PDA

View Full Version : How long to cure

tnbug4me
11-01-2007, 10:58 AM
I just finish waxing with Mothers California Gold Pure Carnauba, How long should I wait before applying Pinnicle Souveran Spray? :cheers:

Jimmie
11-01-2007, 11:40 AM
Unlike sealants there is no cure time required for carnauba wax. I always felt that once I got around the whole car I could start back at the first panel. Some will say wait one hour.

tnbug4me
11-01-2007, 11:54 AM
Unlike sealants there is no cure time required for carnauba wax. I always felt that once I got around the whole car I could start back at the first panel. Some will say wait one hour.

Thanks, i have the day off and hoped to finish. :cheers:

budman3
11-01-2007, 01:16 PM
I would wait a while. The carnauba still needs some time to bond to the paint. If you do it too early, the carnauba would still be 'soft' and may just wipe right back off. It'd be hard to tell if this happened or not because you're adding more with the spray Souveran. So if your looking for maximum durability, I'd wait a few hours.

TOGWT
11-01-2007, 01:40 PM
Carnauba wax application and set-up times:
Like most car care products Carnauba wax is designed to provide maximum results with minimum product application. Let the wax set-up before buffing; allowing a Carnauba wax or Glaze to set-up from one to two hours is more than sufficient as wax doesn’t form a covalent (molecular) bond like a polymer does. Caution; do not allow wax to entirely dry before wiping (some waxes vary, so follow mfg instructions) the atmospheric conditions under which you apply the wax affect how the wax will set up and cure. Humidity affects the application because Carnauba is inherently hygroscopic (absorbs moisture) if you notice dark streaks during the application of Carnauba waxes, it tells you that the humidity is high.

This will also retard the set-up time, usually, if the car is left in the sun for a few minutes after the wax has been applied the streaks will disappear. Windy conditions affect the curing of the wax because winds move more oxygen across the waxed surface, curing it faster. If you must wax your car on a windy day, wax smaller sections at a time (one foot by one foot, 1ft = 12").

CalgaryDetail
11-01-2007, 01:48 PM
there is large debate over how long a wax should cure before a second coat.

I have contacted zymol in the past about what they say to do with there waxes.
They told me to apply the wax and remove (ofcourse).
Once it is all buffed off (so there is no resadue left over) let the wax sit for 3-4 hours. This allows the wax to cure.
after the 3-4 hours used a qd or water (i would say a qd) on the wax. The reason for this is "level" the wax. You can thn apply a second coat after this.

Im not sure if all waxes are like this, but its what I do and seems to work really well.

budman3
11-01-2007, 05:19 PM
there is large debate over how long a wax should cure before a second coat.

I have contacted zymol in the past about what they say to do with there waxes.
They told me to apply the wax and remove (ofcourse).
Once it is all buffed off (so there is no resadue left over) let the wax sit for 3-4 hours. This allows the wax to cure.
after the 3-4 hours used a qd or water (i would say a qd) on the wax. The reason for this is "level" the wax. You can thn apply a second coat after this.

Im not sure if all waxes are like this, but its what I do and seems to work really well.

I would agree with all that you say excpet for using a QD. The solvents in QDs could be detrimental to the wax... A tip I got from a recent thread on DC (from Beemerboy) was to use very cold water, mist the surface and wipe off. This will remove any oily look or residue, curing the wax faster without harming the wax layer like a QD may.

tnbug4me
11-01-2007, 05:34 PM
Thanks everyone for all the information. It was appreciated. :cheers:

CalgaryDetail
11-01-2007, 05:56 PM
I would agree with all that you say excpet for using a QD. The solvents in QDs could be detrimental to the wax... A tip I got from a recent thread on DC (from Beemerboy) was to use very cold water, mist the surface and wipe off. This will remove any oily look or residue, curing the wax faster without harming the wax layer like a QD may.

very true,i guees some of the harsher qd's would do that.
The only thing with water is your are going to get a layer of dust on the car, water may not be good enough depending on the area you are in.

I use victoria wax or optimum qd (onr mixed with water). I have never seen an issue, but then again it would be hard to notice.

so i guees if there is not alo of dust then cold water would be great, if there is a little more dust then a qd.....

Feed back please

TOGWT
11-02-2007, 06:46 AM
Use a 20:1 solution of cold distilled water / ONR (this cleaner contains a surfactant that will encapsulate any dust etc and at this dilution will only provide the required lubrication)