PDA

View Full Version : Cheap coating applicators?

CC268
09-11-2016, 11:03 AM
Hey guys,

I am wondering if you guys have suggestions for good cheap coating applicators (glass, wheel, paint)? The Lake Country coating applicators are nice, but at $10 for 2 it seems a bit pricey. Any suggestions?

vobro
09-11-2016, 11:19 AM
CarPro suede applicators work for me

dpk20x
09-11-2016, 11:22 AM
I really like the round cotton applicators that came in my Cquartz kit. I actually preferred using them over the suede applicator. Don't think Carpro sells them separately but if you google cotton make up applicator I'm sure you'll find something similar.

The Guz
09-11-2016, 11:59 AM
Depends on the coating that is being used.

CC268
09-11-2016, 12:28 PM
This is for McKees Coatings. Can the LC applicators be washed and used for different types of coatings or is it kind of a one time use thing?

The Guz
09-11-2016, 01:23 PM
For McKee's and PBL I find it best to stick with the LC applicators. The wheel and glass applicators can be reused. I have reused the one's I used for the paint with no issues. I soak them in APC right away and then wash them out some more.

For coatings like Cquartz, the block and suede applicators would be what I recommend. Gloss Coat works with either the block and suede or the provided blue foam applicator.

CC268
09-11-2016, 01:55 PM
Well that's good to know I can reuse the LC applicators I suppose I will order another set so I have 4 applicators in total.

Setec Astronomy
09-11-2016, 02:05 PM
I like the Anthony Orosco method, or a derivative of it. Anthony's method for Opti-Coat application (well, one of them), is to take a yellow foam applicator, put it in a nitrile glove, and wrap a blue Scott shop towel around it. If I'm doing small areas (like a headlight) I'll just use a small square or folded over rectangle of the shop towel. It's kind of like a disposable version of the microfiber suede.

oldmodman
09-11-2016, 05:46 PM
I use the CarPro suede cloths. I take a small, very soft sponge and wraps a very thin sandwich bag around it. The I wrap the CarPro suede cloth around that. This method prevents the product from being wasted by soaking into the sponge.

I do not attempt to reuse the cloths. I throw them out after that one use. I also throw away the sandwich bag. I tried the Scott shop towel method a couple of times. But I must have been pressing too hard. It tore and gave me uneven coverage. But the glove idea is a good one since they are even thinner and softer than a sandwich bag.

TTQ B4U
09-11-2016, 06:52 PM
You have PM.

GSKR
09-11-2016, 07:07 PM
Eggcrates glide over the surface and super cheap and disposable.

Setec Astronomy
09-11-2016, 07:53 PM
Eggcrates glide over the surface and super cheap and disposable.

Eh?

GSKR
09-11-2016, 08:06 PM
Has to be a thin eggcrate not the thick cushy foam.Got that idea from a merc dealer.my friend works in the parts dept and any parts delivered from merc have eggcrate.Been using eggcrate for applying conditioners to waxing and makes a great wash mitt.

Setec Astronomy
09-11-2016, 08:18 PM
Been using eggcrate for applying conditioners to waxing and makes a great wash mitt.

Optimum Waffle Wash Pad (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-waffle-wash-pad.html)

GSKR
09-11-2016, 08:28 PM
Yes same concept but not as thick.I have so much eggcrate I can puzzle my whole driveway with it.