PDA

View Full Version : Flex XC 3401 VRG UPGADE??

Pages : [1] 2

Cruzscarwash
09-08-2016, 12:20 PM
so I have 2 Flex XC 3401 VRG and im thinking of selling them to get either the Flex XC 3401 VRG HD or the finisher. what do you guys think? is it worth the upgrade or should I just keep these 2? (I still have PC which I just use for carpets if it all, a GG6 and a GG6 with a 3 inch backing plate as well)

VISITOR
09-08-2016, 01:04 PM
the flex 3401 has been tried and true (built like a tank) for many years and i would keep it. if you are looking for a long throw DA at some point, take a look at the G15/21...

Mike@ShineStruck
09-08-2016, 01:05 PM
Upgrading from an 3401 to just an HD isn't an Upgrade.

If you want a longer wire, buy one and install yourself, depending how old, keep your old cord..

The finisher has had a major problem which deterred me even looking onto their new forced rotation
The finisher is also paired with. 6in Bp, it stalls easier then a Griot Boss.

If you dont have a long throw, then sell one of your 3401s and get either a boss G21 or MarkII

Cruzscarwash
09-08-2016, 01:09 PM
I really want a long throw forced but from the chatter I hear they cant perfect them yet, but I could be wrong

dlc95
09-08-2016, 01:15 PM
I really want a long throw forced but from the chatter I hear they cant perfect them yet, but I could be wrong

If people have "walking" issues with an 8mm throw, imagine how much trouble they'd have with a taller orbit.

If anything, keep the 8mm stroke, and add some top end speed.

Mike@ShineStruck
09-08-2016, 01:16 PM
A long throw forced is possible, just will be a heavy beast
Get yourself a rotary and a Dynabrade 61384
Makes rotary into a 19mm D/A and also a 19mm forced D/A

Zubair
09-08-2016, 01:57 PM
Or you can just get a Rupes MKII and call it a day.

Cruzscarwash
09-08-2016, 08:12 PM
Isn't one of the negatives about the mkll the backing plates?

Harry Da Hamster
09-08-2016, 08:25 PM
If people have "walking" issues with an 8mm throw, imagine how much trouble they'd have with a taller orbit.

If anything, keep the 8mm stroke, and add some top end speed.
How's about a semi forced rotation? Not quite a 100% positive engagement like the 3401, but not a freewheel like the Rupes? Maybe a 75% engagement, and it breaks away at the last 25% to control the walking? Flex, where you at??? I'm a die hard Flex fan, but lets get some real innovation instead of a Rupes imitation.

Flex also needs to look into battery powered options. The only Rupes i have is the Bigfoot Nano and it's amazing how the battery charges quicker than the machine can expend.

dlc95
09-09-2016, 06:24 PM
How's about a semi forced rotation? Not quite a 100% positive engagement like the 3401, but not a freewheel like the Rupes? Maybe a 75% engagement, and it breaks away at the last 25% to control the walking? Flex, where you at??? I'm a die hard Flex fan, but lets get some real innovation instead of a Rupes imitation.

Flex also needs to look into battery powered options. The only Rupes i have is the Bigfoot Nano and it's amazing how the battery charges quicker than the machine can expend.

There was another thread where I mentioned a machine that worked like the drive wheels on a car. That the "engine" (orbit) would continuously run, but depressing the "gas pedal" (downward pressure, or throttle trigger) would engage the "wheels" (pad/rotation) with some sort of fixed gearing mechanism.

I can see it in my head. I should probably get the ol draftsman table out...

Harry Da Hamster
09-09-2016, 06:40 PM
There was another thread where I mentioned a machine that worked like the drive wheels on a car. That the "engine" (orbit) would continuously run, but depressing the "gas pedal" (downward pressure, or throttle trigger) would engage the "wheels" (pad/rotation) with some sort of fixed gearing mechanism.

I can see it in my head. I should probably get the ol draftsman table out...

Ahh got it. Pressing the "gas" would make positive engagement. That's a great idea too. Or, at least a positive engagement that's breakable, kinda like a "Detroit Locker" for your rear differential. I'm sure the 4X4 guys know what that is.

Mike@ShineStruck
09-09-2016, 07:23 PM
Detroit locker would be direct, no slip ala rotary and 3401
D/A are open end.
You guys sound like you want a posi like a Tru Trac ..tap the brake and locks
Or something like an air or Electric locker ....open and hit button when you need it locked

Hoytman
09-09-2016, 10:18 PM
A long throw forced is possible, just will be a heavy beast
Get yourself a rotary and a Dynabrade 61384
Makes rotary into a 19mm D/A and also a 19mm forced D/A

These are heavvvvyyy...but work like a charrrrrrrrmmmmm. They've went up by $50 at least since I got mine. Glad I bought mine before Dynabrade raised their prices.

Harry Da Hamster
09-10-2016, 09:13 PM
Detroit locker would be direct, no slip ala rotary and 3401
D/A are open end.
You guys sound like you want a posi like a Tru Trac ..tap the brake and locks
Or something like an air or Electric locker ....open and hit button when you need it locked

Detroit Lockers do make a positive engagement until they see and excessive amount of torque and then they give, hence the loud clanking noise they make when turning. A Flex 3401 would be like a welded diff, AKA a "spool". 100% positive engagement, period, absolutely no give until your axle breaks.

I don't think you understand the point of the conversation. If you have ever used a Flex 3401 before, you would know that if the pad is not completely flat, it will walk. A long stroke version of a 3401 will walk with even more force. There probably needs some sort of mechanism to "break" so the machine wont fly out of your hands.

RPM_BR
09-11-2016, 08:25 AM
Once I asked my mechanic about air conditioning units, how they work, and he said it is an electro-magnetic lock inside the pulley, that it is always spinning until it locks, transmiting the torque to the unit.
I wonder if the same principle could be applied to the Flex, but the other way around, always locked but a sensor (maybe a vibration sensor) could trigger the disengagement.
I hope I'm not saying b.s. here, very interesting thread.