PDA

View Full Version : Polish for a Toyota???

Pages : [1] 2

Ridgeliner
11-01-2007, 10:15 AM
I'm getting ready to place an order and was thinking about trying a different polish, (I have the XMT 1,2& 3).
I also have a friend who wants me to do his 04 Toyota (4 Runner?) anyway it's black and has never been polished....Lots of Swirls.
I've heard that Toyota has a soft clear coat....Any recommendations on type of polish maybe hints on detailing this one?? Wash, Clay, Polish, Protect... Wax I'm going to use is Souveran.

Thanks!! :D

makdaddy626
11-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Menzerna! Actually, the XMT polishes will work, but I do like the Menz stuff better. I used 106ff on my 07 Toyota Tacoma last weekend and was very happy with the results - it was already in good shape though so you might need something stronger if it's badly swirled.

Ridgeliner
11-01-2007, 11:01 AM
This one has more than it's fair share of swirls....after years of terry cloth towels used to wash and dry....

makdaddy626
11-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Maybe pick up some Menz SIP and Nano? or, use the XMT3 to clean it up and then finish with Nano?

Ong~Bak
11-01-2007, 11:40 AM
Menzerna Power Gloss Compound, then Nano Polish PO 106FF.
Toyota clear is actually medium to hard but does scratch easily.

:cheers:

richy
11-01-2007, 11:49 AM
:iagree:, although you could use SIP..it cuts less and will probably be fine if it's just swirls..even bad ones.

budman3
11-01-2007, 01:12 PM
If it's really bad you may want to try SSR3. Check out member blkyukon's post about the black Highlander he did ... amazing results with a PC!!

Ridgeliner
11-07-2007, 02:48 PM
Thanks for all of the advise! I'm going to order my stiff tonight :D

I'm picking up the car next Wed. I'll post pics as I go. Thanks Again!

makdaddy626
11-07-2007, 04:13 PM
Thanks for all of the advise! I'm going to order my stiff tonight :D

I'm picking up the car next Wed. I'll post pics as I go. Thanks Again!

What did you decide to order?

supercharged
11-07-2007, 04:39 PM
XMT Polishes, or Menzerna polishes (PO106FF). But don't use SIP, I think it's too much for a softer coat.

Detail_Guy
11-07-2007, 04:51 PM
We have an 05' 4Runner, and the Menzerna polishes work extremely well. I've had good luck with IP with a rotary buffer, and Final Polish with a PC. I suspect that the Nano and 106ff will work equally well.

I've also had good luck with Mothers Power Polish with both the rotary and the PC. It can be used with a cutting, polishing, or finishing pad... very versatile product.

makdaddy626
11-07-2007, 05:25 PM
XMT Polishes, or Menzerna polishes (PO106FF). But don't use SIP, I think it's too much for a softer coat.

So what would you do on a softer clear coat that needed corrections that 106 couldn't handle? Is XMT 3 or 4 any better than SIP for soft clears? How?

supercharged
11-07-2007, 11:35 PM
So what would you do on a softer clear coat that needed corrections that 106 couldn't handle? Is XMT 3 or 4 any better than SIP for soft clears? How?
it is always sater to use the least aggressive polish. I'd step up on the cutting pad. If that didn't work, I'd try XMT 3 with a cutting pad.
I wouldn't use SIP on soft clear (Toyota is the softest) unless I really have to.

makdaddy626
11-08-2007, 09:25 AM
it is always sater to use the least aggressive polish. I'd step up on the cutting pad. If that didn't work, I'd try XMT 3 with a cutting pad.
I wouldn't use SIP on soft clear (Toyota is the softest) unless I really have to.

I agree that using the least aggressive FIRST is the way to go, but your original statement, "Don't use SIP" on softer clears sounds different than saying try something else milder first... I was just looking for clarification and I'm still a little confused...

Are you saying that since Toyota CC is soft, SIP will probably not be needed, or that using SIP is in some way dangerous to use on soft clear. I have a hard time believing that even SIP can remove that much CC with a PC or UDM even on soft clear coat. Wouldn't a rotary and Nano remove more CC than SIP and DA?

supercharged
11-08-2007, 10:22 AM
I agree that using the least aggressive FIRST is the way to go, but your original statement, "Don't use SIP" on softer clears sounds different than saying try something else milder first... I was just looking for clarification and I'm still a little confused...

Are you saying that since Toyota CC is soft, SIP will probably not be needed, or that using SIP is in some way dangerous to use on soft clear. I have a hard time believing that even SIP can remove that much CC with a PC or UDM even on soft clear coat. Wouldn't a rotary and Nano remove more CC than SIP and DA?
SIP will most likely not be needed.