PDA

View Full Version : Question about IPA wipedown

dennis hiip
08-26-2016, 10:34 AM
I plan on using an IPA(10%)wipedown for the fist time in attempting to maximize bonding of LPS and appearence. On the first vehicle I will not polish, but will use a non abrasive paint cleaner. Is there any benifit to using an IPA here after cleaner and before LPS? On the next vehicle, I'll be polishing with Menzernal 4000. Is there any benifit here to using the IPA? I will clay bar after wash.

LSNAutoDetailing
08-26-2016, 10:51 AM
You can use an IPA on your test spot to see your results, but unless you are doing a ceramic coating, I would forgo the IPA.

Problem is, a home-made IPA has no lubricity, thus risk of inducing marring that you just took out. CarPro Erasure would be better.

However, If you wanted to wipe down prior to non-coating LSP, you could use an ONR or rinseless wash such as Meg's D114.

The Guz
08-26-2016, 11:19 AM
You may want to read this article

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31186-miscible-immiscible-wax-paint-sealant-bonding.html

dennis hiip
08-26-2016, 11:44 AM
Thanks, that helps clarify this concern for me.

Mike Phillips
08-26-2016, 12:55 PM
You may want to read this article

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31186-miscible-immiscible-wax-paint-sealant-bonding.html

Thank you for remembering the article, locating it and sharing it.

:dblthumb2: :dblthumb2: :dblthumb2:

The Guz
08-26-2016, 03:13 PM
Thank you for remembering the article, locating it and sharing it.

:dblthumb2: :dblthumb2: :dblthumb2:

You are welcome. I have it bookmarked and subscribed along with many of your other articles for reference.

TTQ B4U
08-29-2016, 04:13 PM
I plan on using an IPA(10%)wipedown for the fist time in attempting to maximize bonding of LPS and appearence. On the first vehicle I will not polish, but will use a non abrasive paint cleaner. Is there any benifit to using an IPA here after cleaner and before LPS? On the next vehicle, I'll be polishing with Menzernal 4000. Is there any benifit here to using the IPA? I will clay bar after wash.

I would wash and clean up the vehicle. After the initial wash I'd hit it with some Iron-X to chemically decontaminate it. From there I would suggest that you ditch the old-school clay and move to a nanoskin mitt. Mainly for the the sake of ease of use and how awesome they are at what they do. They work great and save you time and can be reused dozens of times. Not to mention if you drop it, your simply wash it off. Use a nice bucket of soapy water and make a second pass around the freshly cleaned car using the nano mitt and suds as the lubricant to decontaminate the paint.

From there dry, polish and IMO just right to a LSP. You could IPA a test section to see what your polishing reveals but overall it's not necessary to IPA the whole car unless you're applying a coating of some sort.