PDA

View Full Version : Xpel paint protection

frankprozzoly
09-23-2016, 08:00 AM
I'm looking at the kits and the prices. Has anyone tried tackling installation themselves

refreshauto
09-23-2016, 09:09 AM
It's not easy as you think. It takes time to get it right and stretch the film the right way and into the right spots to get it right

frankprozzoly
09-23-2016, 09:27 AM
I'm gonna get some quotes then

GSKR
09-23-2016, 09:45 AM
Is your car a daily driver?

frankprozzoly
09-23-2016, 10:00 AM
Unfortunately yes. The bumper is gonna get bad if I don't put something on it. Or if I keep the car, I could paint the bumper in 5 yrs

FUNX650
09-23-2016, 10:00 AM
I suggest that if you do decide to
have some XPel put on your vehicle,
to go with their Ultimate PPF...it has
the 10 year warranty.

Also:
Get the whole hood coverage---not the
"bikini cut" (the 12"-18" piece of film).

Bob

GSKR
09-23-2016, 10:24 AM
Me personally wouldn't put that on my car.Id rather paint the bumper,what if you spend all that cash and get into a accident is your insurance going to pay for a reinstall ?Trade the car in or sell you will never recoup that money.I personally just don't like the look of it at certain angles.Fyi before you pay to have that installed better check everything as far as delamanation razor cuts paint missing from cuts bubbles etc.I hear and see more people taking that off than installing it.

TTQ B4U
09-23-2016, 10:54 AM
Also:
Get the whole hood coverage---not the
"bikini cut" (the 12"-18" piece of film).

That will SIGNIFICANTLY increase the costs due to the size and amount of material. I also would say that if you get the right material that is absolutely clear it won't be necessary. I have Premium Shield Elite as it's perfectly clear and nearly identical in gloss and appearance to the coated and non-coated area. Most others were not when I last looked but I've not seen the latest offerings from others either. PSE also has a lifetime warranty on appearance.

People rarely if ever notice the line on my hood or the fenders just in front of the wheel well as it lines up with the hoods bikini cut lines. The entire front end is done and not noticeable at all.

I've enhanced this image so the line is more visible but otherwise, less the sloppy wax job on top of it by me, it's invisible.

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah133/PDQS4/Audi/DSC01235%20copy%20web_zpsfw0xvlmx.jpg (http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/PDQS4/media/Audi/DSC01235%20copy%20web_zpsfw0xvlmx.jpg.html)

Another

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah133/PDQS4/Audi/Hood%201_zpsw7sxtuq4.jpg (http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/PDQS4/media/Audi/Hood%201_zpsw7sxtuq4.jpg.html)

Last one

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah133/PDQS4/Audi/P1020174_zpshzypqqm8.jpg

In terms of insurance, State Farm did cover mine on an SUV I had when someone backed into me. They didn't even fuss when I mentioned it.

TTQ B4U
09-23-2016, 11:00 AM
Or if I keep the car, I could paint the bumper in 5 yrs

That is always an option, but $500 re-spray and having a car with paint work vs a $500 clear bra that can be removed anytime so long as the installer does a good job. Key is to fully polish and perfect the surface under it. Not only will it yield better clarity but the glue will not get dug into poors or scratches thus making remover difficult. It will come off with simple steam and a proper stretching technique. I've had my buddy who is an installer remove and install them before.

If you're up for the drive to Columbus - 3hrs, I can put you in touch with him. He lives in Dayton thus Columbus is the farthest away he normally goes. You're welcome to use my garage and have him do the install there while we grab a lunch. Standing offer. He's a real artist with this stuff and wraps. Does all custom cuts too-no pre-cut kits. He wraps the edges so it's perfectly invisible and fully protected. Been doing it for over 20yrs. He's done literally dozens of my cars and close friends.

Install on mine when I first got the car.

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah133/PDQS4/Audi/DSC00491_zps5mj8kq3i.jpg (http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/PDQS4/media/Audi/DSC00491_zps5mj8kq3i.jpg.html)

What I have done:

1/3rd front of hood
Front 1/3rd of fenders - matches hood lines
Entire front clip - all painted surfaces and lights
A pillars
Roof - in front of sunroof
Rocker panels all the way back
Inside all 4 doors - kick panel areas

FUNX650
09-23-2016, 11:28 AM
That will SIGNIFICANTLY increase the costs
due to the size and amount of material.

People rarely if ever notice the line
on my hood

It's not because of the "line"...that
I always suggest going full hood...
instead of the 12"/18" bikini-cut.

It's because the first rock chip to
occur will be right around either
12 1/2"/18 1/2" from the front
of the hood.

"Damn the extra expense...
Full Hood Ahead!"

Bob

TTQ B4U
09-23-2016, 11:34 AM
It's not because of the "line"...that
I always suggest going full hood...
instead of the 12"/18" bikini-cut.

It's because the first rock chip to
occur will be right around either
12 1/2"/18 1/2" from the front
of the hood.

Gotcha. Mine goes back 24" No chips :)

All depends on the rake of the hood. My friend can do whatever depth is needed or will be best based on the car.

FUNX650
09-23-2016, 11:51 AM
Gotcha. Mine goes back 24" No chips :)

All depends on the rake of the hood. My friend can do whatever depth is needed or will be best based on the car.
My Father-in-Law wants the front of
his Trike wrapped...Care to mention:

-Name of Friend's Business
-Where at in Dayton
-Contact NOs.

TIA

Bob

TTQ B4U
09-23-2016, 06:06 PM
My Father-in-Law wants the front of
his Trike wrapped...Care to mention:

-Name of Friend's Business
-Where at in Dayton
-Contact NOs.

I'll PM You.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
09-23-2016, 08:11 PM
Me personally wouldn't put that on my car.Id rather paint the bumper,what if you spend all that cash and get into a accident is your insurance going to pay for a reinstall ?Trade the car in or sell you will never recoup that money.I personally just don't like the look of it at certain angles.Fyi before you pay to have that installed better check everything as far as delamanation razor cuts paint missing from cuts bubbles etc.I hear and see more people taking that off than installing it.

Let me clarify some....

As long as you have receipt, insurance will cover to have it reapplied, or at least part. Same with ceramic coatings.

You will not recoup per say when you trade of sell your car. However; it can. A dealer knows that under that film is good paint, usually less money on chip/scratch repair, etc. The better your car looks at trade in ,the more you get. Film definitely factors into this.

You hear/see more people taking it off because they went the cheap route. Like our services, you get what you pay for. A professional shop that does the shop right will definitely be more expensive, but worth it on the long run.