PDA

View Full Version : Simple Headlight Question.

Hammer77
08-31-2016, 09:17 AM
I have been using Megs Plastx and Megs Headlight protectant on my lights. Well I did it a couple weeks ago, and last weekend while washing I noticed a haze. After closer inspection, I could see where I rubbed one of the two products on. I am not knocking either products most likely user error. Anyways no big deal. The headlights are in very good shape. But arriving today I have Gyeon Q2 Trim, and Q2M Prep.

So my simple question is what method should I use to remove the Meguiars products? I was thinking of trying D101, and if that doesn't work, a polish by hand. Or polishing with my GG 3"? For polish I have Megs Ultimate Polish, Wolfgang TSR, Wolfgang Finishing Glaze? Am I in the ballpark with my thinking? Please advise. And prior to the actual coating I will use the Q2M Prep. Like I said my headlights are very clear except for this film I left on them. Thanks in advance!

Dave

AZpolisher15
08-31-2016, 05:40 PM
I've had that haze form and I believe it to be coming from repeated applications of the headlight protectant. It's a nice product, but every so often (like after 3-4 applications), it needs to all be polished off with some PlastX (or any straight up finishing polish). And then you can apply the protectant again. It will be clear following this regimen.

As PlastX contains protective polymers, you probably don't want to use that again before using the Gyeon products. I'd try the Gyeon prep on its own to see if that clears the lenses up for you. If it does, proceede to the coating. If not, I'd use a straight up finishing polish (something like HD polish, for example). Then I'd do the prep again followed by the coating. Hope this helps.

Mike@ShineStruck
08-31-2016, 05:57 PM
In my opinion, since I've been doing a bit more head light restorations..
The headlight sealants are all crap
Either do a ceramic coating or a UV clear coating
Megs actually offers the type of UV head light coating in their Perfect Clarity 2step kit
With that said, in the polish side, can't beat McKee 37 AIO headlight
If they could somehow bundle that with the Meguiers clarity coating Wed have a winner

If you're also on autopia I mentioned 3 great UV headlight aerosol coatings

Hammer77
08-31-2016, 08:26 PM
Thanks guys, very helpfull