PDA

View Full Version : Coating vinyl wraps

AutoAppeal
09-13-2016, 11:43 AM
Whats the consensus here on coating vinyl wraps? New customer is looking to maximize the longevity of his newly installed wraps after only seeing 24-36 months previously. Couldn't get much info from them on what vinyl was used or their maintenance regimen, but this seems to be a rather short life span as I personally use opti-seal on our wrapped van and its held up great so far, nearing 3 yrs mark. I saw someones post about gloss coat over vinyl on his lexus awhile back and was wondering if anyone else cared to chime in with real word experiences? thanks AG

Zelfiris
09-13-2016, 12:49 PM
Whats the consensus here on coating vinyl wraps? New customer is looking to maximize the longevity of his newly installed wraps after only seeing 24-36 months previously. Couldn't get much info from them on what vinyl was used or their maintenance regimen, but this seems to be a rather short life span as I personally use opti-seal on our wrapped van and its held up great so far, nearing 3 yrs mark. I saw someones post about gloss coat over vinyl on his lexus awhile back and was wondering if anyone else cared to chime in with real word experiences? thanks AG

I was the one who posted about the lexus wrapped in gloss vinyl. Gloss coat lasted a good 13-14 months for me before I stopped seeing water beads. Optimum had advised me (in a different forum) that won't last long for matte/satin vinyls.

Have you asked your customer if its gloss or satin/matte finish for his wrap?

AutoAppeal
09-13-2016, 01:01 PM
Thanks for chiming in Zelfiris. Your original post was a good one, loved the color. I believe is the typical glossy vinyl used for most commercial advertising wraps likely 3M or Avery. Was it optimums opinion that a coating would last significantly longer on the glossy vinyl? At just over a year longevity it would be hard to justify the coating cost.

Zelfiris
10-21-2016, 09:22 AM
Thanks for chiming in Zelfiris. Your original post was a good one, loved the color. I believe is the typical glossy vinyl used for most commercial advertising wraps likely 3M or Avery. Was it optimums opinion that a coating would last significantly longer on the glossy vinyl? At just over a year longevity it would be hard to justify the coating cost.

My apologies, completely missed this thread until I got an email notification just now. Yes, it was a rep at Optimum who responded to me.

My wrap was produced by 3M

FUNX650
10-21-2016, 09:43 AM
New customer is looking to maximize
the longevity of his newly installed wrap...

Couldn't get much info from them
on what vinyl was used or their
maintenance regimen...

I don't know about you, but
in my dealings with people:
that raises a red flag.

And:
With different vinyl wraps having
their own set of different nuances...
I'd hold off taking on this new customer
until they provided their vinyl wrap's
manufacturer, type, generation/series,
installer, etc.

That would at least give you an
opportunity to contact the wrap's
manufacturer for their recommended
maintenance products/regimen.

Bob

Outdoorfunguy01
04-17-2017, 06:34 AM
You might want to visit

Edit: Spam link removed - Mike Phillips

Spammers - have you ever thought about getting a real job?

:laughing:

WillSports3
04-17-2017, 08:00 AM
Realistically re coating a car once a year is a lot cheaper and less time consuming to rewrap a car. My question would be what does he mean by the wraps only lasting 24 to 36 month?