PDA

View Full Version : Front Load Washer - WAY off Topic

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jimmy Vegas
09-06-2016, 04:56 PM
A recent and frustrating experience..

We started noticing streaks on our clothes as they were coming out of the washing machine, it looked like grease to me, but the markings looked as though the clothes had scraped across something dirty. My first instinct was that there was something at the spout where the fabric softener, bleach and detergent was being inserted in to the tub. It's a small plastic piece at the front just about the door. And since we never use bleach or softener in the wash, I figured there was some kind of dirt, or mold, or something making its way out.

Well, running empty loads with bleach in all the feeds to clean everything out seemed to work. At first.

The streaks came back. But, I also noticed that the machine was sounding like the space shuttle taking off during the spin cycle, and that revealed the culprit. The bearings at the back of the tub. Hell, I can replace that, right?

I did some online research and bearing kits sell anywhere from $17 to $70 depending, and it would just take me a couple of hours to install. I've replaced bearings before, no biggie. Wheel bearing, axle bearing, drive shaft bearings, they're all similar. (Those are the round things, right?)

Here's the word of warning.. If you happen to be buying a front loading washer (and I don't recommend it just based on load capacity) avoid Kenmore. Of all the brands I found when I was looking for parts, Kenmore was the only one that didn't sell the bearings. They only offer the back half of the tub for $230. (Guess which brand I have.)

Since it's ten years old already, and new ones can be had for around $500 (high capacity top loader), I'll be putting the money toward a shiny new one. I may even wax it with my new DA just because I can. (No, I won't.)

Just sharing my experience, hope it helps someone. In the meantime, I'll be heading to the laundromat tonight to wash microfiber towels. And maybe some clothes (I have my priorities). I'm taking my time researching a new one.

Peace,
Jim

Setec Astronomy
09-06-2016, 05:04 PM
So 10 years ago that Kenmore would have been made by Whirlpool Germany (I think they are made by LG or Samsung now, at least the high-end Kenmore front-loaders).

In my dreams where I buy a new set of front-load laundry equipment, it's a GE, since it's made in America (of course GE just sold that division to a Chinese company).

Jimmy Vegas
09-06-2016, 05:20 PM
I want to buy American, but am having trouble finding what is made here anymore.

shadwell
09-06-2016, 05:30 PM
Had to replace main bearing and water seal on an LG after 7 years.., could get the parts but it was like changing a top end bearing.. had to rip the whole machine into about 100 pieces to get the drum out.. got it done and back together and got another 4 years out of it.. fair play it lasted very well...
Changed to Bosch after that... basic but reilable... and it gets hammered..

Setec Astronomy
09-06-2016, 05:31 PM
I want to buy American, but am having trouble finding what is made here anymore.

GE stuff is made in Louisville KY. They show on their website what the US content is, I was looking at a refrigerator that was 80-something percent. I'm guessing it was the compressor/"sealed system" that is made in China. Similarly, probably the motors in the washers/dryers are made there (in China).

Again, subject to change since the appliance division was sold to Haier.

When I was looking at refrigerators in HD, I opened them all up to look at the nameplates. The Whirlpool stuff was all made in Mexico. The LG stuff was made in Korea or Mexico (depending). The Samsung was made in Korea. The GE was made in US. What did I leave out? I want to say they had Frigidaire, but they went out a long time ago, so someone bought the name. There must have been some others but the only "made in US" was GE.

http://www.geappliances.com/ge/usa/

TTQ B4U
09-06-2016, 05:36 PM
I won't buy a front load set. Way too many issues. I can't believe how many people I know with issues. Our last set of Maytag's was 18yrs old before it gave us any issues. We now have a new GE Top load H.E. unit and she's about 4yrs old and doing fine. Most seems pretty straight forward to repair too. Our Maytag dryer has had a couple minor fixes but I did them all with ease and it's now 22yrs old and going strong.

Setec Astronomy
09-06-2016, 05:41 PM
I won't buy a front load set. Way too many issues. I can't believe how many people I know with issues. Our last set of Maytag's was 18yrs old before it gave us any issues. We now have a new GE Top load H.E. unit and she's about 4yrs old and doing fine. Most seems pretty straight forward to repair too. Our Maytag dryer has had a couple minor fixes but I did them all with ease and it's now 22yrs old and going strong.

I kind of think the longevity of your older equipment is due to the vintage. The old stuff was all overbuilt, today's stuff is built like crap. I think we've had these discussions on the forum before, but IMO in the old "build it & break it days" you built something that looked right, tested it, anything that broke you redesigned double strong. Now it's all FEA'd to last 'til one day after the warranty expires.

Jimmy Vegas
09-06-2016, 05:45 PM
There's a Maytag Bravo at Home Depot that is in my price range. Maybe..

ellens2
09-06-2016, 05:53 PM
Speed queens are made in USA but not sold at big box stores. Some GE's are assembled in USA

PaulMys
09-06-2016, 06:04 PM
I kind of think the longevity of your older equipment is due to the vintage. The old stuff was all overbuilt, today's stuff is built like crap. I think we've had these discussions on the forum before, but IMO in the old "build it & break it days" you built something that looked right, tested it, anything that broke you redesigned double strong. Now it's all FEA'd to last 'til one day after the warranty expires.

Agreed, and amen.

The last two GE washers I have had were total garbage. First one ate a clutch, then the coupler (which was "beefed up" from plastic to metal-clad plastic when I bought the new part). Gee, thanks.

When the carcass of the washer rotted out where the dampener springs for the tub clip on (after 6 years), we got another GE. I've always had good luck with GE, and thought we might of got a lemon. Nope

Our new GE worked ok at first, Now it won't pump/spin all the water out leaving soap residue as well. I've checked the pump, outlet, and the ridiculous drain hose they now use (accordion-like). All clear. Then, I read online that these washers are known for this. My wife is pulling her hair out. Took her 5 tries to wash towels yesterday.

Soooo......... Looks like another trip to the appliance center. But, NEVER get a GE washer again.

hmardown
09-06-2016, 06:07 PM
Jimmy
I think the shelf life of appliances is rumored to be 10 years. we getting ready to buy & we are shying away from Kenmore. those front load washer's are know for mildew. where going give GE a shot. thanks.
hmardown

ronkh57
09-06-2016, 06:08 PM
Don't do a Samsung top loader one. Check over on autopia, I did a review on it as it relates to detailing.

custmsprty
09-06-2016, 06:15 PM

Best American-Made Appliances - Consumer Reports (http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/05/best-american-made-appliances/index.htm)

custmsprty
09-06-2016, 06:19 PM
Don't do a Samsung top loader one. Check over on autopia, I did a review on it as it relates to detailing.

I didn't get 3 years out of a Samsung front loader. Smartly though, I had geek squad extended warranty and got a brand new one. Two weeks ago I had the whole tub and bearing assembly replaced after about 2-1/2 years. Again, through geek squad. When the replacement was installed it re-set the extended warranty to the beginning. It would have cost $650.00 with labor. Samsung washers and dryers are defintely a pass for me in the future.

aztec1987
09-06-2016, 06:21 PM
I just purchased Samsung washer and dryer, washer been top load in which I heard that front load washers tend to create mold around the seals. I just played it safe and got top load. My mother has a front load and have to say that it screeches really bad and also the dryer to the point where it made rattling noise. Since it is digital also the menu button is tending to go out. I believe hers is Kenmore too.