PDA

View Full Version : Washing a car with nothing but only using steam cleaner????

choijw2
09-21-2016, 08:57 AM
So I watched this detailer using nothing but steam cleaner to wash a car.

Looks like he is very eco friendly detailer ....

anyways, is this something safe to do on paint and LSP? assuming there is no vinyls and clear bra

Mike Phillips
09-21-2016, 12:52 PM
I was specifically asked my thoughts about this and I typed up a detailed answer.

I don't have time to do a search right now but anyone else with extra time might be able to find it.

:)

choijw2
09-21-2016, 01:43 PM
I was specifically asked my thoughts about this and I typed up a detailed answer.

I don't have time to do a search right now but anyone else with extra time might be able to find it.

:)

Let me know if anyone finds this!!!

I did quick search, but cant seemed to find one wrote by Mike!!

here is the video I watched

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCq2YzNdjzk

Mike@ShineStruck
09-21-2016, 04:07 PM
It has to be the optima steamer which is stupid $$$$
All other ones , even of they have the pressure of 120(Vaporchief)-140psi(vapor Rhino)..they don't have the flow
With that said, I think it'd be a slow way about things

Youd be better off making a low pressure system or an air compressor setup

On both the vapor rhino and the vapor chief
Process seemed slow,
Think it was iffy on wetness,
Chemical injection wasnt atomized , it seemed too concentrated to be usueful

Jeremy1976
09-21-2016, 04:20 PM
I wouldn't. And I have a steamer. Hell, I'm still uneasy about doing a RW or WW....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mike@ShineStruck
09-21-2016, 04:23 PM
Post 3 for Mike Phillips post
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/102117-searched-forums-advice-requested-steam-cleaning-exterior.html#post1391603

Mike@ShineStruck
09-21-2016, 04:30 PM
Also when detailers want to remove a PPF job, they infact use steam to aid in its removal, so think about that.

GSKR
09-21-2016, 04:30 PM
Better charge for it,those steamers are big bucks and me personally wouldn't use that.

ducksfan
09-21-2016, 06:05 PM
You need one of the big boys to wash paint with. I have a Dupray and I tried doing a couple of panels once to see how it worked - way too slow. You need a LOT of steam volume to clean paint with.

Also, isn't boiling water a technique some use to remove sealant from MF's. I would think if you were going to wash this way, you would need to put a sealant on regularly (maybe every time for some sealants).

The ideas been around for awhile and never really caught on. Probably a good reason why.

GSKR
09-21-2016, 06:23 PM
Those high pressure steamers aren't cheap.I looked at one 3 years ago 9k.I see a liability as well.Those hoses will blast off that machine or gun like a grenade,not to mention getting burned or damage to a vehicle.major psi coming out of that.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
09-21-2016, 08:30 PM
Theres a guy on a Facebook group I am in that uses a Lamborghini Steamer and adds ONR in the water. Im with Mike on this topic except........

Cleaning wheels, tires, wells, and other lower non-painted areas while in a garage in the winter if the occasion rises. I used this method often when I lived in CNY.

VISITOR
09-21-2016, 08:50 PM
i wouldn't feel safe washing a car with a steamer, at least with waterless/rinseless/traditional washes they have polymers/surfactants to help lift contaminants when wiping...