PDA

View Full Version : Mothers Back-to-Black Trim and Plastic Restorer on the rear bummer?

surfbug
08-31-2016, 06:56 PM
I have Mothers Back-to-Black Trim and Plastic Restorer. Can I use it on the rear white bummer?

forrest@mothers
08-31-2016, 09:02 PM
What is the bumper cover made of? Is it painted and smooth or is it textured and non-painted?

ViperGuy21
08-31-2016, 11:31 PM
If it's the aerosol, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you probably won't like that product in general. I was sent a bottle to test and review when it was first launched(the newest formula)and I found it to be very oily, and not last long at all. It got all over the paint even with careful application, and made a mess when it rained. That was with a well prepped surface

forrest@mothers
09-01-2016, 08:06 AM
Now that I take a better look at it, it appears to be a Honda Element, right? What year is it?

I don't recall the rear bumper being white on all of them, so any info you can provide would be appreciated. Here's an image I found on-line:

ViperGuy - the oiliness you describe is a common side effect from applying too much product. Any chance you applied too much aerosol?

idriveabox
09-01-2016, 10:38 AM
Yes, that is the bumper cover on a Honda Element. I have the same vehicle. Some models/years came with a black cover as posted above. I would not recommend back to black on that cover, which is smooth, painted plastic. I simply replaced mine and protect it with the same product I use on the body panels (PERL) but anything with UV protection will do.

ViperGuy21
09-01-2016, 11:10 AM
Now that I take a better look at it, it appears to be a Honda Element, right? What year is it?

I don't recall the rear bumper being white on all of them, so any info you can provide would be appreciated. Here's an image I found on-line:

ViperGuy - the oiliness you describe is a common side effect from applying too much product. Any chance you applied too much aerosol?

I guess it is possible, but I tried to only apply enough to cover the plastics. My chief complaint was that it made such a mess when it rained and didn't last more than 1-2 weeks

surfbug
09-01-2016, 11:40 AM
Can I still use Mothers Back-to-Black Trim and Plastic Restorer on the grey plastic panels on my Honda elements?

forrest@mothers
09-01-2016, 02:28 PM
Can I still use Mothers Back-to-Black Trim and Plastic Restorer on the grey plastic panels on my Honda elements?

Yes, it's perfect for those areas. You should consider buying our Back-to-Black Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/best-car-wax-remover-plastic-trim.html) kit as well - having a clean surface will allow the dressing to lay evenly, and last longer since it's on the trim itself and not just laying on dirt or oxidation.

Rsurfer
09-01-2016, 03:52 PM
Yes, it's perfect for those areas. You should consider buying our Back-to-Black Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/best-car-wax-remover-plastic-trim.html) kit as well - having a clean surface will allow the dressing to lay evenly, and last longer since it's on the trim itself and not just laying on dirt or oxidation.

The cleaner and trim protectant go hand in hand and the best combo that you can buy OTC.