PDA

View Full Version : Steam Cleaner or Extractor?

CC268
09-04-2016, 09:08 AM
Hey guys,

I am thinking a steamer will be more useful for me as it would be used to clean mostly cloth seats that are already very clean...maybe carpet on occasion (all my vehicles have Weather Tech mats). What do you guys think? Any suggestions on a which steamer or extractor is the "best value"?

CarolinasFinestDetailing
09-04-2016, 10:30 AM
Judging by your situation, I would go with a steamer honestly. Plus, there are so many other uses for a steamer car wise and for the house. A McCullough 1275 (iirc) can be had from various sources for around $125. Very good bang for buck machine.

CC268
09-04-2016, 10:40 AM
Judging by your situation, I would go with a steamer honestly. Plus, there are so many other uses for a steamer car wise and for the house. A McCullough 1275 (iirc) can be had from various sources for around $125. Very good bang for buck machine.

Wow only $125? That is cheap! I thought I would need to spend like $800 lol

Sharply Dressed
09-04-2016, 09:53 PM
And if you hurry one retailer has a 20% off code with free shipping on either the 1375 or 1385

GSKR
09-04-2016, 09:55 PM
Extractor all day long.

CC268
09-04-2016, 10:04 PM
Extractor all day long.

The more I research this the more I realize the extractor would probably never get used considering I only detail personal vehicles...which are always very clean. Even the steam cleaner is unnecessary but the McCullough seems to be a decent machine for $125. Extractor will run me more like $800...I am afraid it would honestly just sit in my garage and never be used.

Eldorado2k
09-04-2016, 10:06 PM
The more I research this the more I realize the extractor would probably never get used considering I only detail personal vehicles...which are always very clean. Even the steam cleaner is unnecessary but the McCullough seems to be a decent machine for $125. Extractor will run me more like $800...I am afraid it would honestly just sit in my garage and never be used.

You don't get an extractor.

AutowerxDetailing
09-04-2016, 10:30 PM
I think for just personal vehicles you'll use the steamer way more. If stuff ever gets out of hand like after a camping trip or if something gets spilled you can always just rent a Rug Dr. at your local hardware store.

GSKR
09-05-2016, 07:08 AM
Just a suggestion the tempo heated extractor is 599.00 get that and the steamer and your good to go.I have a lady who is dropping off her trailblazer at my house at 9am today.The very first question was do I own a extractor.Yes I agree you may not use it all the time but it's a necessary if your going to be tooling with the idea of detailing years to come.At 599 your roi is not a risk.just a thought.

asap2stacks
09-05-2016, 07:49 AM
Both are a must have, if you get something that is really filthy your gonna need them both or your going to be working all day on that vehicle wishing you had both.

Coopers ST
09-05-2016, 08:29 AM
I got my McCulloch 1375 for $110. Kohls has it for $170, then has 30% off coupons, then stack an additional $10 off coupon, then stack free shipping to your door coupon.
The Bissell Pro Heat is on sale for $108 now, if they are still doing the same deal 30% off would be $78, and the $10 off, so add on an extractor for $68.
Think of it as buy a steamer for regular price, get a free extractor.
Now i need to go get an extractor.

richy
09-05-2016, 07:21 PM
Like others have said, the steamer has so many other uses. Do you have grout in your house? If you do, you'll be blown away with how the steamer will clean that...like absolutely brand new!

trippmann
09-05-2016, 08:05 PM
i started with nothing and it worked for awhile. I then got a steam cleaner, "a VX" and was amazed with what it could do with leather, vents, cupholders, door jams... the list goes on, then I got an extractor and wondered why i ever thought that a shop-vac was suitable for pulling crud out of a carpet. Not to mention, if a customer cant tell the difference just pour out the waste water from the extractor and watch their jaw drop.

One of the best lessons I have learned is to buy the best machine you can afford. If you can swing $1200 for a continuous fill steamer then do that. If you can swing $900 for a VX then do that. There's nothing worse than buying a $200 tool and after using it wishing you threw down an extra $200 to get the $400 machine.