PDA

View Full Version : How do you maintain your microfiber glass towels?

Zelfiris
09-01-2016, 09:57 AM
Hey guys,

Its been many years since I have joined AG and I realized I never knew how to maintain my microfiber glass towels. These towels are kept away from other MF towels to keep them "lint and dust free"

My process for cleaning glass is use either ONR (or stone glass cleaner) with one MF towel. Come back with a second MF to dry off. Then bust out of my glass MF towel and do a final buff. And I only use the glass MF towel for the front and rear windshields. Because I have always follow these steps my glass MF towel has remained very clean over the years. Now some parts of the towel feel oily, most likely from very dirty glass I cleaned in the past.

How does everyone wash them?

Setec Astronomy
09-01-2016, 10:00 AM
What kind of towels are they? I wash my glass towels just like my other MF towels, I just wash them separately.

Zelfiris
09-01-2016, 10:07 AM
They're called thief glass towels (AG doesn't seem to carry them). I purchased them in 2010 or 2011

70/30 blend of microfiber

brvczy
09-01-2016, 10:28 AM
I agree with Setec Astronomy. I wash mine like the other MF towels, but ALWAYS separately. Also, if I use different colored MF towels with the same detailing product, I still wash them separately. Chemical Guys Microfiber Wash, Chemical Guys Microfiber Wash + Microfiber Cleaning Detergent, microfiber detergent, microfiber cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/chemical-guys-microfiber-wash-128.html)

I know some may be wary of doing a single wash load for just a few towels, but your only using a small amount of the CG MF Wash and you don't want the detailing products to interact during the wash. By washing the MF towels separately, the CG MF Wash formula can effectively clean and flush out any detailing product effectively. If I am not washing the MF towels immediately after use, I will rinse them in warm water (no soap/wash). Not sure if that is necessary, but it's what I do.

I have had nothing but great results with CG MF Wash.

BM1024
09-01-2016, 10:38 AM
I wash my glass, paint, and interior towels together. My wheel and shop towels get their own loads. At the end of a detail (or week of touch ups) I drop the towels in a empty (clean) 5 gallon bucket. When it is about 3/4 full I fill with water and add 1 to 2 oz or Meguair's APC straight. Agitate gentle by hand and let them sit overnight. Next day I remove them (don't wring) and put in washer. I add some dye/fragrance free detergent, a bit more APC, and 2 oz ONR (non-diluted) and wash them on the delicate cycle with and extra rinse. Then into the dryer for a tumble on low heat. If they are still damp then tumble air only until dry.

Once dry, fold and placed in proper storage containers.

Works for me, towels look great, and never had an issue.

BMW435
09-01-2016, 10:49 AM
What kind of towels are they? I wash my glass towels just like my other MF towels, I just wash them separately.

Same here

Setec Astronomy
09-01-2016, 11:03 AM
They're called thief glass towels (AG doesn't seem to carry them). I purchased them in 2010 or 2011

70/30 blend of microfiber

Oh, that's an interesting looking towel.

LEDetailing
09-01-2016, 01:13 PM
Basically same routine here. I store my glass towels on a ziplock bag. Just like all my towels. Even my wash mitts stay in ziplock bags:)

TTQ B4U
09-01-2016, 01:16 PM
I don't use any special ones for glass. For glass I use the same cheaper MF Towels I can get at the local hardware/grocery store. They come in packs of 12 or 24 or so and I usually buy a couple big bag. Must have like 200 in my various containers. I like the keep the color coded system for use. Light baby blue are my glass ones and I stricly use those for inside and outside windows/glass. I wash them separately from the others.

Overall all of my MF are color coded by use and I tend to wash them in batches.

brvczy
09-01-2016, 06:06 PM
I tend to stay away from the cheaper MF towels as they are a blend of 80/20 or worse; can result in scratching. Investing is a good set of MF towels is worth the $ and when properly cared for, will last a long time. IMO

I store my color coded towels in clear plastic containers (the shoe box size works well) so the colors are visible and easy to retrieve.

pheerix
09-01-2016, 06:44 PM
Glass doesn't scratch very easily

Eldorado2k
09-01-2016, 07:57 PM
I tend to stay away from the cheaper MF towels as they are a blend of 80/20 or worse; can result in scratching. Investing is a good set of MF towels is worth the $ and when properly cared for, will last a long time. IMO

The blend ratio has more to do with absorption than anything else.

As far as caring for my glass towels, I just toss them in the load with my washmitts and drying towels. Wash on hot, dry on low. Haven't had any issues.

PaulMys
09-01-2016, 08:22 PM
Hmmm....... Why do you guys wash the glass ones separately?

DBAILEY
09-02-2016, 05:23 AM
Oh, that's an interesting looking towel.

I agree. I haven't seen any glass towels like that before.

emmjay
09-02-2016, 06:15 AM
I wash mine in one load with all my towels. BUT I have noticed that my glass waffle weave towels have lost their knack at doing what they are supposed to do. I use two towels so It does not justify the need for a separate wash. But at the same time, they have degraded being washed with my wash media and drying towels which have spray wax on them.

Yes my towels get used up faster and lost their effectiveness, but I'm not wasting water and electricity.

All my towels are washed in one load after every wash every week (except wheel towels). If there was a mini washing machine I would probably wash them separately.