PDA

View Full Version : 2 thin layers, better that one thick layer? (lsp?)

A1monky
10-29-2007, 09:00 PM
Since I started detailing using zaino and now I use AG products, I will still use 2 layers of wax or sealant. Using UPP, WG, or SS11, I will apply one layer then wait 12-14h then repeat. I know that this is a old topic, but I searched and didn't find much about this...
How about applying 2 thin layers of wax or sealant back to back?
For example going around the car once with a ultra thin layer of product, buffing it off, and repeat.
The theory is that the first layer never really cures, and the second layer just ensures coverage.
Has any one noticed this method to work well with AG products?

budman3
10-29-2007, 09:05 PM
Nothing bad is going to happen. A lot of people use this technique to ensure that they covered the area 100%. Since nothing has cured yet, there will be no added looks or durability, just full coverage. It is always a good idea to spread a thin layer ... anything more is just waste of product, only a microscopic layer actually stays on the paint.

Tonya
10-29-2007, 09:07 PM
Nothing bad is going to happen. A lot of people use this technique to ensure that they covered the area 100%. Since nothing has cured yet, there will be no added looks or durability, just full coverage. It is always a good idea to spread a thin layer ... anything more is just waste of product, only a microscopic layer actually stays on the paint.
:iagree: with :whs:... at least that is what AL-53 tells me. :D Two thin layers to ensure coverage.

A1monky
10-29-2007, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the replies. I will try this method with Four star UPP this weekend with my truck.

supercharged
10-30-2007, 02:51 AM
2 very thin layers always worked for me. Sealants and waxes.

Gary Sword
10-30-2007, 05:08 AM
2 thin layers works the best.

blk45
10-30-2007, 10:29 AM
Wouldn't it still be more beneficial to do two separate cured layers? You would ensure coverage, and for the most part you would have two layers instead of one.

As mentioned before, you should never use thick layers. It will only equal a lot of wasted product and harder removal.

A1monky
10-30-2007, 10:44 AM
I am sure that 2 layers 12-24h apart would be better. But sometimes I cant wait to drive my DD for a full day or 2. I do use very thin layers, I have become quite good at it actually. If I have the time I will always use 2 layers 12h apart.

ScottB
10-30-2007, 05:40 PM
My personal opinion is two coats of any sealant at most, and one of any wax. Sure you can use more, but likely just wasting product. Diminishing Returns ...

D
10-30-2007, 07:25 PM
Maybe you should find a new sealant that doesnt have such a long cure time?

A1monky
10-30-2007, 08:31 PM
Maybe you should find a new sealant that doesnt have such a long cure time?

I really like UPP, and WG. Once I run out of them I will try some ## offerings.

wytstang
10-30-2007, 11:34 PM
For waxes I normally wait an hour after the first coat to do it over. Sealants I wait next wash which is normally a week later to do the 2nd coat.

Al-53
10-31-2007, 06:35 AM
I always do 2 thin layers of a sealant or wax to ensure complete coverage....I do the first coat then buff off and then do another a few hours later...when doing the second coat the product applies much easier and thinner so you can be assured you got any missed spots....for a winter protection coat this is a good way to do it...you do not want any areas left unprotected...I also do by hand..a machine does not get in all the nooks and crannies....or around lenses under door handles and other tight areas...

AL