PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Lexus LS460 - N00b Questions

fooldall1
09-19-2016, 02:45 PM
Hi, All!

Lots of great information on this page. So much, in fact, my head is literally spinning with information. TOO much info.. LOL

I own a 2009 Lexus LS460, Obsidian Black. Paint is in really good shape overall, but does have some swirls, small scratches, etc. But as it was a garage kept car it's whole life, it's still in great shape. I would say the paint correction would be on the LIGHT side of the spectrum.

Based on the fact that so far I've been able to identify the LS460 paint/clearcoat as "soft", can someone suggest a few good products (easier the better) that last several months before re-application? I can't spend every weekend in the garage. :) As I am also a clear N00b, steps would be appreciated.

ex:

1. Wash with Dawn
2. Clay with spray detailer and wipe with ultra plush MicroFibre towel
3. etc...

I plan on putting on a clear bra in a couple months (when I can afford a spare 800$) so I need to do the paint correction and keep it slick until then.:xyxthumbs:

LEDetailing
09-19-2016, 07:02 PM
Skip the Dawn and use a dedicated car wash soap/shampoo. My favorites, Optimum, Duragloss, and Meguiar's hyper wash. Out of those three Hyperwash and Optimum's don't have any gloss enhancers. You will need to have a good car soap anyways.

Look into buying some bulk detail spray. FYI Wolfgang Uber rinseless wash concentrate (16oz) makes 5 gallons of detail spray for $20. Plus cost of 5 gallons of distilled water.

The $40-50 spent on both car soap and bulk detail spray will save you money in the end.

Good luck and welcome to AGO

Edited: I just did a wash and polish on a co-workers truck. I added Meguiar's All purpose cleaner to the car soap. This really boosted the cleaning ability of the Meguiar's Hyperwash. I would only add APC prior to applying a wax or sealant.

Desertnate
09-20-2016, 09:19 AM
To continue on with what LE already provided...

- A good quality MF chenille wash mitt to actually do the washing. For that soft Toyota/Lexus paint, the softer the better.
- A good SOFT MF waffle weave towel for drying (and read up on drying technique)

Correcting the paint is the real rabbit hole. To do it right:

- A DA polisher. Since the paint is soft and you're only doing your car, the Porter Cable, or entry level Griots should be just fine

- A good inventory of pads for compounding, polishing, and finishing (i.e. LSP application) pads.

- Compound/Polish. You probably won't need a compound, but it's always good to have on hand, just in case. I've used Meguiars Ultimate Compound and Polish with great success on my Toyota Highlander which also has soft paint. Both are very user friendly, inexpensive and can be found anywhere. 98% of all blemishes on that vehicle can be removed with Ultimate Polish and a white Lake Country Flat Pad.

As for LSP's with good endurance which are easy to work with, there are a large number available here. Many have been reviewed too if you're up for all the reading. My current favorite is Collinite 845.

LEDetailing
09-20-2016, 09:57 AM
Well said Desertnate.