PDA

View Full Version : Single stage Case tractor oxidation

Pages : [1] 2

Craddock
09-01-2016, 10:11 AM
HI all. My name is Josh and this is my first post for the second time. Much easier in the app!!

I have been fighting a faded out red Case tractor. I have never used m100 before and after realizing I needed more aggressive compound than I had with I ran and bought some locally. I initially thought I could get by with something less aggressive but that was not the case. This job has been frustrating to say the least. Very short working time(sometimes as low as 10 seconds), , difficult time removing compound, pads dirty all the time, ect. It is more like removing oxidation from gelcoat than working with paint. On that note I wish I had some of my gel coat polish to try as it is very aggressive. The m100 does actually finish out very well if I can get the residue off. Been keeping an old pad with 205 handy just to wipe finish. Or hitting with da in some spots. A lot of work with a drill and 3" pad. Need a 3" tool that I can put an extension on soon. Tired and sore. This is not easy working conditions on the cab and roof, and I am regretting taking this on. The m100 does not remove fine scratches thst I had hoped it would ,but I am not too worried about that. Have a bunch of small spots to finish that are hard to get to. A 3" dedicated tool is on my list for sure. Thanks for this wonderful forum. Any advice will be greatly welcomed. Here are some pictures. -Josh

Craddock
09-01-2016, 10:18 AM
Sorry for pics. I did not mean to upload like that . They do not look clear as thumbnails

Craddock
09-01-2016, 10:20 AM
See if a single pic work better. Nope. Sorry

GSKR
09-01-2016, 11:47 AM
I did a blue tractor 2 years ago at a tractor dealer.I used d151 with buff and shine pads if that helps.I wouldn't use anything agressive on single stage paint.

Craddock
09-01-2016, 12:32 PM
Thank you for your reply. I feel like I would be there forever with a less aggressive compound. I have done a lot of boats and remember when I finally found a compound that would leave bad swirls in the Gel. That was an exciting day! I spent two full days on this tractor as it is and it is not finished. A lighter compound might kill me. I should have sanded I instead but then I have all these areas where I almost have to finish by hand. It would have helped with the bad orange peel though.

I am clearly doing something wrong. Too much product? But it just dries so fast. Also the pictures must have reduced in low resolution. They do not show the results I am getting clearly. They are only 30-40 kb

It is really frustrating working in small areas with the pad on drill I am using. I have some 3" 3m wool pads but broke the backing pad attachment. I am headed over there soon. Hope I can finish. I will give better detail of what I have done tonight when I am home.

Craddock
09-01-2016, 03:03 PM
Also there is a lot of orange peel. The 205 removed a lot of oxidation but didn't get in the valleys hard enough. My first test I was going to stick with 205 but I had buffer trails? from a da. Seamed to remove more on outside of pad leaving trail hich maybe means I had to much product.I am grinding on it right now with m100 again

Mike Phillips
09-01-2016, 03:22 PM
What are you using with the M100?

It's formulated to be used with a wool pad and a rotary buffer.

If you're not using a wool pad and a rotary buffer with the M100 then get a wool pad as this will make a HUGE difference.

Fibers are abrasives. So cutting with wool and M100 means cutting with two forms of abrasives.

:)

Craddock
09-01-2016, 03:35 PM
7 1/2 Wool pad . All I ever used for years on boats. Lamswool for finishing at times.

rmagnus
09-01-2016, 03:35 PM
Actually wool pads make a huge difference. What DA are you using? weird you're getting buffer trails from a DA. Interesting to see what backing plate/pad you're using. With single stage paints conditioning the paint first makes a huge difference. Something like Megs #7.

Everyone has their preferences but mine for wool are Black Tufbuf Lambswool. They don't lint up everything like others do.

Craddock
09-01-2016, 04:33 PM
Not really buffer trails like a rotary. Clear marks where more oxidation was taken of per edge. Could have been a pressure thing. Anyway. Most of it was all rotary.

Hoytman
09-01-2016, 06:58 PM
If you're getting buffer trails with M205 and NOT with M100...something funky is going on. Maybe you should talk to Mike personally via phone. When you speak with him I'd be surprised if Meguiar's M7 isn't mentioned (maybe even M3) in the conversation. Then again, Mike seems to always have 'other' options up his sleeve at his disposal. LOL!!

MIsnowman
09-01-2016, 07:31 PM
I've had great luck using some of the Marine 31 products on our farm equipment per Mike P's recommendation. Although its not gelcoat, most farm equipment has plenty of paint on there. The gelcoat heavy cut cleaner wax from Marine 31 has worked great at removing oxidation and finishes decently. I've used it with a wool pad and an orange hybrid on both the 3401 and a rotary. Following with Marine 31 all in one polish and wax on a white hybrid leaves a really nice finish and mirror like shine. My dad couldn't believe it was the same tractor when he saw it. I'll be sure to get pictures of the next one I do. All our tractors are the other color though. :)

GSKR
09-01-2016, 07:33 PM
If your grinding on single stage paint,the buffer trails maybe tiger stripes that you are seeing.maybe or maybe not.That tractor is a 3 hr polishing job.I would of used a cleaner wax on a da xmt 360 with red buff and shine da pad.

Craddock
09-01-2016, 08:10 PM
3 hour polishing job? It would be hard to do the top of ROP in three hours! Unless I used my gelcoat compound. I buy that in 2 gallon buckets. One is for 400 grit scratches but the polish is awesome. One thing I cant buy on this site. But my composite supplier is close so no biggie.

But three hours? No way! Btw. Forget I said buffer trails. I tried to explain they are not what you think. The trail is the best part of those sections. Not a flaw. Very noticeable because it was not agressive enough throughout the pass. Didnt matter because I went to the rotary anyway after second try which was UC on Orange LC. Same thing. Not enough cut. Rotary and wool and m100 had cut but had super short working time. Clean pad. Clean section. Remove compound!! Go at it again. Then again. The gelcoat polish I use would have been awesome. 3 hours is funny. You gonna have scaffold built? 3 hours just for hand and drill work. All wool. All m100. I am willing to listen but a cleaner polish works better than m100? I am sore so sorry if I am coming across wrong. This acted more like gel than paint

Craddock
09-01-2016, 08:19 PM
Any way to get higer resolution pics? These are uploaded at only 30 kb. What is everyone else doing. Oh and by the way. I did use #7. I see that was mentioned a few times.