PDA

View Full Version : McKee's Wheel Coating - Prep?

Pages : [1] 2

CC268
09-03-2016, 10:28 AM
Hey guys,

I think I ought to order a wheel coating as I have held off for a while now. I am thinking McKee's is the cheapest and one of the easiest to apply. In terms of prepping the wheel - Is it alright if I use D143 to thoroughly clean isntead of the McKee's Foaming Wheel Cleaner Gel? Or is there something specific about the Wheel Cleaner Gel that is needed?

expdetailing
09-03-2016, 10:43 AM
You can use either, just rinse thoroughly. If you can, at least clay the outer face of the wheel. If you can take the wheels off, I would clay the barrels too.

Nick McKees37
09-03-2016, 11:11 AM
Hey guys,

I think I ought to order a wheel coating as I have held off for a while now. I am thinking McKee's is the cheapest and one of the easiest to apply. In terms of prepping the wheel - Is it alright if I use D143 to thoroughly clean isntead of the McKee's Foaming Wheel Cleaner Gel? Or is there something specific about the Wheel Cleaner Gel that is needed?

I would stick with McKee's 37 Foaming Wheel Cleaner Gel because it deep cleans the wheels to remove embedded iron particles (brake dust). It's important to get the wheel as clean as possible before applying the coating. :xyxthumbs:

I would:

Wash
Clay
Prep polish (or prep spray)
Coating

:props:

CC268
09-03-2016, 11:13 AM
I have Sonax Full Effect too which I forgot I had. That can certainly be used as well.

I will pick up another clay bar for just my wheels as well...definitely wouldn't want to use that clay bar on my paint after haha

FUNX650
09-03-2016, 12:18 PM
I have Sonax Full Effect too
which I forgot I had.

That can certainly be used as well.

Sure...it can be used...but is
that the best "prep-product"
for McKee's Wheel Coating?

Bob

CC268
09-03-2016, 12:24 PM
Sure...it can be used...but is
that the best "prep-product"
for McKee's Wheel Coating?

Bob

Idk Bob you tell me. I can tell you I will end up with about 1000 different products if I buy every product that is "specifically" meant for this and that.

ronkh57
09-03-2016, 12:38 PM
Idk Bob you tell me. I can tell you I will end up with about 1000 different products if I buy every product that is "specifically" meant for this and that.

Welcome to the club.......... :D

FUNX650
09-03-2016, 12:40 PM
Idk Bob you tell me.

Nick already did:

I would stick with
McKee's 37 Foaming Wheel Cleaner Gel...

Bob

CC268
09-03-2016, 12:48 PM
Bob that is Simply a subjective opinion. Doesn't mean that is the only way to go about it

CC268
09-03-2016, 12:53 PM
Welcome to the club.......... :D

Haha this forum is great but like many forums you can make your head explode with all the different products. I love Auto Fetish detailing on YouTube as he keeps it super simple...

boomdone
09-03-2016, 12:57 PM
I have Sonax Full Effect too which I forgot I had. That can certainly be used as well.

I will pick up another clay bar for just my wheels as well...definitely wouldn't want to use that clay bar on my paint after haha

I'd say with the Sonax then claybar you'll be in great shape. After claying I'd give it an IPA wipedown just to ensure they're squeaky clean before coating.

FUNX650
09-03-2016, 01:02 PM
Bob that is Simply a subjective opinion.
Doesn't mean that is the only way to
go about it
Objectively speaking:
Both of the above sentences are
Simply your subjective opinions.

So...the manufacturers' recommendation
doesn't hold much weight in your viewpoint?

Bob

CC268
09-03-2016, 01:18 PM
Objectively speaking:
Both of the above sentences are
Simply your subjective opinions.

Bob

It does...however why would I spend more money on another product if I have a product already that could do the job. If I listened to every single manufacturer I'd have A LOT of product. I have three wheel cleaners already why in the world would I need another. Maybe it has some sort of magical properties to it that work better than the product I already have? This is marketing at its finest.

Kyser13
09-05-2016, 09:14 AM
Are the McKee products safe for my shiny black Pro Comp wheels? I don't want them to get a ruined finish like m last set of black wheels.

Rmd
09-05-2016, 11:27 AM

Bob

I would not expect a manufacturer to recommend a competitor's products as being better than its own. That would make for interesting ad copy.
That said, its not truly apples to apples, since PBMG also sells the competitors product, so it would profit either way, but I would bet that there is more profit potential in retailing a product that they manufacture themselves as compared to a competitor's product that they have to buy wholesale and then mark up to retail.