PDA

View Full Version : Help Diagnose My Problem

Pages : [1] 2

Blackdevil77
09-16-2016, 09:35 PM
I've detailed multiple cars. My own, my friends, family etc, and everything usually comes out very good. My one biggest problem is the amount of time it takes. I don't understand what I am doing wrong to make the process take as ridiculously long as it does. Today I did mostly a single step paint correction on my car and Collinite 845 on it to seal it. I started at 8am this morning, finished decontaminated a few panels I didn't finish yesterday with my nanoskin pad, and went straight away to correcting. 95% of the job was done with ONLY Menzerna SF3500 on white lake country hybrid pads. Only a few sections needed FG400. It took me until 10pm to get the car done, with one layer of 845 over it. It just takes me a god forsaken lifetime to do this stuff. A single step paint correction shouldn't take 14 hours IMO. Am I moving the DA too slow perhaps as I go through my section passes? I do about 6-8 section passes with the 3500. The results were spectacular, but it still took me forever. What do you think I could be doing wrong to take so long? I took no breaks, not even to use the bathroom!

Hammer77
09-16-2016, 09:47 PM
I am with you Blackdevil77, I too feel like sometimes it is taking too long. Back in July, I spent roughly 20 hours total to wash, clay, polish, and coat my car. And the paint was in good shape, all I did was Wolfgang Finishing Glaze with a white pad prior to the coating. I think part of my problem is overthinking things. I working thinking am I doing this right, where the more experienced person just does it. I think it will come with time. But am interested to see what the pros have to say.

vobro
09-16-2016, 10:05 PM
If you're aiming for an AGO quality finish sometimes it does take a lot of time. Also when you spend time with your face a few feet away from the car you notice more that you can do. Is 10 hours a lot to do what you did? Maybe but you state it came out spectacular so I ask you if that was your goal than I look at it as an accomplishment and it's better than spending a few hours less and being disappointed.
Every paint is different, some wheels are just neglected,some interiors are trashed and throw in different weather conditions that effect how products work and to me there's no set time. What I do on my own cars is have a goal, have all my tools and product organized and perform one task at a time.

Octopiston
09-16-2016, 10:12 PM
14 hours and no restroom break? Go hydrate! Start taking breaks. Stay fresher so you can work faster longer.

What machine, size of pad, and size of car are we talking? I got a 4x4 extended cab F150 fully detailed with a sealant done in 14 hours. That was a stair master kind of day. I've also had a mazda 323 take 8 hours without paint correction, but I spent 3 of that just cleaning dog hair out of the interior.

BudgetPlan1
09-16-2016, 10:13 PM
In the same boat although I *know* I'm moving slowly. For past few months been doing cars on weekends for friends. Usually they drop off Friday, pick up Sunday.

Friday usually 6pm to 10pm.
- Clean the heck outta the tires wheels, prep for Tuf Shine.
- Wash & Dry
- Tar-X if needed, agitate, rinse, dry
- Iron-X, agitate, rinse
- Nanoskin clay mitt/clay bar

Saturday 6am to 6pm
- Test sections to figure out what to do
- Tape trim/plastic/windows
- 2 step compound/polish

Sunday 6am to 2pm
- Finish up any panels not done previous day ( usually front/back ends)
- Prep/wipedown
- Coating, Sealant or wax
- Coat tires, Tuf Shine
- Coat, seal or wax wheels
- Dress plastic/rubber trim
- Clean & coat, seal or wax doorjambs
- Clean exterior glass

Vehicles come out great...

I spend a lot of time moving around (cords, lights, equipment) the garage and wandering around after finishing panel (hood, roof, trunk, side of car) shaking out the kinks. I change pads often and brush/blow with air after each section and that takes time but, in the end, I'm just slow. I know it and pretty much just live with it.

GSKR
09-16-2016, 10:14 PM
There are very few pros on here that do this for a living.The promblem you are having is that your in a comfort zone and not paranoid.Taking no breaks from 8am to 10 pm is a lot of time.you do this as a hobby and you just simply take your time.That process is about 3 hrs max.repetion is key to speeding up the process,you will learn quick techniques within 2 months.At the end of the day it's all fun and done right.

BM1024
09-16-2016, 10:22 PM
When I started I was shocked and overwhelmed with how long (and the unexpected physical demands) of doing detailing.

I should have known better, I run a house cleaning company - but it is a problem I run into with my staff, too. How good is good enough and when is it time to move on. For work, we have checklists for each room and level of service. Is the customer paying for just wiping or deep scrubbing? Based on conditions and experience we know how much time each area should take.

(As a side note, when training people we actually use "car wash" examples. A basic cleaning is like the auto-wash at the gas station - get the most grime off, but not perfect just good enough and cheap. A deep clean is like going to a "auto spa" - machine wash followed by hand dry, get missed spots, and a quick interior clean. Our "Platinum" package is the full Monty - A detailer going over every inch and spending all day.)

As for me and my cars, I've starting doing them in steps. One weekend the hood and front fenders, the next the roof & doors, the next the trunk and rear quarters. Since I wash every weekend, this process works for me and keeps me from spending all day on the car or getting too tired.

Blackdevil77
09-17-2016, 07:12 AM
If you're aiming for an AGO quality finish sometimes it does take a lot of time. Also when you spend time with your face a few feet away from the car you notice more that you can do. Is 10 hours a lot to do what you did? Maybe but you state it came out spectacular so I ask you if that was your goal than I look at it as an accomplishment and it's better than spending a few hours less and being disappointed.
Every paint is different, some wheels are just neglected,some interiors are trashed and throw in different weather conditions that effect how products work and to me there's no set time. What I do on my own cars is have a goal, have all my tools and product organized and perform one task at a time.

I definitely feel like it was an accomplishment. Just one that no way should of taken 14 hours. Unfortunately, I have no excuses like that. The weather was absolutely perfect (thank God) And all I did was finish a few panels with nanoskin, and start polishing with SF3500 (one of my new absolute favorite polishes) and a select few areas with FG400 (another new favorite). I think a lot of my problem is the area I have to work in and disorganization. My room is very limited.

14 hours and no restroom break? Go hydrate! Start taking breaks. Stay fresher so you can work faster longer.

What machine, size of pad, and size of car are we talking? I got a 4x4 extended cab F150 fully detailed with a sealant done in 14 hours. That was a stair master kind of day. I've also had a mazda 323 take 8 hours without paint correction, but I spent 3 of that just cleaning dog hair out of the interior.

I know, it's a long stretch, but I'm used to it. At work I have to plow snow, sometimes up to 3 days at a time with one 4 hours break over the course of 3 days. I'm used to slaving lol.

I'm using a Flex 3401 with 6.5 inch Lake Country Hybrid pads. My car is a 2016 Chevrolet SS sedan. The longer I worked on it, the more I was like "Holy s*** there's a lot of surface area on this thing!" On my girlfriends S5, I spent almost 3 hours on the wheels, scrubbing the grime out of the barrels.

I'll post a picture of my car in a few when I back it out of the garage.

In the same boat although I *know* I'm moving slowly. For past few months been doing cars on weekends for friends. Usually they drop off Friday, pick up Sunday.

Friday usually 6pm to 10pm.
- Clean the heck outta the tires wheels, prep for Tuf Shine.
- Wash & Dry
- Tar-X if needed, agitate, rinse, dry
- Iron-X, agitate, rinse
- Nanoskin clay mitt/clay bar

Saturday 6am to 6pm
- Test sections to figure out what to do
- Tape trim/plastic/windows
- 2 step compound/polish

Sunday 6am to 2pm
- Finish up any panels not done previous day ( usually front/back ends)
- Prep/wipedown
- Coating, Sealant or wax
- Coat tires, Tuf Shine
- Coat, seal or wax wheels
- Dress plastic/rubber trim
- Clean & coat, seal or wax doorjambs
- Clean exterior glass

Vehicles come out great...

I spend a lot of time moving around (cords, lights, equipment) the garage and wandering around after finishing panel (hood, roof, trunk, side of car) shaking out the kinks. I change pads often and brush/blow with air after each section and that takes time but, in the end, I'm just slow. I know it and pretty much just live with it.

That sounds similar to what I do. A lot of my problem like I said above, is organization. I work with such clutter, that I'll have no place to put something down, and when I find a place I'll put it down somewhere that I won't be able to find it. I'll spend a half hour here and there searching for something, cursing. I know that wastes a lot of time. Living in Nassau County, everything is small and space is limited. I want a cart to put all my stuff in and wheel it around the car with me, but I literally have no place to put it and on some sides of the car, the car probably wouldn't even fit.

There are very few pros on here that do this for a living.The promblem you are having is that your in a comfort zone and not paranoid.Taking no breaks from 8am to 10 pm is a lot of time.you do this as a hobby and you just simply take your time.That process is about 3 hrs max.repetion is key to speeding up the process,you will learn quick techniques within 2 months.At the end of the day it's all fun and done right.

3 hours!!!??? I wish! I have no idea how that would of taken me 3 hours doing 6-8 section passes over the whole car, moving the polisher at the speed I was moving it at. Maybe I was moving the polisher too slow, I don't know.

Paul A.
09-17-2016, 07:39 AM
The first thing i'll say, BlackDevil, and it's a repeat from an earlier post, i wouldn't worry too much about how long it takes. My objective is to be happy with the results and how i got them. GSKR mentioned something important to consider as well i.e. don't compare yourself and the time it takes you to the pro's who do this for a living. It is tremendously different having to punch out a job for a client, especially when they are paying for your premium service inside and out and will be back to pick it up at a certain time.

I also wrestled with this issue some years ago and found myself comparing how much time it took me to some of the faster folks. The key for me was organization. I completely overhauled how my garage or "workshop" was organized. I then documented my steps i.e. what do i do and in what order. I then looked at the physical motions to complete each step, and studied a bit how to become more efficient. I put those into practice along with my newly organized garage and improved somewhat. For example, it took me maybe 2 - 2 1/2 hours for a wash and decon. It is now about an hour for the same results. It comes with frequency and the more you do it, the faster you get. It is now almost rote memory for me going from one thing to the next however it still takes time. One of the best things i did was to buy and load up a detailing cart for what you are doing. I try to exhaust every thought of what i might need and load up the cart and wheel it around with me. No more walking back around the garage for freakin' q-tips or toothpicks! They're on the cart and an arm's length away now. 9 times out of 10 i put some stuff away off the cart at the end of the job because i didn't need it. I'd rather do that than waste 20 seconds having to go over to get something. A LOT of those 20 seconds add up.

Basically, don't worry too much with how long it takes you however a little organization in both thought and material placement helps. Again, the real goal is the final result and there will always be the "pro's" who can get the same or better in half the time.

Also, don't underestimate the need to keep some fuel in the tank for yourself. Nutrition and hydration is important and shouldn't be overlooked. I know i get into a "zone" and either forget or simply press on because i'm on a roll. You still need to keep the "machine" happy and efficient and that's YOU!

Now if i could just get an assistant to unravel my power cord every once in a while i could save even more time!

Mantilgh
09-17-2016, 07:53 AM
I wouldn't worry about it, and not compare your time spent to that of what it would take an experienced detailer to do a "production" job.

No need to hustle like that on something you should enjoy doing to some extent. Organization and experience will reduce the amount of time.

Maintain the finish with good wash techniques and the polish job will be easier next time.

LSNAutoDetailing
09-17-2016, 08:24 AM
Doing your own garage queen can take time if your looking for show car quality. I know on my garage queen, I take my time and I have the luxury to take lots of breaks and pick up where I leave off on another day.

With customers vehix we don't have that luxury... We average 8 to 12 hrs on paint correction, LSP/coating and full interior.

The only time we've spread it over two days is when the custy states they don't require the vehicle for a day or two. And at that we don't like vehics hanging around for liability reasons.

But we still take breaks, lunches and of course have to care for our dogs too! :)

BudgetPlan1
09-17-2016, 09:12 AM
Organization is a lot of it I think. Ok, move to other side of car, move where da is plugged in, move air hose, move where I put machine down, untangle cords...

I did start breaking car into sections, complete all compound/polish steps on section before moving on. Saved some energy there.

And if not a time/money thing, you do kinda get caught up in getting results as good as possible. Sometimes something like Menz 3800 really isn't needed, won't make a real difference but since I tried it on trunk section, may as well do whole car to be "consistent". Likely my own worst enemy.

AutowerxDetailing
09-17-2016, 09:31 AM
3 hours!!!??? I wish! I have no idea how that would of taken me 3 hours doing 6-8 section passes over the whole car, moving the polisher at the speed I was moving it at. Maybe I was moving the polisher too slow, I don't know.

This procedure is a lot of what is dragging out your timeframe. On a client's vehicle, if correction was the goal I would do a few test spots to see if I could dial in a two-step process that would go way faster than 8 section passes of a finishing polish. I would be shooting for something like 1-2 passes of M100 followed by 2 passes of Reflect. It would essentially cut your polishing time in half.

Blackdevil77
09-17-2016, 09:38 AM
Thank you for the responses. I feel a little better taking so long to do my car. A lot of fantastic advice here, I'm glad I made this thread.

The first thing i'll say, BlackDevil, and it's a repeat from an earlier post, i wouldn't worry too much about how long it takes. My objective is to be happy with the results and how i got them. GSKR mentioned something important to consider as well i.e. don't compare yourself and the time it takes you to the pro's who do this for a living. It is tremendously different having to punch out a job for a client, especially when they are paying for your premium service inside and out and will be back to pick it up at a certain time.

I also wrestled with this issue some years ago and found myself comparing how much time it took me to some of the faster folks. The key for me was organization. I completely overhauled how my garage or "workshop" was organized. I then documented my steps i.e. what do i do and in what order. I then looked at the physical motions to complete each step, and studied a bit how to become more efficient. I put those into practice along with my newly organized garage and improved somewhat. For example, it took me maybe 2 - 2 1/2 hours for a wash and decon. It is now about an hour for the same results. It comes with frequency and the more you do it, the faster you get. It is now almost rote memory for me going from one thing to the next however it still takes time. One of the best things i did was to buy and load up a detailing cart for what you are doing. I try to exhaust every thought of what i might need and load up the cart and wheel it around with me. No more walking back around the garage for freakin' q-tips or toothpicks! They're on the cart and an arm's length away now. 9 times out of 10 i put some stuff away off the cart at the end of the job because i didn't need it. I'd rather do that than waste 20 seconds having to go over to get something. A LOT of those 20 seconds add up.

Basically, don't worry too much with how long it takes you however a little organization in both thought and material placement helps. Again, the real goal is the final result and there will always be the "pro's" who can get the same or better in half the time.

Also, don't underestimate the need to keep some fuel in the tank for yourself. Nutrition and hydration is important and shouldn't be overlooked. I know i get into a "zone" and either forget or simply press on because i'm on a roll. You still need to keep the "machine" happy and efficient and that's YOU!

Now if i could just get an assistant to unravel my power cord every once in a while i could save even more time!

It seems like organization is key! I definitely have to get a cart, the whole time I was thinking, if only I had a cart with everything I need on it, I wouldn't have to get up and search around every time I need something.

Organization is a lot of it I think. Ok, move to other side of car, move where da is plugged in, move air hose, move where I put machine down, untangle cords...

I did start breaking car into sections, complete all compound/polish steps on section before moving on. Saved some energy there.

And if not a time/money thing, you do kinda get caught up in getting results as good as possible. Sometimes something like Menz 3800 really isn't needed, won't make a real difference but since I tried it on trunk section, may as well do whole car to be "consistent". Likely my own worst enemy.

I didn't even use my 3800, just ran out of time. I have a show to go to this morning and wanted the car done. I had my light and polisher so 2 cords dragging around, tripping me and trying to kill me.

Here are some pics of the finished product.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk98/Blackdevil77/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC00742_zpssiyycqkj.jpg (http://s278.photobucket.com/user/Blackdevil77/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC00742_zpssiyycqkj.jpg.html)

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk98/Blackdevil77/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC00740_zpshgmyvlcb.jpg (http://s278.photobucket.com/user/Blackdevil77/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC00740_zpshgmyvlcb.jpg.html)

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk98/Blackdevil77/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC00739_zpsh7bvzr0c.jpg (http://s278.photobucket.com/user/Blackdevil77/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC00739_zpsh7bvzr0c.jpg.html)

GSKR
09-17-2016, 09:49 AM
This procedure is a lot of what is dragging out your timeframe. On a client's vehicle, if correction was the goal I would do a few test spots to see if I could dial in a two-step process that would go way faster than 8 section passes of a finishing polish. I would be shooting for something like 1-2 passes of M100 followed by 2 passes of Reflect. It would essentially cut your polishing time in half.
Agree.you have to know your products and pads.I would be out of business on little section passes.I cut the hood in half on some cars.Depends on the hardness or softness.I did a Nissan GT-R 16 in black.Every single panel was deeply scratched.I didn't think a cars condition so new can inflict so much damage.Did a 3 step and coated with pbl 9 hrs total.first day was correction from 10 to 3. The next day had 2 more panels to correct and then I pulled it outside and started stripping.Then finished her up real quick.clearcoat was so hard to level deep rids had to use a rotary on 80 percent of car.Then finished it down twice with da.