PDA

View Full Version : From what I've read - Meg's APC on leather = bad?

Pages : [1] 2 3

CC268
09-02-2016, 08:52 PM
So...I have done A LOT of reading on leather cleaners (APC, OPC, "dedicated leather cleaners"). There seems to be a lot of debate as to what is safe and I am not even sure what to believe anymore. I was going to use Meg's APC at 10:1 to clean leather seats, but I am not too sure if it is actually a good thing to be putting on leather whether it is coated or not. I am a big fan of SPRAY on cleaners and protectants as it makes the job so easy - not to mention I like Meguiar's product line as I can get a gallon of the product for so cheap.

What are your guys' thoughts on this? I may be better off just "swallowing the pill" and buying Optimum Power Clean and Optimum Leather Protectant or going with Meguiar's line of D180 and D181. I know this has been beat to death, but I really don't want to use product on my vehicles that could cause potential damage.

zero4
09-02-2016, 09:22 PM
I use Leather Master strong cleaner for leather that is not too dirty. On dirty leather, I've used Meg's APC and it cleaned up nicely. I had no issues at all. Make sure you wipe with a damp microfiber towel after using the APC and apply a protectant afterwards.

Eldorado2k
09-02-2016, 09:26 PM
Watch this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RaQeoq-N0-s

BM1024
09-02-2016, 09:48 PM
Watch this.

Darren for the (long winded) win!

I say use what you are comfortable with. Personally I use APC 20:1 on some leather (dye transfer areas - untreated leather seats as did the previous owner for 16 years) and it works fine. I also follow it with a conditioner once a week. That's what works for me. (I do keep and use Meg's Gold Class Leather Cleaner/Condition for the steering wheel & Gear shift. Those spots don't like APC - different leather.)

Others here and elsewhere say only Lexol, Pinnacle, Wolfgang, or Unicorn Spit. It's what works for them.

I'd say since you are afraid of possible damage, then go with something mild that is leather specific. If it works for you, great! If not, move to the next product. Half the fun of detailing is trying new stuff.

P.S. Not coming down on you...we all have our comfort zones. Many here love doing paint corrections, but I'm never touch my car with a DA. Why? Because that's outside my comfort zone.

dcjredline
09-02-2016, 10:12 PM
I dont know where you saw that Megs APC would be bad on leather. I would ALWAYS do a test spot in an inconspicuous area tho. If you are uncomfortable with that then go for the D180 and 181, cant go wrong there. I have finally bit the bullet and got the leather specific cleaner from Megs and LOVE IT!!! And can sleep well knowing there is very little chance to mess something up.

The Guz
09-02-2016, 10:35 PM
It's safe as long as it's used properly.

CC268
09-02-2016, 10:37 PM
There was a really long thread years back on here from some of the top "leather" experts who basically said it was bad. LONG thread. I think I may bite the bullet and order D180 and D181 tonight...

CC268
09-02-2016, 10:43 PM
Watch this.

Good video and interesting...food for thought...reality is there is a lot of different opinions. I really may just bite the bullet and buy the D180 and D181 and call it good.

The Guz
09-02-2016, 10:45 PM
There was a really long thread years back on here from some of the top "leather" experts who basically said it was bad. LONG thread. I think I may bite the bullet and order D180 and D181 tonight...

By the way this is currently on sale. It will last you awhile and I linked you the replacement cleaner if you ever need more in your other thread. You can also find both locally. Will save you a bit of cash.

Meguiars Gold Class Leather Sealer Treatment (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-leather-sealer-system.html)

Eldorado2k
09-02-2016, 10:46 PM
You say you're a fan of spray on cleaners? It's not really recommended to spray D101 or D181 directly onto the surface. It can be done, and I've sprayed D101 onto leather and vinyl prior to scrubbing with a nylon brush, but according to the label it's recommended to spray onto a towel or applicator and then rub the surface clean.

If you already have D101... It can work just fine @10:1 and be followed up with Megs OTC Gold Class Leather Cleaner & Conditioner for nearly the same exact results. I guess It all depends on whether you feel like treating yourself to new stuff or you're in a budget kinda mood.

Eldorado2k
09-02-2016, 10:51 PM
By the way this is currently on sale. It will last you awhile and I linked you the replacement cleaner if you ever need more in your other thread. You can also find both locally. Will save you a bit of cash.

Meguiars Gold Class Leather Sealer Treatment (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-leather-sealer-system.html)

The replacement cleaner might as well be D101. Looks, acts, and cleans alot like it.

CC268
09-02-2016, 10:52 PM
You say you're a fan of spray on cleaners? It's not really recommended to spray D101 or D181 directly onto the surface. It can be done, and I've sprayed D101 onto leather and vinyl prior to scrubbing with a nylon brush, but according to the label it's recommended to spray onto a towel or applicator and then rub the surface clean.

If you already have D101... It can work just fine @10:1 and be followed up with Megs OTC Gold Class Leather Cleaner & Conditioner for nearly the same exact results. I guess It all depends on whether you feel like treating yourself to new stuff or you're in a budget kinda mood.

You know...it is one of those things where I just like the liberty of having a gallon of something so I can be a little more liberal with the product...on the other hand I know how easy it is to get out of hand with buying product like crazy...I have bought a ridiculous amount of stuff for detailing...and I just do my own vehicles! So I am trying to be conscious of that if that makes sense.

I have some really nice microfiber applicators for MF Tech so I can always use that to apply instead of spraying directly onto the surface.

CC268
09-02-2016, 10:57 PM
I guess what I am trying to say is that I honestly don't mind paying $20-$30 for a gallon of product...but when I start to pay $20-$30 for 16oz of product I really question whether it is worth it.

Eldorado2k
09-02-2016, 11:05 PM
I have some really nice microfiber applicators for MF Tech so I can always use that to apply instead of spraying directly onto the surface.

I apply both D101 and D181 with quality terry hand towels. I apply D180 with terry applicators for cleaning, and large microfiber applicators from HF when I'm mainly using it for conditioning.

CC268
09-02-2016, 11:14 PM
Haha I love that guy from Auto Fetish on YouTube...I totally agree with him that people make this way too complicated...keep it simple! Hell he just uses D101 for leather cleaning