PDA

View Full Version : Reconsidering

aztec1987
08-24-2016, 02:01 PM
So a few years ago I got called for an interview with a freight forwarding company (globally known) in which the pay was good (close to 50K a year) with benefits paid, vacations, sick days, floating holidays (union perks). It came to a time and place where someone pulled the plug on a new IT system which cost the company to pay out 135 million to cancel the project, global lay offs, and lost of customers. Eventually we got laid off and recalled back for work within 6 moths after. The union filed grievance (breach of contract since we are only suppose to get laid off due to significant amount lost of business), won the case, got a pay off for the time we were offered but sucks that they will deduct any unemployment earnings (I am in favor) any other income which includes if we got any new job after we got laid off (I am not in favor). I am left with chump change after the deductions maybe lucky to get a small crumb of the cake. The judge also favor in to call us back and offer us the positions, seniority, and pay as how we were left again. I declined the first time and now rumors are that they are doing a second round of call backs in which I am reconsidering in resigning my job and going back again. My concern is getting let go again after the contract renewal (we are not sure what the new contract will have). Where I am at I have to pay for my insurance, the pay is lower, have to do 40 hours of over time to make the same or equal what I have to make, schedule is Mon to Fri ( it is a plus), and work load is a lot. My previous employer paid me $5 more, insurance included with no additional cost, and do my 8 hours and leave, schedule bid too. IMO it would be nice to go back but job security plays a role. What do you guys think?

Company A:
- High pay ($5 more)
- Free health insurance no additional cost
- Vacations, floating holidays, sick days
- Low Seniority

Company B:
- Over time offered
- Have to work more to make as much or more than company B
- Pay my own insurance
- Non-union

GSKR
08-24-2016, 02:39 PM
Company a,self pay health insurance is out of control and only geos up every year.Factor in a family and your talking 12000 to 15000 a year for decent coverage.

Setec Astronomy
08-24-2016, 02:59 PM
Company a,self pay health insurance is out of control and only geos up every year.Factor in a family and your talking 12000 to 15000 a year for decent coverage.

All health insurance is out of control, I've never worked anywhere where the company-paid coverage doesn't go up every year, or offer reduced coverage, or both.

JeffM
08-24-2016, 03:05 PM
Tell the old company that you need 20% more then your making or why bother.

Matching 401k?

FUNX650
08-24-2016, 03:36 PM
Tell the old company that you need 20%
more then your making or why bother.

Matching 401k?
Doesn't the Old Company have
a CBA that governs pay scales?

401K? That would be part of that
CBA's overall economic package:
("a bargaining chip").

Bob

aztec1987
08-25-2016, 12:12 PM
To be honest it is, they made us fill out a new form about a month ago when I was enrolled a few months before that. As for company A the union paid for the health insurance as long we paid the union dues a month.

aztec1987
08-25-2016, 12:14 PM
To be honest company A is already at a higher pay scale than where I am at.......401K I really never looked into that until now that I am considering it. I am on my late 20's

aztec1987
08-25-2016, 12:15 PM
Company B I pay about $110.00 for the health insurance since I am by myself and have no dependents or family to input. If I had kids and wife then it would be $500.00 for me, my spouse, and child.

ducksfan
08-25-2016, 01:25 PM
I don't think it's possible to get good advice on a forum on a matter as complicated or as important as this. Too many other variables (the type of person you are; your financial situation; how much do you enjoy working at each company; ...) you haven't gone into and maybe can't put into writing significantly to help you. You don't know anyone about 50 something that knows you well and you respect how their life has gone that you can get to mentor you ?