PDA

View Full Version : McKees Black Steak Remover on Decals

MikeD0904
09-21-2016, 08:48 PM
I just purchased and received McKees RV Black Streak Remover and noticed the bottle label states to avoid vinyl decals. I have a 2013 Keystone Bullet Premier and regularly wash the trailer along with the roof each time but was short on time the last two washes. Hence, the black streaks. Anyway, the trailer is covered with vinyl graphics and are in excellent shape. What are some of the techniques you've used to avoid getting the black streak remover from the the graphics? The only thing that I can think of is taping them off or perhaps use a sponge to apply the product sparingly to the affected area. I appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Mike

wing commander
09-21-2016, 11:25 PM
Sounds like your idea of the sponge should work. Test on a small hard to notice area.

dcjredline
09-21-2016, 11:53 PM
I won the McKees RV line and I have to say one of the products in the line that didnt work for me was the black streak remover. Id be surprised if it works for you at all. I ended up having to use the paint cleaner on the streaks from the roof. I dumped the BSR out and one other but cant think of it right now.

The UV50 Tire dressing I LOVE!!!!!!, as do I love the Waterless wheel wash & polish spray!!!!!!!!! Bug remover isnt great but OK, polishes/compounds are good. And I wouldnt give the MPC (APC) very high marks either.

Nick McKees37
09-22-2016, 07:23 AM
I just purchased and received McKees RV Black Streak Remover and noticed the bottle label states to avoid vinyl decals. I have a 2013 Keystone Bullet Premier and regularly wash the trailer along with the roof each time but was short on time the last two washes. Hence, the black streaks. Anyway, the trailer is covered with vinyl graphics and are in excellent shape. What are some of the techniques you've used to avoid getting the black streak remover from the the graphics? The only thing that I can think of is taping them off or perhaps use a sponge to apply the product sparingly to the affected area. I appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

Black Streak Remover is a potent chemical, so we erred on the side of caution and said "avoid vinyl decals" to make the product, as Mike Phillips would say, "bubba proof." With that being said, I would try a small test spot first. The biggest thing is to NOT let the cleaner dry on the decal.

Sounds like your idea of the sponge should work. Test on a small hard to notice area.

Solid advice!

I won the McKees RV line and I have to say one of the products in the line that didnt work for me was the black streak remover. Id be surprised if it works for you at all. I ended up having to use the paint cleaner on the streaks from the roof. I dumped the BSR out and one other but cant think of it right now.

The UV50 Tire dressing I LOVE!!!!!!, as do I love the Waterless wheel wash & polish spray!!!!!!!!! Bug remover isnt great but OK, polishes/compounds are good. And I wouldnt give the MPC (APC) very high marks either.

Black streaks are like water spots....if they've been on the surface for a long time, they're no longer topical and will require an abrasive polish to completely remove. This is not the product's fault, but the user for letting it go so long without being fixed.

Having a wax on the surface will greatly reduce the amount of effort required to remove the black streaks.

MikeD0904
11-01-2016, 10:15 PM
Mike,

Black Streak Remover is a potent chemical, so we erred on the side of caution and said "avoid vinyl decals" to make the product, as Mike Phillips would say, "bubba proof." With that being said, I would try a small test spot first. The biggest thing is to NOT let the cleaner dry on the decal.

Solid advice!

Black streaks are like water spots....if they've been on the surface for a long time, they're no longer topical and will require an abrasive polish to completely remove. This is not the product's fault, but the user for letting it go so long without being fixed.

Having a wax on the surface will greatly reduce the amount of effort required to remove the black streaks.

Thanks for all the help gents. All sound advice. I will report back after use. My trailer was recently waxed so hoping that and McKee's will get rid of the black streaks.

Mike

GSKR
11-02-2016, 06:19 AM
Try a cleaner wax on the decals.