PDA

View Full Version : How many licks.....

BM1024
08-27-2016, 09:09 AM
Looking for opinions here....

I recently purchased a 2000 Avalon that, following the 3 foot rule, looks amazing to the "untrained" eye. (And by untrained, I mean people who unlike us don't spend too much time reading forums!) To see the swirls and light scratches you have to be close and get in just the right light.

The previous owner was OCD - not hyperbole, actual diagnosis. Every October (and occasionally in APril) for the 16 years he "polished and buffed" the car. The problem is getting the details of what that exactly means is not possible. Once a month the car got a coat of Big White. Every week a wash followed by spray wax. When he found a scratch, he "got out the rubbing compound".

That's the info I have on previous care. For me, the car looks ok now. Wash, Opti-Seal, and D156 are keeping the appearance acceptable at the moment. I also know the time will come when I need to start considering breaking out the DA to do some work.

So, the actual question:

Short of buying a $$$ paint gauge - how much clear coat do you think I have to work with? How careful with compounding / polishing do you THINK I need to be? Is 16 years of wear enough to make your scared?

FUNX650
08-27-2016, 11:16 AM
Personally:
•I would no longer consider using
compounds.

Instead:
•I would choose products that are
known to be far less aggressive.
-Products like:
AIOs, and Very Fine/Fine Polishes.

To that end:
•Meguiar's M66; D151
Or:
•Since the previous owner used Great White...
-a complimentary AIO would be FK 215.

Bob

ducksfan
08-27-2016, 03:28 PM
There's guys on this forum in AZ. Might be best to find one with a good gauge and pay/trade him to check.

GSKR
08-27-2016, 05:07 PM
Personally:
•I would no longer consider using
compounds.

Instead:
•I would choose products that are
known to be far less aggressive.
-Products like:
AIOs, and Very Fine/Fine Polishes.

To that end:
•Meguiar's M66; D151
Or:
•Since the previous owner used Great White...
-a complimentary AIO would be FK 215.

Bob
Agree.

klix58
08-27-2016, 07:03 PM
Looking for opinions here....

I recently purchased a 2000 Avalon that, following the 3 foot rule, looks amazing to the "untrained" eye. (And by untrained, I mean people who unlike us don't spend too much time reading forums!) To see the swirls and light scratches you have to be close and get in just the right light.

The previous owner was OCD - not hyperbole, actual diagnosis. Every October (and occasionally in APril) for the 16 years he "polished and buffed" the car. The problem is getting the details of what that exactly means is not possible. Once a month the car got a coat of Big White. Every week a wash followed by spray wax. When he found a scratch, he "got out the rubbing compound".

That's the info I have on previous care. For me, the car looks ok now. Wash, Opti-Seal, and D156 are keeping the appearance acceptable at the moment. I also know the time will come when I need to start considering breaking out the DA to do some work.

So, the actual question:

Short of buying a $$$ paint gauge - how much clear coat do you think I have to work with? How careful with compounding / polishing do you THINK I need to be? Is 16 years of wear enough to make your scared?
I would suggest trying speed with a few different pads and then Proxy or your favorite LSP.