PDA

View Full Version : 89 Mustang Paint Correction?

bryanviper
09-07-2016, 06:05 PM
Hello All,

So my cousin just picked up a 89 Mustang & he wants me to polish it and will probably end up putting Cquartz UK on it also.

My question is there anything special I should watch out for, or do or not do on a car this old? Not sure if its original paint or not. I heard that older cars may have 1 stage paint jobs or something?

I would be using a 6" polisher, HD Speed, HD Proxy, HD Spider Pads on it. Also regular wash and clay bar/ Car Pro Trix if needed before.

Thanks

WillSports3
09-07-2016, 06:18 PM
If it has single stage paint, I don't believe you can use cquartz as its designed for use on clearcoat. Mckee 37 coating can be safely used on single stage paint.

Setec Astronomy
09-07-2016, 06:20 PM
Wow, that car is all kinds of sideways...make sure you use a right-angle polisher on it.

bryanviper
09-07-2016, 06:26 PM
haha i know, Its straight on my computer but this forum for some reason flipped the photos.

Wow, that car is all kinds of sideways...make sure you use a right-angle polisher on it.

GSKR
09-07-2016, 06:28 PM
Looks older than a 89 .

vobro
09-07-2016, 06:31 PM
That's an 85 or 86 GT, I believe all factory solid colors were single stage (if that is indeed factory paint). Also I'd do a test spot for the Trix on the rubber door molding. I had a 90 LX 5.0 and am currently looking for another Fox body, have fun

CC268
09-07-2016, 08:54 PM

lmao

bossbrew
09-08-2016, 11:51 AM
CarPro recommends testing a spot before using on single stage paint. Apparently it can dissolve some paints. :doh:

Paul A.
09-08-2016, 03:54 PM
To determine if it is single stage paint, try a test spot with a MF towel and a light polish and check for paint color transfer onto your MF. If you have any red MF's DON'T use them for the test...it will be difficult to see!

When i suspect i have a single stage paint in front of me i do a test as above. I am more curious than anything more and my correction efforts are pretty much the same. A bigger concern to me is if it does, in fact, still have the factory paint, an '89 paint job might be getting pretty thin so you might want to be cautious if you don't have a paint thickness gauge. I'll bet that color will look phenomenal with just the right approach! Enjoy.

bryanviper
10-15-2016, 06:19 PM
The car has been painted before and it does have a clear coat on it. I saw the car up close a few weeks back. Dont think I'm going to detail it this year as its getting cold and my cousin will store it for the winter. So probably spring time i'll have a go at it.

Thanks All

LSNAutoDetailing
10-15-2016, 07:53 PM
As stated above, it's a 85/86 GT. Little confused that he wants a coating, but you're going to use Speed & Proxy. So, in other words, no coating..
On another note, that is amazing car and looks to be near pristine. I hope your Cousin is going to take good care of it and not thrash on it.
The Fox bodies in that kind of condition are very desired and fetching prices well above the prices they were when brand new. It looks like it was well taken car of. Good luck and congrats to your cousin for finding such an amazing 32 year old car!