PDA

View Full Version : Lexus Self-Healing Paint

Pages : [1] 2

asianstyles
09-12-2016, 10:32 AM
I purchased a brand new Lexus RX 350, which is touted as having "Self-Healing Paint". Here is information from the owner's manual:

Self-restoring coat
The vehicle body has a self-restoring coating that is resistant to small surface scratches
caused in a car wash etc.
● The coating lasts for 5 to 8 years from when the vehicle is delivered from the plant.
● The restoration time differs depending on the depth of the scratch and outside temperature.
The restoration time may become shorter when the coating is warmed by
applying warm water.
● Deep scratches caused by keys, coins, etc. cannot be restored.
● Do not use wax that contain abrasives.

It says "do not use was that contain abrasives". Does this mean using a clay bar should be avoided? Also, would the McKee 37 Coating Prep Polish be okay to use?

mwoolfso
09-12-2016, 10:48 AM
Yes, no clay. Maybe a vey fine clay would be OK but essentially anything that you do to this vehicle will remove the self-healing layer - which is essentially a layer that cures but over a long time. An exaggerated example, somewhat but not completely analogous is the Hoover Dam. That wall's concrete is still drying and curing after all these years.

Wash and wax normal. Use chemical cleaning polishes and to be safe no buffers. Do get a heat gun though. :-)

asianstyles
09-12-2016, 10:54 AM
Yes, no clay. Maybe a vey fine clay would be OK but essentially anything that you do to this vehicle will remove the self-healing layer - which is essentially a layer that cures but over a long time. An exaggerated example, somewhat but not completely analogous is the Hoover Dam. That wall's concrete is still drying and curing after all these years.

Wash and wax normal. Use chemical cleaning polishes and to be safe no buffers. Do get a heat gun though. :-)

Thanks. Also, would it be fine to use a paint coating rather than a wax? Such as the McKee paint coating.

TTQ B4U
09-12-2016, 11:09 AM
cool stuff for sure. @Audios S6 is familiar with these types of coatings so I'm sure he will chime in.

Deranged_9n3
09-12-2016, 12:23 PM
Sorry for my ignorance, but does the car come from factory with self healing clearcoat or did someone at the dealership coat it ??

Reason for me asking:

● The coating lasts for 5 to 8 years from when the vehicle is delivered from the plant.
● The restoration time differs depending on the depth of the scratch and outside temperature.
applying warm water.

I see the word coating used twice and this is mind boggling to me

asianstyles
09-12-2016, 12:38 PM
Sorry for my ignorance, but does the car come from factory with self healing clearcoat or did someone at the dealership coat it ??

Reason for me asking:

Self-healing clearcoat on the 2016 Lexus RX from the factory. I didn't have any additional paint protection/coating added by the dealer.

zmcgovern45
09-12-2016, 12:57 PM
My experience with these types of clear coats is that they will certainly still develop swirls and scratches which will not just go away on their own. There is plenty of information on this on the Club Lexus forum which you may wish to look into as a new Lexus owner.

This stuff sounds cool in the sales brochure, but do not expect miracles here. You will likely still need to machine polish the car within the next 2-3 years, if not sooner. As you may expect, proper care with washing and maintenance is still just as important as with regular clear coat.

Detailing clay can be used as needed.

Deranged_9n3
09-12-2016, 01:03 PM
Self-healing clearcoat on the 2016 Lexus RX from the factory. I didn't have any additional paint protection/coating added by the dealer.

Thanx ! First time I heard this, but mind you, Lexus are not too popular in South Africa

GSKR
09-12-2016, 04:20 PM
I purchased a brand new Lexus RX 350, which is touted as having "Self-Healing Paint". Here is information from the owner's manual:

Self-restoring coat
The vehicle body has a self-restoring coating that is resistant to small surface scratches
caused in a car wash etc.
applying warm water.
● Deep scratches caused by keys, coins, etc. cannot be restored.
● Do not use wax that contain abrasives.

It says "do not use was that contain abrasives". Does this mean using a clay bar should be avoided? Also, would the McKee 37 Coating Prep Polish be okay to use?
I did a 2016 Lexus the big one in black,I don't remember the model but it was like 90k the owner said.That paint is so finicky,I used HD speed with a gg6 with a brandnew primed pad and marred it like crazy.carpro reflect fixed what I have done with speed.I would be super careful on that paint if it's the same paint system.maybe see if Lexus has any polishes or waxes for that paint.Ag has plenty,but I wouldn't want to give you the wrong product advice sorry.

Mike Honcho
09-12-2016, 04:59 PM
What pad did you use on that 2016 black Lexus?

Setec Astronomy
09-12-2016, 05:08 PM

Wasn't CarPro coming out with a coating like this? That they previewed at SEMA year before last (2014)?

Oh, here it is: CarPro Immortal - Self-Healing Technology (http://www.carpro-immortal.com/)

shadwell
09-12-2016, 05:22 PM
I did a 2016 Lexus the big one in black,I don't remember the model but it was like 90k the owner said.That paint is so finicky,I used HD speed with a gg6 with a brandnew primed pad and marred it like crazy.carpro reflect fixed what I have done with speed.I would be super careful on that paint if it's the same paint system.maybe see if Lexus has any polishes or waxes for that paint.Ag has plenty,but I wouldn't want to give you the wrong product advice sorry.

I had a similar experience.. I ended up treating it like a very soft paint, it corrected esily but marked easily..
Funnily enough I ended up on Reflect with LC Orange pads.. which i changed out more oftn than normal (was paranoid about marring..)...
If i recall i also moved a little more slowly across the panels and reduced the work area to get the reflect to do its cut and finish down fully... seemed to work..

GSKR
09-12-2016, 06:19 PM
I had a similar experience.. I ended up treating it like a very soft paint, it corrected esily but marked easily..
Funnily enough I ended up on Reflect with LC Orange pads.. which i changed out more oftn than normal (was paranoid about marring..)...
If i recall i also moved a little more slowly across the panels and reduced the work area to get the reflect to do its cut and finish down fully... seemed to work..I was nervous,I polished the truck about 3 pm and finished about 6 pm.It was in a shaded area so I didn't pick up the induced marring till the next day.Had to go back and do a wax on a c class.It literally looked like Brillo and the paint was matted.I must of pulled out 40 products and pads till the good ole reflect saved my but.lost my butt as far as labor and profit on that truck.

asianstyles
09-12-2016, 06:33 PM
Based on what I am hearing in this discussion, I should be careful.

I think I will skip the clay. I will wash, apply the McKee Coating Prep Polish by hand, and then apply the McKee Paint Coating. Any issue with this? This is a new car with less than 100 miles, and has been garaged since purchase.

shadwell
09-12-2016, 06:40 PM
Nightmare..
Luckily the ownwer (a mate) was bangin on a bout his self healing paint and i said great when is it going to start healing? (cos it was swilred... )...
I went onto the lexus forum and read some drama's others had had and all seemed to be using polishes rather than finishing polishes with a long run time..
I figured bugger that.. i'm gonna start p1ss weak and see what i get... i tried the scholl gold light polish pad first but it was a little too weak with the reflect.. so i stepped on tot eh LC orange and it seemed to respond.. i was Just nervous about keeping the pads super clean (a little like jewelling.. super clean andchnage often..)..
I showed him the diference and he says we have to do the whole car.. he actually offered a few hundred bucks and helped along the way...
I used 476s on it too and that worked a treat but again i was nervous of maring from MF's... i wouldn't let him buff after all that work..

He also got a bollocking about drive thoughs and hand washing like a chimp.. fair play it still looks pretty good..

tried to find pics but i don't have em.. nuts