PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious stains on alloy wheels

ch35iM
09-11-2016, 07:52 PM
Took my wheels off the other day to give them a good clean/polish/seal as well as to clean the undercarriage and wheel wells. While I had them off I noticed these stains (pic), similar on all 4 wheels. It didn't budge with Klasse or megs ultimate compound with a light cutting pad on a DA... so wheels back on and onto the forum. Any suggestions? (Don't mind the steaks I had yet to buff off the sealant when I took the picture, and I swear it looks worse in person and can been seen when the wheels are on the car).

GSKR
09-11-2016, 08:12 PM
Hard to see.looks like the coating is coming off.

Sizzle Chest
09-11-2016, 09:16 PM
If you can, post up some more pics. From what I can see I'm gonna go with GSKR or possibly something etched into the clear/powdercoating.

Are they factory wheels?

ch35iM
09-11-2016, 10:45 PM
Not with the car right now no more pics. The stain area is just as smooth as the rest of the paint i.e. no chipping or peeling, "its under the paint"

GSKR
09-12-2016, 06:45 AM
Chemical or Presoak damage perhaps.

shadwell
09-12-2016, 06:58 AM
Just a reminder that factory finishes are not flawless.. Similarly for refinished wheels...
So never rule out manuf.

The fact it's on all four suggests some chemical cause when it was sat for some time..
Cause a little immaterial cos if you can't remove it with light abrasive then you'll run out of paint / clear and need them refinished anyway... Just a barrel refinish may be quite reasonable money..
Assuming the faces are pristine.....

Best of luck.