PDA

View Full Version : Coating an RV?

roostermt
09-23-2016, 05:53 PM
I was washing my Trailer in the RV park last week ...after spending a week De-Oxidizing, Polish and LSP wax. Came out pretty good and when you there for a week you get lots of people stopping by.

Looks like I picked up a half dozen Wash, Wax gigs.

Question: I have not but am thinking with the price of the 37 coating it might be worth the upsell for the RV guys that are going to get an Oxidation step...

Thoughts? has anybody used a Coating on RV.

Rooster

Rsurfer
09-23-2016, 06:42 PM
Good durability for the RV owners. Unless the RV was made out of raw aluminum, I don't see a problem.

roostermt
09-23-2016, 07:16 PM
So... Coating on Gel Coat/fiberglass no problem and will stick?

I see Marine 31 coating for Gel Coat but pricing is a bit more and rather have 1 product for painted and Gel/fiberglass.

I'll guess I'll have to try it on mine when the LSP wears off.

Eldorado2k
09-23-2016, 07:48 PM
So... Coating on Gel Coat/fiberglass no problem and will stick?

I see Marine 31 coating for Gel Coat but pricing is a bit more and rather have 1 product for painted and Gel/fiberglass.

I'll guess I'll have to try it on mine when the LSP wears off.

Which lsp do you like for gelcoat RV's?
Based on the description Colonite Fleetwax looks like it'd be good but I haven't bought any yet.

DBAILEY
09-24-2016, 03:57 AM
It would be expensive (assuming its a big RV) but maybe just light finishing with Essence and then the 37/DP Paint Coating like suggested. Would be good lasting protection at the lowest cost. I suggested Essence (besides the amazing gloss) so that you would not have to wipe down the entire RV with panel wipe or coating prep polish.

wash prep --> Gelcoat polish --> Essence --> 37/DP Paint Coating

roostermt
09-25-2016, 01:23 PM
Which lsp do you like for gelcoat RV's?
Based on the description Colonite Fleetwax looks like it'd be good but I haven't bought any yet.

I used Marnie One Wax and Sealant on mine last week. Wow.. super slick... a little Expensive. On mine I did a 3 step and wanted to try the product for a boat I'm going to do. Like alot but a bit expensive.

But this is why I started thinking about coatings. Since at that lever 3 step why not put something on that has a potential longer (up to 2 years) life than an LSP. Nobody, not even me likes going around their RV 3 times a year.
po
Fleetwax is a good choice and have used in the past. I'm headed to more of 1 step Compound, Polish, sealant or All in one lately. If I feel I need a slicker feel afterwords I might put a Spray Wax on. This is based more on the type of Customers I'm getting. Since I'm in the Parks for 3 months at a time they tend to be neglected either by full timers or storage but the customers don't want to spend the $$ for true oxidation removal, polish and lsp.

I also only do 1 or so a week. I'm evolving my procedure.

Eldorado2k
09-25-2016, 01:28 PM
Right on. Thanks for the detailed reply.👍🏽

GSKR
09-25-2016, 01:29 PM
Coating would be a hard sell not to mention your working in the sun.

Mantilgh
09-25-2016, 07:48 PM
The marine one might work better for your application.

Interesting that the prep is a APC wipe down.

Ebg18t
09-26-2016, 05:44 PM
I just coated a 37' Class A Winnebago (painted), luckily it was brand new.. That is a project I never want to do again. I'll just use a good sealant like CarPro Reload next time.

ronkh57
09-26-2016, 05:57 PM
I did it with Hydro2

roostermt
09-29-2016, 09:40 PM
I got the Reload Tip from GSKR and used it the first time yesterday. Rv had not been done in years did a test spot with RV All in One Cleaner Wax on a Orange pad and looked pretty good. It could have used full 3 steps but customer did not want to pay for that so agreed how it would look with one step.

After I got done It looked good but just didn't feel very slick so I spent an extra hour and applied reload on and man it slicked it up. Cust happy.

After pic... Did not get a good before.