PDA

View Full Version : Novice - How to best partition work

Igsimon
08-30-2016, 10:11 AM
I am a novice who has been reading forums here and watching videos for several months. I have 1 2004 Boxster that I recently purchased. It has lots of swirls and light scratches. I purchased a Porter Cable, Wolfgang Swirl Remover, Wolfgang swirl remover, Wolfgang finishing glaze, and Wolfgang sealant. Plan is

2 bucket Wash, Clay, swirl, finishing, sealant. then roof then wheels and tires

My question is how to best brake this into several 3 hour jobs. I have a health problem that limits me to only a few hour a day of this type of work. I also may not be able to work consecutive days. Do I do 1- break it up by steps knowing I will need to wash before each step increasing the work
or 2- break it by sections of car - hood, trunk, drivers side, passenger side?

parttimer
08-30-2016, 10:23 AM
Is this something you will drive each day or can you wash it, garage it and work on it? If you're not driving it all the time, wash it, park in the garage, pick a panel and do your first step. After you have done the entire vehicle. move to the second step and so on.

WeekendDIY
08-30-2016, 10:28 AM
A boxter would basically considered a "small" car correct? Meaning it doesn't have a lot of painted surface as compared to a sedan or SUV.

I would do it by sections. Then do another the next day. If the car will stay garaged and not driven until you get I wouldn't feel you need to wash it again in between your efforts. Maybe do a rinseless or waterless wash on each panel before you get started.

I don't do this for a living but it seems that would work for you. Others here with more experience may certainly have better suggestions and probably will.

Oops...^^^ he beat me to it. :-)

Paul A.
08-30-2016, 10:30 AM
Welcome Igsimon! When i have done this in the past i had good success with doing all of the steps on one section at a time. Each new section i moved to in subsequent sessions were rinseless washed with ONR (Optimum No Rinse) making the wash a lot easier and quick. I have also tried it by washing and decontaminating the entire vehicle first and then doing the paint correction and sealing over several days. Chances are and depending on the environment in which the car is driven, you shouldn't have to decontaminate with clay and iron removal again for a while. A quick section wash and dry before you continue machining and sealing the next areas might allow you to do larger areas in each 3 hour session.

Jaretr1
08-30-2016, 10:56 AM
As mentioned above, it all depends on whether you plan on leaving the car parked and covered or plan on driving it after each session of work. If you plan on driving it, then complete each section. You do not want to leave the paint unprotected when you drive.

If not, compound the entire car, then polish etc. This is the easiest way to work.

Either way, do a section, like a fender or a hood, time yourself to see how long you take as everyone works at different speeds. That will give you an idea on how much to tackle for each work session.

expdetailing
08-30-2016, 11:04 AM
You can perform the clay and polishing steps per panel for every panel. When your finished with all the panels, just wash the car and seal it.

Igsimon
08-30-2016, 02:05 PM
I have a second car. I can leave it in my garage if I need to - the garage is dusty.