PDA

View Full Version : 4:1 Dilution mark is at different location than other bottle?

Pages : [1] 2 3

CC268
09-17-2016, 08:26 AM
What the heck...maybe I am missing something here, but I noticed on my Meguiars bottles (all 32oz) that the 4:1 dilution ratio on say the Super Degreaser is at a different height on the bottle than say the Hyper Dressing 4:1 mark. How does that make any sense when they are the same bottle lol?

Hoytman
09-17-2016, 09:09 AM
It might depend on how strong the concentrate is from the original gallon containers. A gallon of Hyper Dressing and a gallon of Super Degreaser are probably different strengths inside the original gallons. I can't say for sure, but that seems like it would make sense.

Sure for us looking at the bottles 4:1 is 4:1 (one being chemical) and we would think that they should be the same or that we would place 1 amount of chemical in each bottle and four equal amounts of water in each bottle, but I've never seen anything written anywhere, not saying it isn't out there, that tells what the actual strength of the concentrates are. I'm making an assumption here, so take that with a grain of salt.

It certainly doesn't hurt to call Meguiars and to know for certain, but I'd err on the side of the labels of the concentrates and on the labels of the bottles for each respective chemical being correct. That doesn't mean they are, but it's likely they are correct.

Mike Honcho
09-17-2016, 09:40 AM
Are the marks molded into the bottle or marked on the label? The 4:1 mark on a 32oz bottle equates to 6.4oz. Does the 4:1 mark hit about halfway between the 6 and 7 oz marks on both bottles?

BrutalNoodle
09-17-2016, 09:45 AM
Since we're dealing in volume, I would guess it's a goof/misprinted.

How much of a difference are we looking at here? Do you have a photo of the bottles side by side?

LittleKing24
09-17-2016, 09:49 AM
How much is the difference? It may have to do with the viscosity of each product. The dressing I would think would be thicker, therefore require more water? Not sure which bottle suggests more water but it's a wild guess pending if they're product specific bottles

Mike Honcho
09-17-2016, 09:56 AM
That really shouldn't matter. We are talking about ratios, not viscosities. 4:1 means 4 equal parts to 1 equal part whether it's cake batter or water.

CC268
09-17-2016, 10:39 AM
Probably about a 1/4" of a difference...I'm not gonna sweat over it...

FUNX650
09-17-2016, 10:46 AM
I noticed on my Meguiars bottles (all 32oz)
that the 4:1 dilution ratio on say the Super
Degreaser is at a different height on the
bottle than say the Hyper Dressing 4:1 mark.

How does that make any sense
when they are the same bottle
IMO:
Sounds like there needs to be better QC/SPC
systems in place, especially during the placement
of the parison phase (of these particular 32oz.
Meguiar's plastic bottles)---into the stretch blow
molding stage---of the overall (plastic) bottle
manufacturing injection molding process.

•Until that happens:
-I just remember that getting to exactly
32oz is not what matters...it's the ratio;
(just as Mike Honcho states below :props:)

We are talking about ratios...
4:1 means 4 equal parts to 1 equal part
whether it's cake batter or water.

Yes:
•6oz of product/24oz of water
is still a 1:4 ratio...even if it only
totals up to 30oz.
-(I'll make another batch
when that one runs out.)

•Also:
-Mike Phillips has this tutorial
on filling up Meguiar's bottles:
How to properly dilute Meguiar's Detailer Line products (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?27028-How-to-properly-dilute-Meguiar-s-Detailer-Line-products)

Bob

Mantilgh
09-17-2016, 11:02 AM
Different "fill to" lines?

edit: Ah, I see.

CC268
09-17-2016, 11:39 AM
Yea they are all different...real bummer I guess that means I have to hand measure to dilute :(

Mike Honcho
09-17-2016, 12:04 PM
Take pics of the two bottles together

CC268
09-17-2016, 12:08 PM
Take pics of the two bottles together

Not home but I can do it later...I noticed both my APC bottles are different from each other too..

Mike Honcho
09-17-2016, 12:12 PM
You mean the shape of the bottles are different?

Mike Honcho
09-17-2016, 12:14 PM
I really wouldn't worry about it. You're measuring degreasers and tire shine not medicine.

CC268
09-17-2016, 12:57 PM
The bottles are exactly the same...Bob is right that it is a problem originating from when they manufacture the bottles. If you have any Meguiars spray bottles take a look at them and compare two...I guarantee the same dilution ratio will be on different spots...I'm surprised no one else has ever noticed this