PDA

View Full Version : Tiny chips - surface rust

BM1024
08-29-2016, 05:32 PM
I have a few very small rock chips that have developed some rust. Dr. Colorchip is on it's way, but any hints how to get rid of the rust first? (It is just surface rust, for now. I live in AZ and these happened about 3 weeks ago. Monsoon season and almost daily rain has accelerated the rusting process.)

As you can see, they are very small - too small for the pencil eraser/hole punch trick. I'd prefer not to sand outside the chips since any correction would have to be done by hand.

Crispy
08-29-2016, 06:52 PM
I would use a rust converter primer (Corroseal is one)and a tooth pick for the applicator.
You will have too clean with Prep Sol first, to get rid of wax or sealants in the chip.
Two things will happen:
Rust converted to magnatite
Chip is primed for the Dr. ColorChip
Try not to completely fill the chip with the primer, as you need some room for the touchup paint.
Good luck with the touchup-works for me.

LEDetailing
08-29-2016, 09:34 PM
I cringe at admitting to this. I have used my dremel and a tiny engraving bit to remove rust in paint chips. It works well. I clean with Isopropyl alcohol, primer, base coat, and done. It helps calm my nerves when my cars are worth less than the stereos in some of the fancy cars on AGO.

fightnews
08-30-2016, 02:44 PM
my hood looks like it got sandblasted and its only a black 2014, do i just have to get it repainted?

Frank70
08-30-2016, 03:56 PM
I have a few very small rock chips that have developed some rust. Dr. Colorchip is on it's way, but any hints how to get rid of the rust first? (It is just surface rust, for now. I live in AZ and these happened about 3 weeks ago. Monsoon season and almost daily rain has accelerated the rusting process.)

As you can see, they are very small - too small for the pencil eraser/hole punch trick. I'd prefer not to sand outside the chips since any correction would have to be done by hand.

Try searching for 3M Spot Sanding Pen. It may be what you can use. 3M used to make them but I don't think they do anymore.

shadwell
08-30-2016, 06:34 PM
If you are already down to metal ie corrosion and are looking to clean out the corrosion mechanically with precision; a dremel with a small ball engraving head will do the trick, FFS be careful though.. smart to tape around just in case..

mwoolfso
08-31-2016, 08:27 AM
I saw sanding pens at a local Pep Boys recently. I believe it was the 3M section or thereabouts. My daughter's Kia started getting these rust pinpoints. With a cotton swab and some Ferrex Iron Remover I was able to get some pinpoints cleaned up. It took a few passes.