PDA

View Full Version : Detailing my F-150 tomorrow...what should I do?!

Pages : [1] 2

CC268
09-23-2016, 09:40 PM
Hey guys,

I am THINKING about doing a full exterior detail on my 2014 F-150 tomorrow now that it is starting to cool off (I may change my mind in the morning haha). Anyways...I did a full detail on it about a year ago that included Iron X, clay bar, Pinnacle Cleansing Lotion and then Collinite 845. The paint is still in excellent shape so there is no need for any heavy correction work, however, if I am going to go over it I think it is worth at least doing a light polish on it before I wax/seal/coat.

I just bought McKee's Paint Coating, but I don't know if I want to go through all the work of applying a coating right now. I would have to do something like Meg's M205 and then the McKees Coating Prep Polish and then the coating. On a big truck like mine that is a ton of work to a three step process like that...but it is a possibility.

I am debating on whether or not I need to Iron X it again...I could do a test spot, but with the blue paint it is very difficult to see Iron X changing colors.

Here is the DA Polisher I have:
-Griots GG6

Here is what I have for pads:
- LC Flat pads (5.5" and 4"): yellow, orange, white, black, blue

Here are the polishes I have:
-HD Speed
-Menzerna 3500
-Pinnacle Cleansing Lotion
-Meguiar's M205
-HD Polish
-McKee's Coating Prep Polish

Here are the waxes/sealants/coatings I have:
-Pinnacle Liquid Souveran (I won't use this on my daily driver as I want longevity)
-Collinite 845
-HD Poxy
-Menzerna Power Lock
-McKees Paint Coating

It's funny because about 80% of the product I just listed above I have never even used before...what can I say...I am a connoisseur of polishes and waxes I guess?

Anyways, what do you guys suggest? I know I need to do a test spot, etc...but I figure I would see if you guys have any combinations that stick out to you guys. I know I really I ought to do the paint coating, but it just seems like a lot of work.

Here are some photos from when I detailed it the first time...

http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz335/Kawasaki268F/2014%20F-150/20150522_185039_zps74kugs5n.jpg
http://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz335/Kawasaki268F/2014%20F-150/20150522_185134_zps6hiasv0w.jpg

BMW435
09-23-2016, 09:56 PM
Give it the baggie test to see if it needs to be clayed again

Eldorado2k
09-23-2016, 09:56 PM
Is your paint in need of claying? What kind of clay do you use?

CC268
09-23-2016, 09:59 PM
Is your paint in need of claying? What kind of clay do you use?

Well when I originally did this I did it with the DP Clay Bar...but I am lazy now and would do it with my Fine Grade Nanoskin Mitt.

I enjoy detailing, but to be honest, my truck takes a lot of the fun out of it because it is so damn big.

My truck is dirty right now, but I just did the baggy test and it definitely needs to be hit with the Nanoskin Mitt

Eldorado2k
09-23-2016, 10:01 PM
Well when I originally did this I did it with the DP Clay Bar...but I am lazy now and would do it with my Fine Grade Nanoskin Mitt.

I enjoy detailing, but to be honest, my truck takes a lot of the fun out of it because it is so damn big.

I'm detailing a 40' RV tomorrow morning.... You have no idea! Lol.

But the money I'm gonna make tomorrow makes it alot of fun.😏lol.

CC268
09-23-2016, 10:01 PM
I'm detailing a 40' RV tomorrow morning.... You have no idea! Lol.

Omg...no thanks...

Eldorado2k
09-23-2016, 10:05 PM
What does the Mckee's Paint Coating Prep Polish do that M205 doesn't and vice versa?

CC268
09-23-2016, 10:07 PM
What does the Mckee's Paint Coating Prep Polish do that M205 doesn't and vice versa?

I don't even know I just bought it as I assumed it would the best product to use before doing the coating. If I could just do like M205 on a black pad followed by the coating though I would do that in a heart beat

Eldorado2k
09-23-2016, 10:13 PM
I don't even know I just bought it as I assumed it would the best product to use before doing the coating. If I could just do like M205 on a black pad followed by the coating though I would do that in a heart beat

Well then do it. I think it's alot simpler than you're making it out to be.. Just wake up early [like 6am. start time] get some coffee if you're into coffee..
Quik wash
Halfways dry
Iron X /lightly agitate it/rinse
Clay towel while it's still wet + clay lube
Dry
Quik polish [either M205 or that McKee's Prep]
Coat that bad boy [or girl, if you refer to your truck as a girl. I've never understood why people refer to their vehicles as girls but whatever. Lol]

CC268
09-23-2016, 10:20 PM
The McKees Coating Prep...do you do section passes like you would apply a polish? Or is it kind of just a quick application like doing a wax and then wipe it off?

Eldorado2k
09-23-2016, 10:21 PM
The McKees Coating Prep...do you do section passes like you would apply a polish? Or is it kind of just a quick application like doing a wax and then wipe it off?

I have no clue. I've never used McKee's Coating Prep Polish.. Nor have I ever applied a coating. Lol.

Someone else will chime in.

CC268
09-23-2016, 10:24 PM
Yea...I guess the quick route would be polish and then Collinite 845 but the longevity of a coating on a daily driver is nice

Eldorado2k
09-23-2016, 10:26 PM
Are you doing it inside your garage? Or outside in the driveway?

CC268
09-23-2016, 10:27 PM
Oh no all the polishing/waxing work is done in my garage...the washing part of course is done in the drive way

pickles
09-23-2016, 11:35 PM
Your house looks sharp. Trucks cool too. The drought tolerant landscape of your neighborhood suggests that you probably get mild winters. Collinite will probably hold. I live in central CA and do a winter detail every year too just to not really need it. I only buy wipers every 3 years or so.