PDA

View Full Version : Best hose size for shop vac when used to clean interior?

Pages : [1] 2 3

voidpointer
09-03-2016, 03:15 PM
I have a Rigid WD1851 shop vac. It has a 2.5" hose. The hose is pretty stiff and short, so I was looking at getting an extension for it. I have a couple of questions:

Should I keep my hose size and attachments all 2.5"? Or should I get an adapter and shrink the hose & accessories down to 1.25"? Those seem to be the two standard options for most accessories and hoses. It seems like the thinner hose would be easier to maneuver, but I've heard complaints about the reduced suction power.
In addition to extending the length of the hose, I was hoping to find something super flexible and soft. The one that came with it is not as elastic and a harder plastic, so I'm worried about it actually scraping against the car paint and stuff. Thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

markiteight
09-03-2016, 04:36 PM
Hose diameter affects both flow (how much gas passes through the hose in a given amount of time) and velocity (suction power), but in opposite ways. All else being equal, the larger the hose diameter the more gasses it will flow, but velocity will be lower. A smaller diameter hose will flow less but at a higher velocity. For a vacuum cleaner, unless you're trying to clean up a huge pile of cat litter or sawdust, higher flow is a non-issue. What you want is suction, i.e. the ability to lift deeply embedded foreign objects from carpet fibers, and suction comes with velocity.

I think you'll be better off with a reducer and smaller hose/tools. Easer to handle and better performance. Win-win.

SharonsZamboni
09-03-2016, 09:00 PM
I got the Ridgid auto vacuum kit with the smaller diameter hose and attachments. Much easier to handle and does a good job.

Fast Eddie
09-03-2016, 11:01 PM
I do a ton of interior and mainly use my 2.5" hose. I do have the ridgid auto detail kit with the 1.25" hose and the loss of suction is extreme, and also it gets clogged easily if your vacuuming up large particles. I can now see why so many professional carpet cleaners are changing out their 1.5" hoses for 2", quicker dry times.

Eldorado2k
09-04-2016, 12:07 AM
Hose diameter affects both flow (how much gas passes through the hose in a given amount of time) and velocity (suction power), but in opposite ways. All else being equal, the larger the hose diameter the more gasses it will flow, but velocity will be lower. A smaller diameter hose will flow less but at a higher velocity. For a vacuum cleaner, unless you're trying to clean up a huge pile of cat litter or sawdust, higher flow is a non-issue. What you want is suction, i.e. the ability to lift deeply embedded foreign objects from carpet fibers, and suction comes with velocity.

I think you'll be better off with a reducer and smaller hose/tools. Easer to handle and better performance. Win-win.

I disagree with this.^
I have a Ridgid 1450 with both the 2.5" hose and the 1.25" hose that comes in the auto detailing kit.

I've done numerous tests comparing both hoses, and in no way does the 1.25" hose pull with more velocity than the larger hose.

It's a tough call deciding which hose and accessories to go with so I went with all of them. The only bad part is of course that the 2.5" accesories can't be use when the 1.25" hose is connected. [but the 1.25" accesories can be use with the 2.5" hose via adapter]

I usually end up deciding which hose to use depending on the job at hand. If the vehicle is trashed I use the 2.5" hose for the extra power. If the vehicle isn't too bad or it's simply a weekly maintenance vacuum I use the 1.25" orange hose as it's much easier to maneuver around with and I can pretty much leave it on 1 side of the vehicle and reach both sides. It's also quieter and like OP mentioned, it doesn't seem like it would scratch any part of the vehicle compared to the large stiff hose.

The hose factor is the 1 glaring imperfection with this vacuum.

CC268
09-04-2016, 09:06 AM
I love my Rigid and have been thinking about picking up that Auto Detailing Kit.

Eldorado2k
09-04-2016, 10:33 AM
I love my Rigid and have been thinking about picking up that Auto Detailing Kit.

What model Ridgid do you have?

CC268
09-04-2016, 10:39 AM
What model Ridgid do you have?

Rigid 12 Gal 5 HP - why?

Eldorado2k
09-04-2016, 11:05 AM
Rigid 12 Gal 5 HP - why?

Because vacuuming is my fav part of detailing a car, and I was curious to know what kind of vacuum you use...

CC268
09-04-2016, 11:18 AM
Because vacuuming is my fav part of detailing a car, and I was curious to know what kind of vacuum you use...

Oh haha - so do you think the auto detailing kit would be worth buying?

Eldorado2k
09-04-2016, 11:29 AM
Oh haha - so do you think the auto detailing kit would be worth buying?

Yes.

CC268
09-04-2016, 03:12 PM
Yes.

I just bought that auto detail kit for the Ridgid...I like it a lot - the hose is great. Only thing that disappointed me is the "claw" attachment does not fit on the end of the hose very tightly. Home Depot has an "updated" version of the claw, but I don't want to spend the money on it lol (I think it is like $12).

markiteight
09-04-2016, 03:28 PM
I disagree with this.^
I have a Ridgid 1450 with both the 2.5" hose and the 1.25" hose that comes in the auto detailing kit.

I've done numerous tests comparing both hoses, and in no way does the 1.25" hose pull with more velocity than the larger hose.

It's a tough call deciding which hose and accessories to go with so I went with all of them. The only bad part is of course that the 2.5" accesories can't be use when the 1.25" hose is connected. [but the 1.25" accesories can be use with the 2.5" hose via adapter]

I usually end up deciding which hose to use depending on the job at hand. If the vehicle is trashed I use the 2.5" hose for the extra power. If the vehicle isn't too bad or it's simply a weekly maintenance vacuum I use the 1.25" orange hose as it's much easier to maneuver around with and I can pretty much leave it on 1 side of the vehicle and reach both sides. It's also quieter and like OP mentioned, it doesn't seem like it would scratch any part of the vehicle compared to the large stiff hose.

The hose factor is the 1 glaring imperfection with this vacuum.

You can't disagree with the laws of physics. Well...you can, but you'd be wrong. It's called Bernoulli's Principal:
fluid dynamics - Relation between pressure, velocity and area - Physics Stack Exchange (http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/95620/relation-between-pressure-velocity-and-area)
Please note in my original post the statement "all else being equal." If the smaller diameter hose is not pulling greater suction than the larger hose, something is not equal. Most likely the Rigid doesn't have the power to deal with maintaining flow rate through a smaller hose. There's a reason why higher end carpet extractors use multiple, powerful, multi stage vacuum motors and smaller diameter hoses. In order to do their job effectively they need LOTS of suction. That is accomplished by moving lots of air through a small space.

You can easily see this in practice here: McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer (http://www.autogeek.net/dp-turbo-car-dryer.html) The tapered nozzle is the key: it converts volume into velocity to quickly and effectively remove water from the vehicle's surfaces. Try removing the tapered nozzle and see what happens.

To clarify: the 2" diameter hose will be capable of higher PEAK flow than the 1.25" hose, but that doesn't necessarily mean the flow rate asked for by the Rigid vacuum is at or near the peak flow. However, the motor in the vacuum will try to displace a certain amount of air at a given RPM. Reduce the diameter of the hose and velocity MUST increase in order for the motor to accomplish its task.

Eldorado2k
09-04-2016, 03:29 PM
I just bought that auto detail kit for the Ridgid...I like it a lot - the hose is great. Only thing that disappointed me is the "claw" attachment does not fit on the end of the hose very tightly. Home Depot has an "updated" version of the claw, but I don't want to spend the money on it lol (I think it is like $12).

Yea don't worry about the claw.. It sucks. I have 2 and never use them. I have them tucked away in a box who knows where..
You see that little triangle brush with the black bristles? Say hello to your new best friend. From now on that little brush will do most of your grunt work. Upholstery seats, carpets, just about anything that gets in your way it'll do it and do it fast. You're gonna love that brush.

Eldorado2k
09-04-2016, 03:31 PM
And just in case you don't know yet... You can connect the orange hose to your black hose with the included coupler, just in case you want to get 17' of hose length for whatever reason.