PDA

View Full Version : Good wheel cleaner that is cheaper than Sonax?

Pages : [1] 2

CC268
09-02-2016, 10:49 PM
As much as I love Sonax, it isn't real cost effective when it comes to detailing my big truck wheels and SUV wheels. Just wondering what you guys think of something like Meguiar's Wheel Brightener or their Non-Acid Wheel Cleaner. If you haven't noticed I really like Meguiar's Professional series because it seems to work quite well and is very cost effective. I am open to any suggestions however (even if that means staying with Sonax!)

Thanks!

Hammer77
09-02-2016, 10:57 PM
I like and use D143, great cleaning power. I use a foaming nozzle on my spray bottle seems to use a little more but for the price, that's OK with me. Give it a shot $20 for a lot of cleaner.

LEDetailing
09-02-2016, 11:12 PM
I like and use D143, great cleaning power. I use a foaming nozzle on my spray bottle seems to use a little more but for the price, that's OK with me. Give it a shot $20 for a lot of cleaner.

Meguiar's Non Acid wheel and tire, D143 is a great wheel cleaner. I have learned a neat trick. After washing my car for years bimonthly. I switched to a weekly/biweekly wash. Guess what, no more wheel cleaner needed for the wheel faces. Just use your favorite car wash (Hyper wash works well). Still keep the tires and barrels cleaned with D143. It is a great tire cleaner too as the name implies.

forgot to add I use d143 at 2:1 dilution. Gives you 3 gallons for $20. Equals about $1.65 per 32oz spray bottle. Now that is a good value:)

Eldorado2k
09-02-2016, 11:12 PM
Get some D143 and dilute it @2:1

You won't regret the purchase.

LEDetailing
09-02-2016, 11:26 PM
^^^^^^^Something tells me that D143 is popular:)^^^^^^^

The Guz
09-02-2016, 11:55 PM
Don't waste your money on Mirror Bright. It has no clinging ability whatsoever. D143 is nice as it serves a dual purpose in a wheel cleaner and tire cleaner. Seal orcoat your wheels and all you will need is soap and water. I own D143 and I don't know when I last used it. It's been months since I last used it after coating my wheels.

Griot's Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner is also good if you are looking for one that changes color. Clings better than Mirror Bright. Optimum Ferrex is another as well is you want that color changing feature.

Eldorado2k
09-03-2016, 12:08 AM
Don't waste your money on Mirror Bright. It has no clinging ability whatsoever. D143 is nice as it serves a dual purpose in a wheel cleaner and tire cleaner. Seal orcoat your wheels and all you will need is soap and water. I own D143 and I don't know when I last used it. It's been months since I last used it after coating my wheels.

Griot's Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner is also good if you are looking for one that changes color. Clings better than Mirror Bright. Optimum Ferrex is another as well is you want that color changing feature.

How do you clean your tires?

The Guz
09-03-2016, 12:19 AM
How do you clean your tires?

I coated my tires as well with DP Tire Coating (now McKee's 37). Soap, a mothers tire brush and water is all I need if I do a bucket wash. Or a wipedown with a dedicated set of microfiber towels for wheel and tires when I do a rinseless wash. The coating keeps the dirt from penetrating into the tire. It also keeps the browning from building up from within the tire. It's like having a layer of clear on the tires. Either wash method is all that is needed.

I simply recoat the tires when they are in need of a fresh application. Right now I am at 4 months with DP Tire Coating that has been proved to be pretty durable. Was testing to see how long I could go without reapplying so I can get an idea of how durable the tire coating is. I am starting to see areas where the coating has begun to come off. I will be recoating them sometime over the next week.

Also a tire cleaner won't completely strip the DP Tire Coating in one shot. Especially if it's fresh. Trust me I tried. Nick provided me with some valuable information on what will actually remove it.

Saves me a lot of time and work having both wheels and tires coated. Same can be said on my dad's Impala which has the same combo.

Eldorado2k
09-03-2016, 12:37 AM
Also a tire cleaner won't completely strip the DP Tire Coating in one shot. Especially if it's fresh. Trust me I tried.

Yea I figured your tires were coated as well... That's why I'm somewhat surprised you'd rather go through the trouble of having to bend down and use brushes or wash mitts when simply spraying D143 on both wheel and tire and hosing it off sounds alot easier.

As far as D143 not stripping off the tire coating in 1 shot, IME it won't strip the Endura Tire Coating at all no matter if you tried. Which is great because I can still use it to spray on / hose off and make them look new again if they happen to become a bit dirty.

The Guz
09-03-2016, 12:51 AM
Yea I figured your tires were coated as well... That's why I'm somewhat surprised you'd rather go through the trouble of having to bend down and use brushes or wash mitts when simply spraying D143 on both wheel and tire and hosing it off sounds alot easier.

As far as D143 not stripping off the tire coating in 1 shot, IME it won't strip the Endura Tire Coating at all no matter if you tried. Which is great because I can still use it to spray on / hose off and make them look new again if they happen to become a bit dirty.

I don't bend down. I have a stool to sit on and it's one quick swipe. I don't do too many bucket washes anyway. So no need to take out the hose.

Eldorado2k
09-03-2016, 12:54 AM
I don't bend down. I have a stool to sit on and it's one quick swipe. I don't do too many bucket washes anyway. So no need to take out the hose.

I was expecting you to mention your Rupes knee pads.😏lol.

dcjredline
09-03-2016, 07:32 AM
I too would say put some protection on your wheels. HydrO2, Opti-seal are very simple and only need to be applied once every month or so. Then you wont need anything stonger. I do LOVE me some D143 though cause I do some cars that are NOT taken care of and it works well for tires and wheels.

CC268
09-03-2016, 08:13 AM
Heyyy another product to buy...just placed an order for the entire store of Autogeek lol. I do agree that a wheel coating is the way to go...just haven't paid for that one uet

NotoriouswithaG
09-03-2016, 12:46 PM
another +1 for Griot's heavy duty wheel cleaner here. Been using it for years and it hasn't failed me yet. I have used Sonax in the past and I still give Griots the slighter edge.

tedj101
09-03-2016, 02:19 PM
I coated my tires as well with DP Tire Coating (now McKee's 37). Soap, a mothers tire brush and water is all I need if I do a bucket wash. Or a wipedown with a dedicated set of microfiber towels for wheel and tires when I do a rinseless wash. The coating keeps the dirt from penetrating into the tire. It also keeps the browning from building up from within the tire. It's like having a layer of clear on the tires. Either wash method is all that is needed.

I simply recoat the tires when they are in need of a fresh application. Right now I am at 4 months with DP Tire Coating that has been proved to be pretty durable. Was testing to see how long I could go without reapplying so I can get an idea of how durable the tire coating is. I am starting to see areas where the coating has begun to come off. I will be recoating them sometime over the next week.

Also a tire cleaner won't completely strip the DP Tire Coating in one shot. Especially if it's fresh. Trust me I tried. Nick provided me with some valuable information on what will actually remove it.

Saves me a lot of time and work having both wheels and tires coated. Same can be said on my dad's Impala which has the same combo.

I would recoat now. I did a similar test and after 6 months (outside in Delaware) you are pushing it. I now recoat every 3 to 4 months...

<TED>