PDA

View Full Version : Capro Cquartz UK install questions

choijw2
08-31-2016, 02:48 PM
So, CQUK getting here on friday
and I have few questions/ concerns about it.

Questions 1
I have McKeeys coating on my car and wondered if menzerna SF3500 will remove it no problem.

Questions 2
I know CQUK is developed to cure faster in colder weather,
Is it mean it will cure even faster during summer time? My garage is usually mid 80's in temp and high humidity.
Any thing I should keep in mind in this situation?

Questions 3
CQUK says use suede mf towel to buff off any left over residue but is it okay to use non suede towel?
Also do you maintance suede mf towel same as non-sueded? I am planning to dunk my mf towels (sueded or not) into bucket of water with detergent from coating to hardening on my towel.

Also anyone used reload, 30 min after CQUK application?

merci beaucoup!

Rsurfer
08-31-2016, 02:57 PM
Why didn't you get CQuartz Classic for warmer climates?

choijw2
08-31-2016, 02:58 PM
Why didn't you get CQuartz Classic for warmer climates?

well I got this off my friend real cheap,
who totaled his car after getting this lol

Rsurfer
08-31-2016, 03:17 PM
well I got this off my friend real cheap,
who totaled his car after getting this lol

Ahhh,
On to your questions:
1. Yes, it should.
2. Do small sections at a time.
3. Yes, you can use a non suede towel to remove CQuartz. They say a regular MF towel has hooks and could be too harsh on the coating,
whereas the suede is flat and smooth. The suede towels are the same blend as MF, so treat it in the same way.

MarkD51
08-31-2016, 03:25 PM
So, CQUK getting here on friday
and I have few questions/ concerns about it.

Questions 1
I have McKeeys coating on my car and wondered if menzerna SF3500 will remove it no problem.

Questions 2
I know CQUK is developed to cure faster in colder weather,
Is it mean it will cure even faster during summer time? My garage is usually mid 80's in temp and high humidity.
Any thing I should keep in mind in this situation?

Questions 3
CQUK says use suede mf towel to buff off any left over residue but is it okay to use non suede towel?
Also do you maintance suede mf towel same as non-sueded? I am planning to dunk my mf towels (sueded or not) into bucket of water with detergent from coating to hardening on my towel.

Also anyone used reload, 30 min after CQUK application?

merci beaucoup!

Answer #1. Yes, you should be fine with Menz SF-3500 as a polish prior to CQ UK Application. But still, a panel wipe type product such as Carpro Eraser, or perhaps a dilute IPA Wipe (probably 10% concentration) should definitely be used. Skip Eraser, or an IPA Wipe, and you most likely will have problems with CQuartz Application.

Answer #2 I have applied the same product in essentially the very same weather as you describe, and only under a carport. But the vehicle was shaded, and the paint temps were at ambient temperatures. Don't apply immediately after just pulling the car into the garage, let the vehicle sit and cool down a good amount of time.

Thing to keep in mind, is not to dilly dally with the application, and wait too long to come behind to level-smooth the coating. Do only one panel at a time such as a fender or door, apply in a cross-hatch pattern, one way, then the other, once you have fully covered the entire panel, which could take a few minute's time to insure you have full coverage, put down the Foam Applicator Block with MF Suede Applicator Sheet, and then begin to wipe and level-smooth. Don't wait any longer than 2 minutes at most between these crucial steps. Otherwise, if you wait too long, or try doing too many panels at once, and again, too much time has passed, you will not be able to level the high spots, or will possibly get smearing that only a re-buff with polishes will cure.

For a larger Panel like a Hood or Roof, it is fine to break that panel into 2, or 4 parts, apply, then come behind and wipe. Just insure you have overlapped application so you haven't missed any areas with the coating.

Answer #3. No, one does not have to necessarily use a large Carpro MF Suede Sheet. When I did my truck, I had 2 Carpro Orange Boa MF Towels as the final wipe towels. I think perhaps why it might be suggested to use the Suede Towels is probably because they are pretty much entirely lint free. So will any good high quality pristine MF Towel such as the Boa, or a Gold Plush.

I was able to save the Boa Towels, and they were unharmed by simply dumping them in the wash immediately after use. But don't try saving the applicator suede sheets, they turn rock hard pretty quickly, and are basically throw away items. Have at least four or five of the 4"x4" size minimum, and toss them if they start looking a little grimy.

"Odd and end tips": Very good lighting is of the utmost importance to examine the paint as you apply. The better the lighting, the better you will be able to determine if you have done a proper application and final wipe. Look at various angles, and be quick, but be precise, and accurate with what you do. At this point, one doesn't wish to be haphazard, dead beat tired, frazzled, or pre-occupied with other issues at hand.

Good overhead lighting will of course help with all horizontal Panels, and lighting of some form on a stand which you can move as you go will be a great aid.

As for Carpro Reload application after CQuartz Coating has been applied. Wait at least a minimum of one full hour before applying reload. It surely won't hurt to err on slightly longer.

One could actually wait many hours, or even a number of days before applying Reload if the vehicle is not a daily driver. The sole purpose of applying Reload after CQ or CQ UK, is that neither of these coatings fully cure until a period of about a full 7 day's time. During this time, and without the use of Reload, the coatings should not be wetted, washed, subjected to rain, as they are prone to water damage and spotting which will not come off short of re-polishing again.

The Reload acts as a protectant topper while the Coatings then fully cure. Reload then should be used as a maintenance product for the life of the coating, but there may be some others, from other companies which would not hurt, nor compromise the benefits and qualities of such a coating. Some that come to mind could be GTechniq C2V3 Spray, and I'm sure there's a multitude of other products which could serve a similar purpose.

Hope this has helped.

choijw2
08-31-2016, 04:11 PM
Thank you all for the respond.