PDA

View Full Version : Why do people not take care of nice cars?

Pages : [1] 2 3

briarpatch
09-04-2016, 06:32 PM
Maybe a stupid title for the thread...but I'd no idea what to title it. Just left a family gathering where one of my relatives has a 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo.....Dale Earnhardt Intimidator edition. Nice car, low miles, black. Nice sunny day, and I got a good look at the paint.....scratches, water spots, bug etchings, swirl city. Thinking I might offer to do some correction for him, I asked him some questions. He believes that he is 'taking great care of it', and the "paint looks awesome". Whether or not you're an Earnhardt fan, this is a pretty cool car, and deserves much better than it's getting. So, my original question....why do people with nice cars not take care of the paint?

Rant over.....

VISITOR
09-04-2016, 06:40 PM
all you have to do is walk through a parking lot and you'll tons of nice cars that are all marred and scratched to no end. most people aren't educated and don't know the proper etiquette of using quality materials/ products as well as technique. many people will take better care of their clothes then they do their cars which is sad...

BM1024
09-04-2016, 06:56 PM
He believes that he is 'taking great care of it', and the "paint looks awesome".

His car - he is happy with the results. Maybe show him on your car how much better it could be, but I wouldn't personally. Before I discovered the joy of proper paint care, I thought I was doing it right, too. And you know what - I was - for me and my car.

I could point out to my cousin the motorhead how he could improve his paint, but he's happy with his Turtle Wax - and I don't want to be that know-it-all-family-snob. Instead, he knows about my detailing, I've offered to help if he ever wants it (just as he has with performance issues, and that's how it is.

ScottH
09-04-2016, 07:01 PM
I'll offer a few reasons from my experience.

1. Some people just don't care. Their car is transportation and nothing more. Washing their car is an after thought at best. I find these are often the same people who are fast to complain about their car the minute something goes wrong.

2. most people don't have the same barometer as we do. If their car isn't covered in mud, its clean, even if it hasn't been washed in months or covered in swirls.

3. Some people have other priorities or hobbies - and that's cool too .

4. Some people don't know any better, not as 'aware' as we are.

5. As much as I hate to say it, some people lack the drive, energy or enthusiasm to keep their cars clean. Maybe lazy is a better way to say it?

ScottH

BrutalNoodle
09-04-2016, 07:06 PM
Some started out enthusiastic enough; cleaning, waxing every weekend, but lost interest once the honeymoon (aka new car phrase) is over.

My girlfriend always comment on how nice it is to sit in the vehicle, while all of her coworkers, including bosses' vehicles are filthy inside and out. I understand "It's only a DD", but at least clean up the garbage from the carpet and wipe those bird poop off of the paint, for crying out loud. lol

FUNX650
09-04-2016, 07:49 PM
When it comes to this particular:
"How to Win at Detailing" scenario...

I like to follow the below listed steps:

Step 1.)
I let people do, what they need
to do, to make themselves happy.

Step 2.)
In return:
I do, what I need to do,
to make myself happy.

The End.

Bob

PaulMys
09-04-2016, 08:06 PM
Nothing else for me to say here. All you guys nailed it. Especially Bob.

WillSports3
09-04-2016, 08:07 PM
It's all about priorities. Autogeekers want to keep their cars looking nicely polished and clean. Others just like having that particular car. It's like why do most dealership detailers not seem to achieve the results that most of the driveway detailers here can? As long as they're happy, oh well.

FUNX650
09-04-2016, 08:12 PM
many people will take better care of
their clothes then they do their cars

which is sad...
^^^ Tut-tut ^^^

"Costly thy habit as thy purse
can buy,
But not expressed in fancy—rich,
not gaudy,
For the apparel oft proclaims the man..."

~Hamlet; {Act 1, Scene 3}

Bob

PA DETAILER
09-04-2016, 08:18 PM
I'll offer a few reasons from my experience.

1. Some people just don't care. Their car is transportation and nothing more. Washing their car is an after thought at best. I find these are often the same people who are fast to complain about their car the minute something goes wrong.

2. most people don't have the same barometer as we do. If their car isn't covered in mud, its clean, even if it hasn't been washed in months or covered in swirls.

3. Some people have other priorities or hobbies - and that's cool too .

4. Some people don't know any better, not as 'aware' as we are.

5. As much as I hate to say it, some people lack the drive, energy or enthusiasm to keep their cars clean. Maybe lazy is a better way to say it?

ScottH

:iagree:

GSKR
09-04-2016, 08:47 PM
My thought process on this topic is either your unorganized or a slob and don't have the minor ocd in their genes to make a effort of cleanliness then they don't care.people who are organized and keep their homes clean and tidy and have that omg it's dirty will get there car done.Its all about the person on how they live and want to live.Would you go to a doctors office and see papers and folders everywhere on the floor or a doc who is organized and neat.Needed dental work done 2 months ago,I was referred from family to go and see dr x for dental care.went there the place was disgusting floors and wood trim all dirty front glass dirty bathrooms were disgusting.So I just left and found a practice with there crap together and the office was impeccable.

Komatsu
09-04-2016, 09:37 PM
Visiting montreal for the weekend, I can't believe the new BMW's and high end cars I am seeing that I thought maybe had plasti dipped rims but really it's just never been cleaned! Even a Ferrari 458 that had swirls all over it. Drove me crazy

Octopiston
09-04-2016, 10:05 PM
Some people just don't know any better. Its shinier after a wash and wax and they accept the swirls because paint "gets scratches." They don't know how to avoid or fix them.

You also don't have to be organized or ocd to have a clean car, and people with messy cars aren't necessarily lazy or slobs. I've known many farmers who work their tail ends off, and the last thing they care about is washing their truck.

PaulMys
09-04-2016, 10:11 PM
My thought process on this topic is either your unorganized or a slob and don't have the minor ocd in their genes to make a effort of cleanliness then they don't care.people who are organized and keep their homes clean and tidy and have that omg it's dirty will get there car done.Its all about the person on how they live and want to live.Would you go to a doctors office and see papers and folders everywhere on the floor or a doc who is organized and neat.Needed dental work done 2 months ago,I was referred from family to go and see dr x for dental care.went there the place was disgusting floors and wood trim all dirty front glass dirty bathrooms were disgusting.So I just left and found a practice with there crap together and the office was impeccable.

Interesting post. And I am the same way. Even with my 4 dogs in the house, it's "Hurry hurry, clean this, vaccum that"!

However, my neighbor 2 doors down and his wife have a home to die for. Immaculate. Always making improvements. I'm actually envious I don't have the $$ or time to do what they do. We visit and have a drink together quite often, and his Dakota truck and her Jeep Cherokee are "clean" to the eye, but in the sun, Holy good God. Looks like someone took a rotary with 400 grit on it.

Anyway, as an older couple and uneducated on the newer ways to care for cars/paint, I don't think their neglect of the paint qualifies them as "unorganized slobs".

And again, I am in agreement with you GSKR.

BrutalNoodle
09-04-2016, 10:34 PM
We visit and have a drink together quite often, and his Dakota truck and her Jeep Cherokee are "clean" to the eye, but in the sun, Holy good God. Looks like someone took a rotary with 400 grit on it.

Sounds like a nice couple. Having good neighbors is a privilege. Crappy neighbors suck.

'Looks clean therefore it's good.' A totally understandable perspective. Us enthusiasts tend to be in the x100 zoom, while people in the real word are cruising at magnification 5. lol