PDA

View Full Version : Coated windshield fogging outside when it rains.

VeloNYC
09-21-2016, 08:18 AM
This phenomenon started happening 5 years back and I thought this is normal or something to do with the car. Now I got a new ride a year ago and before I coated windshield in last May the windshield never fogged or retained a morning dew. Now, after the coating (I applied couple of different within 20 months Carpro, Gtechniq and proklear) the windshield fogs outside on the bottom whenever its raining (and I'm driving) and wet from a morning dew when it a car parked overnight. I looked around an noticed in my neighborhood sometimes my car only the one with dew on the windshield.
Has anyone else experienced this?

GSKR
09-21-2016, 08:41 AM
First thing I would do is start over.strip glass with a compound or cleaner polish.Then ipa repeadly and choose one glass coating not mixing different brands.Then see where that gets you.

FUNX650
09-21-2016, 10:57 AM
•In a nutshell:
-I was taught that foggy windshields are
a result of water-vapor formations.

-Putting a smooth film (like a glass Coating)
over the tiny imperfections in the windshield
surface can, in many cases, reduce and/or
make it harder for the water vapor to find
nucleation points.

•Regardless...Coated, or not...
When the windshield does fog up:
-I find that by turning on the air
conditioning system, using the "heat"
function, works in getting rid of the
foggy conditions quite handily.

-Keeping the entire windshield as
clean as possible can also make a
huuuge difference. Especially before
putting the vehicle to bed for the night.

Bob

VeloNYC
09-21-2016, 11:19 AM
First thing I would do is start over.strip glass with a compound or cleaner polish.Then ipa repeadly and choose one glass coating not mixing different brands.Then see where that gets you.

It was done before applying new brand. It didn't happen before any of these coatings were applied.

•In a nutshell:

nucleation points.

Bob

Out of 100 vehicles parked on my street this is make sense that only my car has coated windshield. It didn't fog outside during 4 months from Jan to May before I applied coating, it started doing this right after. My previous vehicle was the same. I turn AC from the day it started happening but it is kind of not cozy keeping inside temp close to outside temp when it is 60F.

umana2482
09-21-2016, 11:36 AM
Removed the coating, problem solved.

The Guz
09-21-2016, 12:20 PM

I agree. Seems like there are too many products on the glass causing some incompatibility issues.

rlmccarty2000
09-21-2016, 01:22 PM
So from this thread I get that a glass coating can cause water vapor to collect causing a fogging effect. Is this correct? I get fogging when the temperature outside is more humid/hotter than the interior regardless of whether I've used a coating or not. Anyone have any real science to prove coatings cause fogging?

VeloNYC
09-21-2016, 03:29 PM
No the coating was not layered up. This problem started from the point when the first coating was applied which was FlyBy30. It was removed in Jan 2016, Corey suggested to use ceriglass to remove it. I removed it with Riccardo clay (yellow), ceriglass, 90% IPA. Then Gtechniq G1 was applied for 8 months the same process of removal. Now I have proklear, and outside windshield bottom part fogginess persist as a morning dew beads in the morning (which is not a complain against mother nature). For me virtually impossible to leave the windows not coated, a car sits sometimes a week outside not being touched and different cr@p etching is unavoidable.

Ready for the weirdest part? There is always a circle from the driver's side is not affected like the rest (5" diameter) of the windshield by moist. It is just stands out clearly. I thought it might be a suction cup from the plant, but after 3 different coatings and two ceriglass applications it is still there.

Setec Astronomy
09-21-2016, 03:44 PM
I'm not sure why this is causing so much consternation for the membership. I find freshly coated/sealed/waxed surfaces, whether they be glass or paint, are much more prone to condensation (shall we say "micro-beading"?), than bare surfaces. I think Bob was saying the same thing but he lost us in the science.

Ready for the weirdest part? There is always a circle from the driver's side is not affected like the rest (5" diameter) of the windshield by moist. It is just stands out clearly. I thought it might be a suction cup from the plant, but after 3 different coatings and two ceriglass applications it is still there.

Possible it IS a suction cup mark but on the interior surface of one of the laminations and effects the heat transfer through the glass?

GSKR
09-21-2016, 04:38 PM
No the coating was not layered up. This problem started from the point when the first coating was applied which was FlyBy30. It was removed in Jan 2016, Corey suggested to use ceriglass to remove it. I removed it with Riccardo clay (yellow), ceriglass, 90% IPA. Then Gtechniq G1 was applied for 8 months the same process of removal. Now I have proklear, and outside windshield bottom part fogginess persist as a morning dew beads in the morning (which is not a complain against mother nature). For me virtually impossible to leave the windows not coated, a car sits sometimes a week outside not being touched and different cr@p etching is unavoidable.

Ready for the weirdest part? There is always a circle from the driver's side is not affected like the rest (5" diameter) of the windshield by moist. It is just stands out clearly. I thought it might be a suction cup from the plant, but after 3 different coatings and two ceriglass applications it is still there.Thats not abnormal I see that frequently here in south fla.It is weird and never really crossed my mind now that you brought it up.

chet31
09-22-2016, 03:34 AM
•In a nutshell:

nucleation points.

Bob

I agree, heat w/ defrost would help evaporate the condensation, but using the A/C function would only help if the condensation was on the interior side of the windshield, the OP's condensation is exterior.