PDA

View Full Version : What can I use to polish up this "chrome" trim?

Pages : [1] 2

emmjay
09-07-2016, 11:26 PM
Hey guys,

1. I have a Pilot to work on from tomorrow and the front "Chrome" grille surrounds are quite faded and have a lot of spots.

How can I polish it out? I only have M205, UP, UC, Sonax 3/6 and Megs NXT Metalpolish.

I would like to try my best and make this car look brand new.

2. Also, will M205 or UC on a Orange pad be enough to clean up some haze on the headlights? I have no clue how to sand and such and just want to improve the look.

TIA :)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/DSC_00266.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/108719/title/pilot-grill/cat/500)

Goin Rogue
09-08-2016, 01:17 AM
Works great: Mothers California Gold All-Chrome Cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/mothers-all-chrome-cleaner.html)

ShaneB
09-08-2016, 01:29 AM
I've gotten great results with 3d HD Metal and microfiber towels. That being said, I'd try the metal polish you have with some microfibers and see how it does. Chrome is pretty hard and doesn't scratch easy compared to paint. Just try what you have, see what works and go with it. I don't think you'll cause any harm.

As for the headlights, the orange pad and UC should be more than enough to really make a difference. I've cleared up foggy headlights with a cyan hydro shred pad and Blackfire SRC compound in one step. Your combo would be about the same

emmjay
09-08-2016, 01:48 AM
Thanks guys!!

The only thing I am worried about is that this trim is not real chrome :/ - It feels like plastic coated with a chrome "finish".

Goin Rogue sent a good product but unfortuantely I do not have that product in the UAE and no time to order anything.

I forgot to mention I also have P21s multi finish restorer - P21SŪ Multi-Surface Finish Restorer- This extraordinary German car polish from P21S will bring back luster and reflective brilliance. (http://www.autogeek.net/p2mulfinres.html)

Would this work?

Eldorado2k
09-08-2016, 02:00 AM
Thanks guys!!

The only thing I am worried about is that this trim is not real chrome :/ - It feels like plastic coated with a chrome "finish".

Goin Rogue sent a good product but unfortuantely I do not have that product in the UAE and no time to order anything.

I forgot to mention I also have P21s multi finish restorer - P21SŪ Multi-Surface Finish Restorer- This extraordinary German car polish from P21S will bring back luster and reflective brilliance. (http://www.autogeek.net/p2mulfinres.html)

Would this work?

It is plastic chrome.
However, that P21s product sounds like the stuff! I've never used it, but it sounds like it's the bomb.

Alex Haramic
09-08-2016, 02:13 AM
P21S is my go to works awesome on chrome. I use it to polish my chrome wheels after winter when They have all that calcium build up. The results are amazing.

emmjay
09-08-2016, 02:29 AM
It is plastic chrome.
However, that P21s product sounds like the stuff! I've never used it, but it sounds like it's the bomb.

Ill give it a shot and see how it turns out! :D

P21S is my go to works awesome on chrome. I use it to polish my chrome wheels after winter when They have all that calcium build up. The results are amazing.

Thats reassuring, thanks :)

DBAILEY
09-08-2016, 02:48 AM
I use P21SŪ Multi-Surface Finish Restorer on chromed plastic. An AIO works well too. KIAO or ZAIO have worked well for me the past

emmjay
09-08-2016, 06:09 AM
I use P21SŪ Multi-Surface Finish Restorer on chromed plastic. An AIO works well too. KIAO or ZAIO have worked well for me the past

Perfect thank you!

GSKR
09-08-2016, 06:16 AM
I kinda like the old school stuff like turtle wax chrome cleaner and polish.

forrest@mothers
09-08-2016, 07:50 AM
Be careful in what you use. The grill, as others have mentioned, is plastic with a chrome looking film vacuum formed over it.

It's not "real" chrome and is easily damaged. Using a traditional chrome polish will likely damage the surface even more than it already is. (You mentioned it was faded and had "spots". Are they pits, perhaps?)

There is a vast difference between a chrome plated rim and this film covering a plastic substrate.

House of Wax
09-08-2016, 08:00 AM
Be careful in what you use. The grill, as others have mentioned, is plastic with a chrome looking film vacuum formed over it.

It's not "real" chrome and is easily damaged. Using a traditional chrome polish will likely damage the surface even more than it already is. (You mentioned it was faded and had "spots". Are they pits, perhaps?)

There is a vast difference between a chrome plated rim and this film covering a plastic substrate.
I was just going to post something similar. I have not had much luck cleaning up defects in that plastic chrome crap. In fact you could easily make it worse. I usually just go over it lightly with HD Speed

emmjay
09-08-2016, 02:46 PM

Thanks for that, would any product from what I currently have work or should I just leave it alone?

AZpolisher15
09-08-2016, 03:04 PM
After lightly buffing headlights using PlastX, I'll often take the same towel when I'm done and go over my "chrome" grille-- Often with just the residue left on the towel from the headlights. I've also used Megs 10 & 17 on my plastic chrome.

If the headlights aren't terrible (they look to be in pretty decent shape), a very light buff with PlastiX works well. I'd imagine the UP/205 on foam or mf would give similar results?

emmjay
09-09-2016, 01:14 AM
After lightly buffing headlights using PlastX, I'll often take the same towel when I'm done and go over my "chrome" grille-- Often with just the residue left on the towel from the headlights. I've also used Megs 10 & 17 on my plastic chrome.

If the headlights aren't terrible (they look to be in pretty decent shape), a very light buff with PlastiX works well. I'd imagine the UP/205 on foam or mf would give similar results?

I might just try an inconspicuous area and report back.

As for the pics, none of those are mine haha.