PDA

View Full Version : Stacking sealant and wax

Pages : [1] 2

royalkangaroo
09-08-2016, 05:27 PM
So I just picked up M205 to experiment with along with Pinnacle Souveran Liquid Wax. My current experience is with the Megs Ultimate line (compound, polish, liquid wax).

I'll be doing a light correction with the M205, followed by Pinnacle Souveran on a black Mercedes C300. I've been very impressed by the Megs Ultimate Liquid Wax and was curious if there would be any benefit putting ULW after correction, waiting 24 hours or so, then a coat of Pinnacle Souveran.

Is this just a waste of product? Is Pinnacle Souveran Liquid Wax durable enough by itself? And is there any merit to stacking more than one coat of wax to a vehicle?

WillSports3
09-08-2016, 05:33 PM
Souveran is not a very durable wax. ULW is very durable so a base coat with ULW will provide the protection, Souveran will give your paint a beautiful wet shine. ULW for protection, Souveran for looks. Reapply souveran every four weeks or so to keep that nice wet look.

derass
09-08-2016, 05:46 PM
I currently have 2 coats of Klasse on and thought it was fine without a topper (or stacked as you say). But after having a bird-bomb etch through just 2 months after application and doing some reading, it seems a carnauba topper (which supposedly offers better protection from bird-bombs) is in order.

PaulMys
09-08-2016, 07:13 PM
I've had great protective results topping KAIO with 3 coats of Collinite 845. Bird crap, bug splatter, and road grime come off very easily with this combo I have found. Plus, this combo has lasted over a year on my truck here in NY.

Crispy
09-08-2016, 07:26 PM
Just finished applying Poli-Seal followed by Collenite 845.

Like the Polli-Seal because it is an AIO and it does remove some previous product.

I have too many coatings/sealants and LSP's on already.

Only been a week, but really even surprised me, with how good it finished.

Also first time applying wax with DA (won't be doing by hand anymore).

Sort of a side question, is there a way to measure the thickness of the coatings vs just the paint?

dlc95
09-08-2016, 08:01 PM
I always fo back to the Ultimate Line. There's nothing wrong with it.

I always get great longevity out of Ultimate Liquid Wax.

FUNX650
09-08-2016, 08:19 PM
Sort of a side question,

is there a way to measure the thickness
of the coatings vs just the paint?
One way is with a Spectroscopic Ellipsometer.

Bob

PaulMys
09-08-2016, 09:04 PM
One way is with a Spectroscopic Ellipsometer.

Bob

Does that thing come turbo charged?

dmayer
09-09-2016, 09:56 AM
I currently have 2 coats of Klasse on and thought it was fine without a topper (or stacked as you say). But after having a bird-bomb etch through just 2 months after application and doing some reading, it seems a carnauba topper (which supposedly offers better protection from bird-bombs) is in order.

It's funny...I don't see many sealants mention they are resistant to bird bombs. I've had Power Lock and UPP on cars and bird bombs etched my paint within days of application of both. Maybe the carnauba designers have it right after all. Although I haven't tried it yet, Rejex says it prevents bird droppings so I may have to give that a try.

ski2
09-09-2016, 10:35 AM
It's funny...I don't see many sealants mention they are resistant to bird bombs. I've had Power Lock and UPP on cars and bird bombs etched my paint within days of application of both. Maybe the carnauba designers have it right after all. Although I haven't tried it yet, Rejex says it prevents bird droppings so I may have to give that a try.

I have Finish Kare 1000p (2 coats) on my car--it sat at the airport for two weeks and was covered in bird bombs when I returned--came off in a snap and no etching from the bird bombs.

Eldorado2k
09-09-2016, 10:38 AM

Rejex?

Zubair
09-09-2016, 11:53 AM
FK1000P topped with 476 after around 72 hours works unusually well from an aesthetic and longevity point of view. People always compared them so who would of thought they compliment each other so well.

dmayer
09-09-2016, 02:14 PM
Rejex?

RejeX Paint Sealant, auto paint sealant, Rejex car wax, Rejex paint protectant, rejects, Rejecx (http://www.autogeek.net/rejex-16oz.html)

dmayer
09-09-2016, 02:20 PM
I have Finish Kare 1000p (2 coats) on my car--it sat at the airport for two weeks and was covered in bird bombs when I returned--came off in a snap and no etching from the bird bombs.

That's good to hear. I checked out the 1000P description and it doesn't mention anything about bird bombs that I saw. I would think that if a sealant or synthetic wax or whatever you want to call it is resistant to or prevents bird bomb etching that the manufacturer would want to mention it in the product description. Perhaps there should be a thread of which sealants prevent bird bomb etchings and which don't.

Also, maybe whether the bird droppings etch or not depends on the type of paint and also the bird diet? Just a thought...

Crispy
09-09-2016, 07:28 PM
Ok I'll bite what is that Ellispometer.