PDA

View Full Version : Carbon fiber wheel care

Joey8656
09-10-2016, 05:50 PM
I just picked up a set of carbon fiber rims for my car. They are manufactured by 360 and have a clear coat.

I purchased p21s wheel cleaner for them but I would like to wax and seal them before I mount them. Can anyone make a recommendation for a product that is safe for waxing/ sealing them.

Also, if anyone recommends a different cleaner for brake dust removal any recommendation would be appreciated.

TroyScherer
09-10-2016, 06:29 PM
Since they are clear coated you should be able to use almost any wheel cleaner or wax you want. But if it was me I would put a coating in those wheels to cpkeep them protected from the beginning. I would suggest opti gloss coat or maybe even the WG coating.

shadwell
09-10-2016, 06:46 PM
Biggest issue will be clear failure from stone chips and the like..

Carbon fibre when exposed to elements is susceptible to UV...

I would use the hardiest coating you can and have some clear nail polish ready to seal small chips... Then every year or so re finish and recoat as required....

Been doing the same in CF bikes for years. ....

Harry Da Hamster
09-10-2016, 09:02 PM
Curious to see the wheels on the car!

Clear coat is paint. So any coating will do.

Joey8656
09-10-2016, 10:14 PM
Since they are clear coated you should be able to use almost any wheel cleaner or wax you want. But if it was me I would put a coating in those wheels to cpkeep them protected from the beginning. I would suggest opti gloss coat or maybe even the WG coating.

Thanks for the replies.. Is wg coating a product? I googled it and could find it. I be only started to dabble in detailing my new car and the only products I have are some Adams stuff and blackfire stuff.

Given what the wheels cost- I don't mind spending whatever I have to in order to protect them.

shadwell
09-11-2016, 03:27 AM
Wolfgang....

BudgetPlan1
09-11-2016, 04:28 AM
Gyeon Q2 Rim works well.

TroyScherer
09-11-2016, 07:15 AM
Is wg coating a product?

Sorry. WG is short hand here for Wolfgang. I should have known better now looking at your post count and join date.

In general a coating will protect better and last longer. You can find a lot of products here on Autogeeks web site and they even break them down by area you want to focus on. (Wheels)