PDA

View Full Version : Swirl finder lights?

srpurdy
09-22-2016, 01:46 PM
Hi,

Can someone explain to me why a LED light for $10-15 at a store is not good enough? Some of these "swirl lights" seem very expensive like $50? why is it so expensive, what is really the difference? I can't seem to find any specs that would make me spend $50 a little pen light, when I can get one at a store for no more than $15? So I ask the real pros that have been doing this longer than I.

Thanks

zmcgovern45
09-22-2016, 01:58 PM
They are good enough... we have 3 inexpensive LED Flashlights that were purchased on Amazon for $15 each. They have a zoomable light pattern which can be changed from wide (flood) to narrow (spot) and have a 900 Lumen output. They work extremely well for inspection, though we do much prefer our stationary LED fixtures for the majority of the work.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/80867-diy-led-work-light-much-better-than-halogen.html

Eldorado2k
09-22-2016, 02:07 PM
Does the $15 LED flashlight at the store come with a set of rechargeable 18650 batteries + charger? If not you're gettin jipped.

You can buy a "2000 lumen" Cree LED like I did for less than $5 on the bay...

They'll throw in a set of batteries + charger and ship it for free for less than $13. This flashlight is so strong and bright it can shine 2 blocks away.

Great for finding swirls.

It's similar to the Flex Swirl Finder light except the Flex light seems like a cheap knockoff of this 1. I kid you not. Lol. Oh and of course the Flex light is like $60-70 bucks for some reason... No complaints about this light. It's sweet.

Jaretr1
09-22-2016, 02:09 PM
There are a variety of lights available also at the big box stores. If you use a light, and it shows defects, then its working!

CC268
09-22-2016, 04:23 PM
Does the $15 LED flashlight at the store come with a set of rechargeable 18650 batteries + charger? If not you're gettin jipped.

You can buy a "2000 lumen" Cree LED like I did for less than $5 on the bay...

They'll throw in a set of batteries + charger and ship it for free for less than $13. This flashlight is so strong and bright it can shine 2 blocks away.

Great for finding swirls.

It's similar to the Flex Swirl Finder light except the Flex light seems like a cheap knockoff of this 1. I kid you not. Lol. Oh and of course the Flex light is like $60-70 bucks for some reason... No complaints about this light. It's sweet.

Wow so that $5 flashlight is actually good? Which one on eBay would you recommend?

Eldorado2k
09-22-2016, 04:33 PM
Wow so that $5 flashlight is actually good? Which one on eBay would you recommend?

The 1 that comes from China. Lol.
I dunno, I just like to hunt for a seller that seems responsible enough and packs a good bargain. I always have great experiences with the Chinese sellers:)
But if you can find a USA seller you'll get it faster, but it may cost a bit more.

CC268
09-22-2016, 04:45 PM
Yea there are a ton of those "Cree" Flashlights on eBay...2 packs of em for like $15

Eldorado2k
09-22-2016, 05:01 PM
Yea there are a ton of those "Cree" Flashlights on eBay...2 packs of em for like $15

The batteries and to a lesser degree the charger are far more important than actual flashlight when it comes to these.. Basically it seems like all the flashlights will be solid enough, but just try and weed out what looks like cheapo sellers when it comes to the batteries & charger that comes with it. If it seems too good to be true and they've got a ton of complaints about that perticular thing in their reviews + shady customer service look elsewhere till you find the good China seller. The good ones care about their rep and stand by the products they sell. I actually buy the batteries from a US seller.

CC268
09-22-2016, 05:02 PM
It doesn't just take like AA batteries?

Eldorado2k
09-22-2016, 05:07 PM
It doesn't just take like AA batteries?

No. It takes 18650 lithium ion rechargeable batteries. They're bigger, stronger, and last a very long time per full charge. They also take a heck of a long time to recharge. I have 4 sets for 2 lights.

The flashlights that take AA batteries are garbage compared to these...

CC268
09-22-2016, 05:15 PM
Interesting guess I will have to do some research on which batteries to buy and all that jazz

Eldorado2k
09-22-2016, 05:27 PM
Interesting guess I will have to do some research on which batteries to buy and all that jazz

Well there's really 3 options:
Option 1 is to buy fully legit real deal "real" Panasonic lithium ion rechargeable batteries, but I think they're like $25 bucks Each. If not more... Crazy.
Option 2 is to buy high quality fake Ultrafire batteries from a seller that looks to make bold claims and actually backs them up to the best of his abilities [based on his reviews] This is why I chose a US seller that appears solid.
Option 3 is most likely what they'll send you for free to go with your good quality flashlight. Mine didn't last long and it wasn't hard to tell I needed better batteries.

But no way I'll be paying $25 for a battery. My inner cheapo won't allow that.😏lol. But who knows, they probably work super great. They better for that price...

srpurdy
09-22-2016, 07:18 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Atleast I already have 6 18650 batteries I use in my e-cigg lol. So I can have spares, and the charger I have for it recharges two of them in like an hour. So really all I need is a flash light thats bright enough. That takes 18650's

The 18650's I have are like $12 each. Really good 2500mah each. So I'm sure in a flash light it will last forever lol.