PDA

View Full Version : Question about removing fabric coating products?

JWilliams.RadiantDetail
09-23-2016, 11:57 AM
Last week I used 303 Fabric Guard on my neighbors Toyota Corolla, I've always used it on my convertible top and love it. Applied it like I always do, but it just isn't working well. 4 days after applying I gave it the water test to wow her, but uh, yeah it didn't do much lol. Maybe I didn't use enough, I don't know. But my bottles about empty so I'm pondering ordering either Cquarts Fabric or Gyeon's fabric stuff. Now I probably used about 8-10oz in her car, I tested 3 spots, 2 the water ran a little and soaked right in. 1 it did a much better job, but still had a lot of soak in. What should I do here? Just spray the Gyeon stuff directly over it? I have a steam cleaner & SpotPro. I don't know if steam would break up what's there? Or maybe I should just apply it over what's there? I know how to remove everything from wax to a coating, but no idea where to even start here.

Help?

GSKR
09-23-2016, 12:28 PM
Gyeon is better than carpro in the fabric department self tested.wipe those seats down with a drycleaner solution or just extract it.Before extraction spray and agitate a fabric cleaner then extract leaving zero soap residue,then apply Gyeon great stuff.

Rsurfer
09-23-2016, 01:34 PM
Your the first that I've heard of that has had a bad experience with 303 Fabric Guard. Maybe others will chime in.

JWilliams.RadiantDetail
09-23-2016, 02:22 PM
Your the first that I've heard of that has had a bad experience with 303 Fabric Guard. Maybe others will chime in.

I hope nobody reads this who was interested and ends up not buying it, I did mention how I love it on my cloth convertible top. I love every 303 Product I've used, I believe I probably just didn't use enough of it. I'd chalk it up to user error, yeah it's not a difficult product to use, but I seemed to still manag somehow lol.

I think in the future I'll get an atomizing pump sprayer so I can apply it more evenly. And thanks GSKR I think I go with the Gyeon, I've never used a product from them, but I've read nothing but great things from others. And thanks for the tips, I'll use 303 multisurface cleaner + my ghetto extractor.

Eldorado2k
09-23-2016, 02:35 PM
I had a the same experience with the 303 Fabric Protectant on my fabric top.. However it turned out that the reason that happened was because my top isn't actually a convertable top and instead it has a rubber/fiberglass or whatever material underneath it.. I forgot the exact details, but a user here on this forum who works for 303 informed me about these facts and explained why it didn't work properly on my perticular top. It made total sense.

So the question is: Is her top a real convertable fabric top? Or is it a simulated top? If it's a simulated top, I'd forget about applying any kind of waterproofing chemical to it because those tops aren't created equal.

If it is a real convertable fabric top then I dunno, good luck.

JWilliams.RadiantDetail
09-23-2016, 04:04 PM
Oh pardon me for not being specific, I used it on her interior, my car was the convertible. She has the stock interior, which is whatever sort of normal fabric car companies use. Hummm does a convertible Corolla even exist? lol I mean I know factory no, but maybe someone DIY'ed one. I need to go Google that

Eldorado2k
09-23-2016, 04:10 PM
Lmao! I totally missed the part about it being a Corolla.😃 All I saw was "convertable top" lol.

Eldorado2k
09-23-2016, 04:19 PM
I occasionally get random strangers who think my car's actually a convertable... I've been told "wow that's a convertable? That's a real nice car"

I get a good chuckle and think "you really think it's a 4 door Cadillac Seville convertable"?? Lol. If it was it'd be pretty freaking rare [like 1 of a kind] not to mention expensive for being what it was. Lol.

Rsurfer
09-23-2016, 04:59 PM
I occasionally get random strangers who think my car's actually a convertable... I've been told "wow that's a convertable? That's a real nice car"

I get a good chuckle and think "you really think it's a 4 door Cadillac Seville convertable"?? Lol. If it was it'd be pretty freaking rare [like 1 of a kind] not to mention expensive for being what it was. Lol.

If I didn't know any better, that picture sure looks like it could be a convertible.

JWilliams.RadiantDetail
09-25-2016, 12:49 PM
So with Gyeon's product, about how much would gets used for the seats and floor of a normal sized 4 door sedan? 400ml doesn't seem like it would go very far.

Eldorado2k
09-25-2016, 01:01 PM
I think I may have the same issue as far as how can I remove the product.. I can't remember whether it was ScotchGard or 303 that I initially sprayed on the seats of the Kia when it was brand new.. But the time I went to try and clean them with Megs APC the APC just seemed to sit on top of whatever was protecting the fabric and made it impossible to clean. Folex did the same thing. Horrible surprise there. I still haven't checked to see if I can clean the seats normally to this day.

On the back label of ScotchGard it says not to apply it onto "X" or "S" coded fabrics. What the heck is that supposed to mean? I need to call and ask what that is but I never get around to it.

GSKR
09-25-2016, 01:03 PM
None of them do.Get a respirator and mist from a distance to ensure total coverage.The misconception about using a small expensive product is that users tend to think more is better.I got 9 microfiber chairs bottom and top back part done out of that bottle.

GSKR
09-25-2016, 01:06 PM
Using it on floors and seats maybe stretching it.misread floors sorry.