PDA

View Full Version : Can clay bars go bad/expire???

Pages : [1] 2

AutoApollo
09-03-2016, 05:37 PM
Hey guys, approximately 6 months ago I bought some cheap bluemagic clay. (Set of 5 bars.) The first two months or so they seemed to be performing ok and I haven't clayed a car since. I went to go clay my other car today and it was smearing a thin layer of clay over the paint??? How odd, I tried another unopened bar. Same thing. Can anyone explain??

rmagnus
09-03-2016, 05:47 PM
Sounds like you didn't have enough lube on the car when working the clay bar. I've never had a bar go bad. Once they get a lot of grit in them dedicate them to wheel cleaning or trash can.

ronkh57
09-03-2016, 05:49 PM
Not enough lube, wrong solution used as lube, or surface too hot. One of those is probably the answer.

mwoolfso
09-03-2016, 05:54 PM
Not enough lube, wrong solution used as lube, or surface too hot. One of those is probably the answer.

+1

AutoApollo
09-03-2016, 06:16 PM
Sounds like you didn't have enough lube on the car when working the clay bar. I've never had a bar go bad. Once they get a lot of grit in them dedicate them to wheel cleaning or trash can.

That's the thing, I used a TON of lube. Specifically detailer spray and it was still grabbing the paint like crazy. Mind you I clayed this car last year so the paint and the paint didn't feel that bad.

rmagnus
09-03-2016, 06:47 PM
That's the thing, I used a TON of lube. Specifically detailer spray and it was still grabbing the paint like crazy. Mind you I clayed this car last year so the paint and the paint didn't feel that bad.

I always use DAWN in a water spray bottle for lube. Just a small amount is needed. Also spray the bar directly on first use of it it starts to drag. When workin in the sun you have to work small areas. I've used off brands before but try to stick with Meguiars medium clay bar. They all work.

Go buy a new bar and see if you get different results.

ronkh57
09-03-2016, 07:02 PM
Go buy a new bar and see if you get different results.

And new lube, and do it on a cool surface.

I'm still bettin on Wrong lube since you said you used a ton, or a hot surface.

detailsbydennis
09-03-2016, 07:05 PM
Could be solvent residue on the finish.

AutoApollo
09-03-2016, 07:24 PM
And new lube, and do it on a cool surface.

I'm still bettin on Wrong lube since you said you used a ton, or a hot surface.

Literally used the lube provided with the mothers clay bar kit. Also it was done in my garage and the paint was cool to the touch. Maybe i shouldn't have cheaped out to save a few bucks :/

derass
09-03-2016, 10:58 PM
Maybe i shouldn't have cheaped out to save a few bucks

What do you mean by this? The Mother's kit? The Bluemagic clay?

I've been quite happy with the Mother's kit. I did once run into a problem using it on a hot surface, but that was my fault not the product's.

VISITOR
09-03-2016, 11:00 PM
Hey guys, approximately 6 months ago I bought some cheap bluemagic clay. (Set of 5 bars.)

were they actually authentic clay magic bars?

Eldorado2k
09-04-2016, 04:07 AM
He's probably talking about those cheap 3m bars.

AutoApollo
09-04-2016, 07:29 AM
He's probably talking about those cheap 3m bars.

Bingo! You're spot on. They had 3M packing on them and like weird Japanese writing or some kind of East Asian writing on them. I've used mothers clay bar kit and it works beautifully. I meant to say I used the lubricant spray from the mothers clay bar kit (I had some left over from last time).

Eldorado2k
09-04-2016, 08:06 AM
Bingo! You're spot on. They had 3M packing on them and like weird Japanese writing or some kind of East Asian writing on them. I've used mothers clay bar kit and it works beautifully. I meant to say I used the lubricant spray from the mothers clay bar kit (I had some left over from last time).

I have some of that clay and it's serviceable, bearly.. That clay is not very pliable which makes it anything but a pleasure to work with. If I remember correctly it's also kinda hard to see the contaminants you've picked up with it on the bar. But I guess I can't knock it too hard, as I've never had it mar any paint and it passes the baggie test after I'm done. But it's definitely my last pick of the litter..

I've never had it do what you're describing. I use Megs D114@1:128 for claylube, and use it liberaly.

dlc95
09-04-2016, 09:21 AM
I had some clay from 1997. Meguiar's clay.

It disintegrated on me when I started using it in 2008. I think some air got in the container too.