PDA

View Full Version : AIO Protection Ability

Pages : [1] 2 3

Blackdevil77
09-22-2016, 05:41 AM
I'm looking into getting some HD Speed AIO to do my family and friends cars that don't need a multi-step paint correction. I know this stuff removes light imperfections and protects all in one step. I'm just wondering, how good is the protection it leaves behind? How long does it last? And if I wanted to, could I top it with another layer of protection with something like Collinite 845?

Pats300zx
09-22-2016, 05:48 AM
I end up always topping HD Speed with something so I really can't comment on its stand alone durability. You can top it with 845 without issues. In the end I think you will get much greater durability with using 845.

Eldorado2k
09-22-2016, 05:51 AM
I've never used HD Speed, but from what I've heard, the protection it leaves behind isn't very durable at all. I think you'd be better off using Mckee's 360 AIO. It's protection is said to have 6 months worth of durability.

http://www.autogeek.net/xmt-360.html

That's a bold statement coming from an AIO, but then again you don't hear any other AIO's making that sort of claim.

http://www.autogeek.net/fco32ozxmt36.html

Octopiston
09-22-2016, 05:59 AM
No experience with hd speed, but I used M37 360 on my mother-in-laws truck back in April. Thing sets out 24/7 and it is still beading water. She has been thrilled about it because she can usually hose it off after a rain and it looks clean again. It also isn't getting dusty like it did before. It could have more cut, but it is an aio and not a compound. My 2 complaints are the bubble gum smell, and the pink color that I haven't been able to get out of white pads.

Blackdevil77
09-22-2016, 06:21 AM
Thanks for the replys. I don't mind additing a layer of 845, that's easy. I was just wondering if you could apply it on top of the protection that HD speed puts on the car without issue.

As far as the Mckees goes, how does it compare to HD speed as far as correction and gloss? The protection aspect isn't much of a selling point to me since I would top whatever AIO with 845 anyway.

briarpatch
09-22-2016, 06:27 AM
I'm no expert, but I'm guessing the difference in protection stems from the fact that Speed combines correction with a wax, and Mckee's 360 combines correction with a polymer sealant

Eldorado2k
09-22-2016, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the replys. I don't mind additing a layer of 845, that's easy. I was just wondering if you could apply it on top of the protection that HD speed puts on the car without issue.

As far as the Mckees goes, how does it compare to HD speed as far as correction and gloss? The protection aspect isn't much of a selling point to me since I would top whatever AIO with 845 anyway.

Here's the best thread showing a side by side comparison between the 2.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=100054

Jeremy1976
09-22-2016, 06:32 AM
I always top an AIO. Generally with Collinite 845. An added layer of protection!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Blackdevil77
09-22-2016, 07:01 AM
Here's the best thread showing a side by side comparison between the 2.

McKee's 37 360 vs HD Speed - A quick review and comparison (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=100054)

They both look like fantastic products. I guess you can go wrong with either.

I always top an AIO. Generally with Collinite 845. An added layer of protection!

I'm no expert, but I'm guessing the difference in protection stems from the fact that Speed combines correction with a wax, and Mckee's 360 combines correction with a polymer sealant

That exactly what I'd be doing, topping the AIO with 845. I'm guessing you can top either product with 845, but with the Mckees, you probably don't have to with the amount of protection it provides.

Pristine Image
09-22-2016, 07:22 AM
I always top an AIO.

For those of you that do this, doesn't that defeat the whole purpose behind an AIO? Why not just use, as an example, a Menzerna light polish followed by 845 as you'd get slightly better correction results? Sure the protection may be slightly less but not by a dramatic amount. This isn't meant as criticism as each of us have our particulars on how we detail, I'm just curious.

PS - I used HD Speed for the first time this past weekend on two vehicles and fell in love with it. I can't attest to the wax durability but I will add however that on the product description on AG it doesn't mention the word "glaze" where as it does have that word on the bottle. Regardless, the results were beyond what I was expecting and it has become a main stay product in my arsenal for AIO clients.

Jeremy1976
09-22-2016, 07:54 AM
In the Midwest, Wisconsin more specifically, I like the added protection. I look at HD Speed as a compound and appearance enhancer. For the 10-15 minutes it takes me to apply an extra layer of protection by machine, it's well worth it.

I don't know the longevity of Speed alone either. I'd hate to have issues with customers not being happy. To me it's a regular process. I always top it.

FUNX650
09-22-2016, 07:55 AM
I don't mind additing a layer of 845,
that's easy.

I was just wondering if you could apply
it on top of the protection that HD speed
puts on the car without issue.

^^^That's a good question^^^

Here's the answer:

The protection aspect isn't much of a selling
point to me since I would top whatever AIO
with 845 anyway.

Bob

WaxMaster1
09-22-2016, 08:02 AM
I did this exact same thing last weekend. I did a CR-V with HD Speed and topped with Collinite. My experience is that Speed's biggest attributes are the Cleaning and Polishing steps it performs, not the LSP. I have topped with Poxy as well.

motion732
09-22-2016, 08:28 AM
Why even use an AIO if it needs to be topped? Why not just go with a trusty polish like 205 and then add your LSP? This never made sense to me.

Setec Astronomy
09-22-2016, 08:34 AM
Why even use an AIO if it needs to be topped? Why not just go with a trusty polish like 205 and then add your LSP? This never made sense to me.

Yeah. Although some of the argument posted here seems to be if you have a sealant-based AIO, and top it with 845, then you're getting that sealant-topped-with-wax thing. I haven't used Speed or 360, but every AIO I've used has been more difficult to work than a straight polish, so it does seem to defeat the purpose of using an AIO if you're going to top it anyway.