PDA

View Full Version : What lighting source do you use for white and sliver colored vehicles?

74 thing
09-08-2016, 11:49 PM
What lighting source do you use for white and sliver colored vehicles? I have a hard time picking up the defects with these colors under normal lighting conditions or using a led, xenon, or halogen portable light or flashlight. The best I can do is turn off all the lights and use an old clip on incandescent light and I can see some of the defects at certain angles. There has to be a better way.

shadwell
09-09-2016, 01:05 AM
I use a combination of lights, LED spotlights on an adjustable stand,
The garage 2 sets of quad flouro's
LED bike lights...
And natural lights through the garage Windows... Often the most effective

Changing my position to look across the panel is especially required on white panels... Often means I am on the floor to find em... Family think I'm nuts... 52117

Eldorado2k
09-09-2016, 01:18 AM
The sun.

zmcgovern45
09-09-2016, 06:52 AM
I have an article on the Detailed Image AAP Blog specifically about inspecting light colored vehicles... check it out :)

74 thing
09-09-2016, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the info Zach. I have found that turning off the lights and just using your inspection light works the best for me so far on white and silver (especially when they are not hammered). The brightness of the sun reflection does not help due to the intensity/gloss coming off the surface except if you have a really swirled out car.

What kinds of lights work best for you in the low light environment?

zmcgovern45
09-09-2016, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the info Zach. I have found that turning off the lights and just using your inspection light works the best for me so far on white and silver (especially when they are not hammered). The brightness of the sun reflection does not help due to the intensity/gloss coming off the surface except if you have a really swirled out car.

What kinds of lights work best for you in the low light environment?

Check out my DIY lights.... http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/80867-diy-led-work-light-much-better-than-halogen.html

In addition to those, I also have some LED flashlights that we use regularly.

Eldorado2k
09-09-2016, 11:07 AM
The brightness of the sun reflection does not help due to the intensity/gloss coming off the surface except if you have a really swirled out car.

You're absolutely right. I recall trying to inspect the paint on this Cadillac with natural sunlight and I couldn't believe how bad it hurt my eyes trying to look directly at it. Couldn't see a dang thing using the sun until late afternoon..

Eventually I figured it out + my Cree LED worked to a degree.. Paint was hard as hell.

emmjay
09-09-2016, 01:35 PM
I use LED flood lamps. I have 2. One is 6000k portable as in no stand. It sits on the floor.

I have a dual 3500K or 4000k LED floodlight setup on a stand. This mimics the sun very very well! I used to use halogen but that gets very very hot and the bulbs would die out really fast.( I find these a lot lot better than the 6000k in showing defects. I feel the 6000k does wash out a little. But its good to have nonetheless )

These are just as good has halogens when mimicking the sun, but not at all hot!

I found them at a local hardware store and paid them a little extra to wire it up for me :)

Mine look like this
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1qjawJpXXXXazXFXXq6xXFXXXJ/Super-bright-6pcs-Outdoor-led-floodlight-bulbs-50W-LED-flood-lamp-font-b-wash-b-font.jpg