PDA

View Full Version : Long term fabric and leather protection

Pages : [1] 2

bwall244
09-15-2016, 10:41 AM
I have been doing some reading but only coming up with a few answers, I just want to make sure I am doing the best thing possible. I have all weather mats in my 16 Yukon but I would like to protect the carpet around the edges and most importantly the headliner. I haven't seen many comments on coating a headliner for long term protection. The main 2 fabric options I've seen have been 303 and cquartz fabric, are both of these safe for a headliner? Is there a better option? I imagine I'll want to mask off most of the interior if I'm spraying the headliner?

As for the leather my biggest concern is bolster wear. Being in a vehicle that you have to get down out of it is hard to completely avoid sliding across it. I want to create as much durability and flexibility in the leather as possible. Also the leather is VERY matte perforated and I would like to keep it that way.

The Guz
09-15-2016, 11:15 AM
For long term protection on leather car pro offers their leather coating.

CarPro Cquartz Leather Coating (http://www.autogeek.net/cquartz-leather-coating.html)

It won't do anything for bolster wear. Abrasion will still wear out the coating over time. Be sure to do a test spot if the color of the leather is light in color.

Eldorado2k
09-15-2016, 11:20 AM
What color is your headliner?

bwall244
09-15-2016, 11:46 AM
Leather is a fairly matte black with white stitching. Headliner is light tan

Eldorado2k
09-15-2016, 12:11 PM
If I were you I'd just use some ScotchGard for the headliner. Reason being is this can sprays like an aerosol.

Whereas 303 has a trigger spray bottle and is less convenient when trying to spray upwards onto headliner and more likely to accidentally over saturate it.
The ScotchGard allows you to spray an even light coat. Works for the carpets as well.

ronkh57
09-15-2016, 12:53 PM
I've got the Gyeon, but haven't tried it yet.

But what Eldorado said about an aerosol for the headline makes a ton of sense.

Octopiston
09-15-2016, 01:12 PM
I've never worried much about modern headliners outside of keeping them clean, and I tend to keep my cars longer term than most (8-12 years). Its usually the foam that is under the material that fails and I don't see UV being the reason as much as heat and maybe moisture, and no product can prevent those. I have yet to replace a headliner or have issues within that time period. The exception being used cars that were older when I bought them.

As stated for bolster wear, you'll have to adjust the way you get in and out of the vehicle. Maybe some running boards would help. I have used collinite 855 on leather. It makes the surface feel slicker so you could possibly slide over easier. Regular maint may prolong their life, but it won't stop the wear. Another possible alternative would be to use seat covers as a sacrificial layer.

bwall244
09-15-2016, 01:20 PM
For the headliner I'm thinking protection from dirty fingerprints(dirt, grease, makeup ect) or from an opening soda that sends one tiny drop.

zero4
09-15-2016, 01:35 PM
I use Leathermaster for leather protection and 303 for fabric protection. It's worked so far with no issues.

Octopiston
09-15-2016, 01:42 PM
For the headliner I'm thinking protection from dirty fingerprints(dirt, grease, makeup ect) or from an opening soda that sends one tiny drop.

Scotch guard and threats of severe bodily injury. Hahaha

Eldorado2k
09-15-2016, 01:45 PM
Mhm. Don't forget the threats. Especially when youngsters are along for the ride. All it takes is 1 ice cream cone and your headliner could be done for. Lol

bwall244
09-15-2016, 01:48 PM
Mhm. Don't forget the threats. Especially when youngsters are along for the ride. All it takes is 1 ice cream cone and your headliner could be done for. Lol

And it's entirely probable for an entire cone to end up on the headliner, hence me working on protection plan. ha! The aerosol plan makes a ton of sense for the headliner. Still figuring I'll have to mask off the rest of the interior in the process.

Eldorado2k
09-15-2016, 01:51 PM
And it's entirely probable for an entire cone to end up on the headliner, hence me working on protection plan. ha! The aerosol plan makes a ton of sense for the headliner. Still figuring I'll have to mask off the rest of the interior in the process.

It says not to use on vinyl & leather, so best bet to at least tape off a couple of widths of masking tape at the very least.

CC268
09-15-2016, 04:33 PM
If I were you I'd just use some ScotchGard for the headliner. Reason being is this can sprays like an aerosol.

Whereas 303 has a trigger spray bottle and is less convenient when trying to spray upwards onto headliner and more likely to accidentally over saturate it.
The ScotchGard allows you to spray an even light coat. Works for the carpets as well.

I bought a hand held pressurized sprayer that I put my 303 in and it works great...saves product too IMO

CarolinasFinestDetailing
09-15-2016, 07:32 PM
So for protecting the carpet, I like to brush the carpet all one way and coat, then brush back opposite way and coat. This can be done multiple times if desired.

For headliner, spray the fabric coating on suede towel and apply via block. Multiple coats if desired, especially round kids seating and pillars where water would touch.

For leather, CQuartz leather. It would somewhat darken the leather, not add gloss. Multiple coated on bolsters that see traffic. Don't forget you can coat the steering wheel and armrests as well that are leather. Makes cleaning a breeze.