PDA

View Full Version : How do I approach detailing my mustang's engine?

Ruben12
09-08-2016, 10:41 PM
Hey guys, I have a 2016 mustang 5.0 and the engine has a good layer of dirt on it. I have heard that many of the newer generation vehicles engines important parts are sealed away from water. Any advice on what I should cover before cleaning it? Anything helps! Thanks!

2011 Kona Blue
09-08-2016, 11:36 PM
Hey guys, I have a 2016 mustang 5.0 and the engine has a good layer of dirt on it. I have heard that many of the newer generation vehicles engines important parts are sealed away from water. Any advice on what I should cover before cleaning it? Anything helps! Thanks!

I have a 2011 mustang and my father has a 2014. I personally spray the engine bay with a whole bunch of degreaser. Use a brush to agitate the degreaser all around. I spray all those hard to reach areas with the degreaser as well. Then I power wash off. Never been a issue. It's all sealed up.

If you have a Open aftermarket CAI, cover it with a trash bag. Dry off and top with shine plastic product

LEDetailing
09-09-2016, 12:23 AM
On a 2016 there probably isn't much build up of grease or any other caked on debris. I would try using a rinseless or waterless wash and MF towels.

Or an even quicker, just as effective approach is the "cosmetic engine" detail by Mike Phillips.

Mike has a good write up on cosmetic engine detailing.

Link:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/98122-how-do-cosmetic-engine-detailing.html

GSKR
09-09-2016, 06:13 AM
Take precautions and cover the maf sensor,and any thing you might see such a fuse box etc or,an exposed wire harness.Every car is different and turn off the ac.And stay waway from the abs component and alternator.

Octopiston
09-09-2016, 06:50 AM
Not model specific but I've been under the hood of many cars. The only things I've seen a need in caution on newer engines are intake location and fuse box. Most are covered or situated where there shouldn't be a problem unless using high pressure. Cover as needed or as a precaution. Any sensor connections I've messed with use weather proof connections.
As stated, with the dust build up a risenless wash works well. Top it off with a product that doesn't attract dust.

emmjay
09-09-2016, 01:30 PM
I just did this today, used some APC at 1:4 a light spritz in a few spots and agitated with a 1" boars hair brush. I did not do every single spot, just the ones I could safely reach, knowing that I could reach with a towel to wipe off. For wipe off I sprayed some ONR at QD ratio as APC does foam and cleaned up as much as I could. In hindsight, if APC did not foam it would have been easier, not that this was difficult in any way.

I then used Wolfgang exterior trim sealant on the entire engine bay where I could reach safely and WOW is all I can say. This was the first time I have ever done anything in an engine bay. Been way to paranoid till now.

It's pretty much my adaptation of the "how to cosmetic engine detailing" linked above by LED detailing.