PDA

View Full Version : Another Damn Scratch

Pages : [1] 2

voidpointer
09-03-2016, 12:56 PM
Half rant; half request for advice. It really irks me every time I wash my car and find some new scrape on the side of my car. I really don't want to be "that guy" that parks out in BFE just to avoid cars parking next to me. Maybe that'll be what it takes. But how do you guys manage this issue? And for any dings/scratches/paint marks that you find, what advice can you offer for removing or fixing them?

LSNAutoDetailing
09-03-2016, 12:57 PM
Daily driver or garage queen?
My daily drivers take a beating and luckily as each has turned the 100k+ club but show their wear and scars. However they still look excellent and we get lots of compliments. I don't lose sleep over the DD's.

The garage queen is a different story as its in show car cond. hence, it rarely gets driven... Cruise nights or a cruise on the back country roads.

voidpointer
09-03-2016, 12:59 PM
This is my commute car. I park in the garage but I use it every day for driving to work, the grocery store, anything really that doesn't require much luggage space.

LSNAutoDetailing
09-03-2016, 01:07 PM
Expect it on DD's... For dings you can use dent wizard, polishing will remove scratches, do a coating, drive & enjoy the car. That's why I keep cars into 100 - 200 k miles. I keep them looking new (with a fair share of wear), take care of them and drive the heck out of them.

That's why I have a play toy... Kept in the garage. Gets less than 2k miles a year on it.

BrutalNoodle
09-03-2016, 01:21 PM
Most polishes would take care of minor scuffs/transfer with little effort.

I normally bust out M205 with a hand wax pad for these occasions, and then a sealant/wax of choice onto the spot(s).

It's the nature of the beast. Recently I had a guy standing right next to my vehicle - so close that his jacket zipper and plastic buckles from his backpack were tapping on the rear quarter panel. The whole damn block was empty behind me, yet he chose to hover right there before j-walking across. I blurted out, "OH, C'MON!" and he turned around an said sorry. I guess he heard me as my sunroof was opened. Funny thing is I felt bad for raising my voice.

voidpointer
09-03-2016, 01:23 PM
Expect it on DD's... For dings you can use dent wizard, polishing will remove scratches, do a coating, drive & enjoy the car. That's why I keep cars into 100 - 200 k miles. I keep them looking new (with a fair share of wear), take care of them and drive the heck out of them.

That's why I have a play toy... Kept in the garage. Gets less than 2k miles a year on it.
I clay and wax but don't polish. Everything else already takes too much time. Polishing still follows the same once or twice a year cycle I assume?

TTQ B4U
09-03-2016, 01:27 PM
I'm "that guy" who parks in the middle of nowhere. I usually leave 6 rows between me and another vehicle. If I can't find that many rows, I go out at least 30 cars from everyone else. :xyxthumbs:

As I get older I can use the extra steps.

LSNAutoDetailing
09-03-2016, 01:31 PM
I clay and wax but don't polish. Everything else already takes too much time. Polishing still follows the same once or twice a year cycle I assume?

Yes, you'll want to paint correct and surface prep before doing a coating. You'll find this should (depending on how deep) take care of most light to moderate scratches. The coating will protect the surface and make maintaining easy.

oldmodman
09-03-2016, 02:07 PM
There is always the funny method of keeping parking lot morons from dinging your doors. I have seen several cars with this on them.

Pool noodles. Those brightly colored soft foam floating things that you see in peoples swimming pools. Get a couple of them, at least six feet long, and hang them from your windows with soft string or rope. Make a bent metal hook that fits over your slightly rolled down window and hang the pool noodles so that an opening door strikes it instead of your paint.

You can even be really crazy and hang several on each side. They also work in a narrow garage with an uncaring wife.

LSNAutoDetailing
09-03-2016, 02:14 PM
There is always the funny method of keeping parking lot morons from dinging your doors. I have seen several cars with this on them.

Pool noodles. Those brightly colored soft foam floating things that you see in peoples swimming pools. Get a couple of them, at least six feet long, and hang them from your windows with soft string or rope. Make a bent metal hook that fits over your slightly rolled down window and hang the pool noodles so that an opening door strikes it instead of your paint.

You can even be really crazy and hang several on each side. They also work in a narrow garage with an uncaring wife.

Will they keep the car afloat in high water? :)

On a serious note, do the best you can. Park way out in notorious parking lots. Most of the door dingers
Like to park close to the store.

Clean, clay, Polish and protect. Coatings help a lot and are durable.
Look into McKee's as its bubba proof and exceptional.

I live in NH... Snow, salt, sand, slushy mixes of all that crap sprayed from cars. And, I love getting pelted by the sander truck on the highway!

DD's take abuse, that's why modern clears are getting harder and tougher... Good, bad for quick correction. That's why I say correct and coat before you have a big job on your hands.

Setec Astronomy
09-03-2016, 02:27 PM
I really don't want to be "that guy" that parks out in BFE just to avoid cars parking next to me. Maybe that'll be what it takes. But how do you guys manage this issue?

Honestly, I think everyone on this forum parks in BFE to avoid cars parking next to them. There are a lot of other strategies though...parking at the end of rows, etc.

Kamakaz1961
09-03-2016, 02:40 PM
I park very far from everyone. I usually find a spot that has one side as a curb. I usually drop my friends off to whatever we are doing...restaurant, shopping etc. I usually drive to the spot most people do not park. They hate walking. My ride is almost 5 years old and no scratches or door dings. My friends and girlfriend say I anal park...OK by me!! Might I suggest parking very far away from it all and IMO your scratches will be reduced.

voidpointer
09-03-2016, 02:44 PM
When you guys talk about "applying a coat", are you referring to the polish? Or the wax after the polish?

BrutalNoodle
09-03-2016, 03:02 PM
Protection after polishing; as it removes the imperfections and any protection had on prior.

Hammer77
09-03-2016, 03:09 PM
With a DD it's going to happen. I do selective parking, if I go somewhere where they do not have shopping carts I am that guy in BFE. Carts involved, I look around and find some of the nicer vehicles to park in between, or next too. In my experience others look for the same thing, as they can tell who will be cautious. Went to a grocery store the other day, parked mid pack one spot open on each side, when I got out of the store, a new Lincoln on one side and a fairly new Impala on the other. I knew I was good. But out there in BFE you have no protection from shopping carts, with a good wind I have seen them travel about 15 mph, and they do damage. I work for a mid west retailer and have seen it first hand what they can do!