PDA

View Full Version : Please help! Does PBL surface cleansing polish stain trim?

emmjay
09-11-2016, 12:47 PM
Hello Mike and everyone who reads,

I have finally corrected a Honda Pilot, god its huge! I have also applied solution finish due to which I cannot continue tonight (its 10 pm here) as the solution finish needs to cure.

As soon as morning arrives I would like to coat the car and get it out of the way as its been 5 long days with this car...I dont know how you guys do it.

I want to use the PBL surface cleansing polish to prep the paint, but I have already taken off allll the tape to use solution finish and to make sure the tape doesnt bake in this heat. The Pilot has too much plastic trim and if the PBL Surface cleansing polish stains trim then I do not want to use it and I will use Wolfgang perfect finish paint prep instead.

I would like to stay in the PBL line as I want to use the coating, but I do not want to if it stains trim, rendering this purchase useless, as I will probably never use it if it stains trim.

+ + Its 40 degrees in the morning here (105), any tips on how to use the coating? Smaller areas, faster wipe off, anything to make my life easy? :D

Thank you so much!

The Guz
09-11-2016, 02:29 PM
It will stain trim. Especially if it's not removed right away.

Octopiston
09-11-2016, 02:34 PM
It and the m37 equivalent will stain trim.

emmjay
09-11-2016, 03:07 PM

Man that sucks! After all that hard work, this last step could have been so much easier like the wolfgang line, or the 100's of other coatings out there. Just a spray and wipe type product would have helped a lot for this coating line. Oh well.
Thank you though!

I found a post where Mike Phillips said he used it on all paint, hard plastic and glass surfaces. Im guessing the hard plastic is not the plastic trim.

Could I use the WG paint prep instead?

I also saw a post where Nick said, "if you dont use the PBL surface cleansing polish, the coating is sure to fail....." umm okay then. But at the same time Andre@Autogeek himself used IPA with the PBL coating. So I am really lost at this point.

Max @ PBMG (the owner of PBMG) said the aim of the Pinnacle Black Label line was ease of use and amazing results with minimal amount of product.

Using the surface cleansing polish completely contradicts that. Its far from easy to use, still stains trim...ugh...its a last step for crying out loud.

Rant over...

The Guz
09-11-2016, 03:34 PM
The paint prep spray should work. There are a few posts about using it with PBL.

Eldorado2k
09-11-2016, 03:39 PM
@emmjaygti. I can't blame you for being p*****.
This would never happen to that dude from Meguiars Asia... He'd be out there applying it in direct sun with perfect results.😂lol.

57BORNTORUN
09-11-2016, 05:59 PM
I don`t see why you can`t use Wolfgang Perfekt Finish Paint Prep.Spray on and wipe off.We have used it in the Show Car Garage before applying PBL Diamond Paint Coating. I coated my car recently with the combo with great results.

Octopiston
09-11-2016, 07:51 PM
It and the m37 equivalent will stain trim.

I need to ammend my post. Regular pinnacle and m37 will. Acronym was right, but my mind processed it wrong. I have no experience with the pbl paint cleaner

WillSports3
09-11-2016, 11:20 PM
I think Nick might have meant that if our don't clean the paint fully and used the PBL paint cleansing lotion as a product synergy. As long as your paint is cleaned the coating will be fine.

emmjay
09-12-2016, 03:01 AM
@emmjaygti. I can't blame you for being p*****.
This would never happen to that dude from Meguiars Asia... He'd be out there applying it in direct sun with perfect results.��lol.

LOOOL! Made my day!

emmjay
09-12-2016, 03:04 AM
Thanks a lot guys. Ive decided to tackle it a little differently. On all surfaces that are not near any trim I plan on using the PBL polish, but any surfaces near trim I will use the Wolfgang paint prep.

So lets say I am prepping the doors, I will use it on all of the door, but up top near the window rubbers I will use the spray.

I think this is the safest way to do it, to maintain the product synergy.

Thoughts?

BudgetPlan1
09-12-2016, 04:35 AM
Thanks a lot guys. Ive decided to tackle it a little differently. On all surfaces that are not near any trim I plan on using the PBL polish, but any surfaces near trim I will use the Wolfgang paint prep.

So lets say I am prepping the doors, I will use it on all of the door, but up top near the window rubbers I will use the spray.

I think this is the safest way to do it, to maintain the product synergy.

Thoughts?

I'd just use the WG Paint Prep for whole vehicle...easier & quicker. Synergy-Shminergy in this case methinks.

GSKR
09-12-2016, 06:48 AM

Ditto.

GSKR
09-12-2016, 06:49 AM
Or just stay away from trim altogether.

emmjay
09-12-2016, 03:49 PM
A little change of plans.

I used the PBL surface polish on the hood. It was a pain to wipe off, caked up and dried almost immediately. Even when I did a tiny area. I massaged it in, by the time i reached the end of the working area, I grabbed the towel to wipe and nothing....it just caked up and dusted everywhere. I was gonna pull my hair out.

After this I just used the Wolfgang paint prep spray.

Now...the coating....whole different story, which I will leave for another thread.