PDA

View Full Version : Need help with '92 Ferrari Mondial convertible window. Can this be repaired? Or Replace? 1

Volvonomics
09-16-2016, 08:12 AM
Hi guys, I'd appreciate your help/ input .
At first glance this thing looks trashed. The owner wants me to give it my best shot before replacing it.
My first thoughts were using prepsol to remove any contaminants, followed by claybar, then use polish.
Novus polish kit?
2000 grit or higher, then use aio?

I read somewhere use find steel wool on the rotary and compound.

If you look at a picture you could see a failed attempt that left marks and residue on the window.
Your help is deeply appreciated.

I'm getting error message, not sure server / hand held device issue. I'll try posting pics in a bit.

refreshauto
09-16-2016, 08:43 AM
Picture did not show up, but for glass get ceriglass from CarPro and the pad that goes with it also. Follow the directions to a T

Paul A.
09-16-2016, 08:52 AM
Absolutely second the Ceriglass approach!

Volvonomics
09-16-2016, 09:05 AM
/

Volvonomics
09-16-2016, 09:11 AM
i guess i should have mentioned, it's plastic.
would ceriglas work on this?

Volvonomics
09-16-2016, 09:12 AM
would it work on plastic?

Paul A.
09-16-2016, 09:15 AM
I wouldn't use Ceriglass on plastic material. I would guess that might be too aggressive. Ceriglass is a product designed to buff glass which is much harder than plastics, vinyls etc.

The important thing for me whenever doing plastic windows is to lay it flat as best you can. I don't like putting any stress on how its held in with maybe stitching. The last hacked up rear convert window i did was with a mix of acetone and distilled water and a hand rub (not machined). I washed it thoroughly after cleaning it up and then used Plexus to finish it off. When my Plexus runs out i will be getting some McKee's Plex-All.

antti@561detailing
09-16-2016, 09:47 AM
Search this forum, I know it's been done. Plastic windows can be restored. I think Robert used Meq m205 and polishing pad to bring it back. But I am sure it was done by hand.

Crispy
12-09-2016, 08:08 PM
You might want to check out marine products for polishing plastics.

There are lots of info on marine plastic restoration on this site.

GSKR
12-09-2016, 08:18 PM
Search this forum, I know it's been done. Plastic windows can be restored. I think Robert used Meq m205 and polishing pad to bring it back. But I am sure it was done by hand.
You are correct.

MarkD51
12-09-2016, 09:41 PM
Of course Novus isn't sold here, so I might be talking CaCa, and see yet another thread go the way of the DoDo Bird, but Novus Polishes have been around a mighty long time, and probably in truth, most "plastic fix-um" products sold today are essentially nothing more than "carbon copies" of such.

I've never used this product personally via machine, but imagine such products can be used in such a manner, if you exercise care and caution as you go. Heat will be the main snafu to worry about (burn)

Sometimes though, you cannot expect such products to remove yellowing, this might go through and through the plastic without any possible hopes of a cure-fix.

If it was me, and I could perhaps get the factory correct new piece to install, I might go that route, as long as I wasn't possibly compromising the value and originality of the vehicle. But, as many know, sometimes, and with oldies, like old Vettes, etc, one often doesn't have much choice but to resort to aftermarket replacements.

GSKR
12-10-2016, 10:41 AM
Need pics otherwise this thread is dead.

WAXOFF
12-10-2016, 08:44 PM
I never did see the picture but if I had to try and fix a plastic window I would cut a piece of cardboard that was fairly strong and cut it to the shape of the window and tape it on the inside of the top to give the window some strength so it wouldn't flex as much under the weight and pressure of the buffer.

oldmodman
12-11-2016, 03:12 AM
No.
Nothing will help enough to make it "like new"
Take the car to a top shop and have a new plastic panel sewn in. It's not that expensive. It's just a piece of clear pliable plastic. It's the topmans skill that will make it a good or bad install.