PDA

View Full Version : How often to re-apply WDGPS3.0?

Mjgillen
09-10-2016, 10:32 PM
Hi guys!

Kind of new at this, and still learning. Recently I detailed my 2006 Toyota Highlander with a wash, clay bar, Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0 and two coats of WDGPS3.0

I'd love to have that buttery satin finish last forever - so how do I do that?

I am thinking about re-applying WDGPS3.0 periodically after a wash to get that buttery satin finish back.

How often? Every three months? Every month?

Is there a better way to achieve that I want.

The car is a daily driver and parked outside so it will get abused. I wash it every two weeks, more often if needed.

Thanks for the help!

Michael

custmsprty
09-10-2016, 10:34 PM
as often as you want too

Eldorado2k
09-10-2016, 10:50 PM
I think he means, how often does he have to re apply the WDGPS3.0 before it drops off and begins to allow contaminants to start bonding on his buttery satin finish he's currently enjoying on day 1.

@OP. I wish I could help answer your question, but I don't even know what that acronym means. I'm guessing it's something Wolfgang?
Btw, I think you're asking a great question. Smart thinking.

57BORNTORUN
09-10-2016, 11:45 PM
I think he means, how often does he have to re apply the WDGPS3.0 before it drops off and begins to allow contaminants to start bonding on his buttery satin finish he's currently enjoying on day 1.

@OP. I wish I could help answer your question, but I don't even know what that acronym means. I'm guessing it's something Wolfgang?
Btw, I think you're asking a great question. Smart thinking.

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0

Eldorado2k
09-10-2016, 11:54 PM
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0

Ahh thanks. I had been sort of wondering in the back of my mind what it could possibly be without cheating and looking it up. I began to think it might not be Wolfgang based on the WD.

AZpolisher15
09-11-2016, 12:18 AM
The first thing that comes to mind is to start using a "spray wax" for maintenance after washes (now that you have a nice base of sealant applied). Doing so will greatly extend the longevity of your sealant. I'd look into the WG Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant or WG Instant Detail Spritz. Im not sure which would be best, as I've not used them. Hopefully someone else will chime in ;)

Eldorado2k
09-11-2016, 01:54 AM
The first thing that comes to mind is to start using a "spray wax" for maintenance after washes (now that you have a nice base of sealant applied). Doing so will greatly extend the longevity of your sealant. I'd look into the WG Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant or WG Instant Detail Spritz. Im not sure which would be best, as I've not used them. Hopefully someone else will chime in ;)

What kind of longevity do you typically get using this method? Meaning how long from the point where you've clayed and layed down your base on smooth paint, till you clay again?

mcate
09-11-2016, 04:32 AM
I do my 2 daily drivers twice a year. Once before winter & once after. I'll clay, compound if necessary, polish, & seal. WDGPS 3.0 is one of the sealants I use, with Menz PL being the other. I'll throw a coat of carnauba on top every couple of months as a refresher.

PA DETAILER
09-11-2016, 04:50 AM
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-deep-gloss-spritz-sealant.html)

Apply when the finish is looking like it needs a refresh. Basicaly just about the same as WDGPS only in liquid form.

Griots Garage Spray-On Wax 35 oz. (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-garage-spray-wax.html)

Use the above after each maintenance wash. It will EXTEND the looks and protection of your WDGPS.

No need to overthink it. Any quality sealant should last 6 months. Twice a year is a good yardstick. Spring and fall.

And if you feel the need to top the WDGPS...

Wolfgang Fuzion Spray Wax offers extended wax protection that was previously not available in a spray! (http://www.autogeek.net/fuzion-spray-wax.html)

Mantilgh
09-11-2016, 06:22 AM

^This.

I haven't used it but I would think that 6 months would not be unreasonable. I use their Spritz Sealant and it's a very nice maintainance product. Does not streak and be used on just about everything.

But washing it regularly will help remove things that may eventually bond to the paint.

FUNX650
09-11-2016, 11:21 AM
Of course there are many variables that
can affect the longevity of WDGPS, but
I can expect to easily get ~3-6 months
whenever I perform, just as you did:
a back-to-back application of this Sealant
(factor the 12hr. cure-time in between)

•To maintain the characteristics of WDGPS,
before its reapplication...I'll use:
Meguiar's D114 ("leaves nothing behind");
or, Wolfgang Instant Detail Spritz:
It was "created to complement
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0".

Bob

pickles
09-11-2016, 12:36 PM
Refresh the sealant layer with WG QD and their spray sealant. That will keep your "buttery smooth" feeling.

ducksfan
09-11-2016, 01:03 PM
I have (and have used a few times) all three of the products listed above. I would not count on the Quick Detailer adding much to the life of the sealant. You would be better off using one of the better quick waxes.

The Spritz Sealant will add longevity to the sealant. But, be aware, It requires the same 12 curing time (w/o moisture), is supposed to be applied to a clean, bond-able surface and should probably be applied in the shade (not sure on manf. rec. here). In other words, about the same effort as putting on another coat of sealant.

You could just use it as a detailer. But, you could also just wipe on another coat of sealant as a maintenance every month or two without paying for an additional product.

Many options - you pick.

GSKR
09-11-2016, 08:37 PM
as often as you want tooDitto or just coat it.

AZpolisher15
09-14-2016, 09:54 PM
What kind of longevity do you typically get using this method? Meaning how long from the point where you've clayed and layed down your base on smooth paint, till you clay again?

Bob is right on the money. 3-6 months is a reasonable estimate. But it's just so hard to put a number on it. Some weeks I might wash a vehicle 3 times and others maybe not for 3 weeks. And in the winter it's always gone on the rockers loooong before anywhere else.

Just an example... I put DG 105 on a vehicle this spring, maintained all summer with Aquawax, and it's still going strong. I'm confident it'll have another couple months left. Without that Aquawax maintenance, I don't think it woulda gone this long. Again, it's hard to say. But maintaining with spray waxes is just good practice. And it works.

Regarding claying, on my own vehicles I do a thorough job once a year. Might hit the horizontal panels as necessary a couple more times.