PDA

View Full Version : How Long Does It Take You To Do A Hand Wash/Wax?

steve1578
08-24-2016, 06:53 AM
Just wondering how long it takes most of your guys to do a basic detail on a car. That's wash(including wheel & tire), dry, clay, and wax. Yesterday I did just that, but also did an interior vacuum and I was done in just a little under 2 hours. I think I could do the car in about 1-1.5 hours if I was focused just on that. I'm doing some time studies so I can make accurate quotes for people who want to drop off their vehicle. I'm looking to do this part time and have some people showing interest.
Thanks guys!

ArnoldLayne
08-24-2016, 07:20 AM
I am wondering why it matters what some x or y or z takes to wash and wax their car influence how fast or slow you can work. Isn't this dependent on person to person?

Wouldn't it make sense to find out how much other people in your area are charging and charge accordingly instead of charging based on how long it takes you?

Damn, if I were a detailer and I charge people according to the pace I work and they actually paid me for it, I'd be rolling in a bed of cash :)

If I were you, I'd find out what others are charging around you to do the same job and charge accordingly (maybe slightly less if you want to be competitive to earn new business)

JeffM
08-24-2016, 07:23 AM
If you wash with onr and clay with optimum spray wax and dry it will save you some time.

steve1578
08-24-2016, 08:42 AM
I am wondering why it matters what some x or y or z takes to wash and wax their car influence how fast or slow you can work. Isn't this dependent on person to person?

Wouldn't it make sense to find out how much other people in your area are charging and charge accordingly instead of charging based on how long it takes you?

Damn, if I were a detailer and I charge people according to the pace I work and they actually paid me for it, I'd be rolling in a bed of cash :)

If I were you, I'd find out what others are charging around you to do the same job and charge accordingly (maybe slightly less if you want to be competitive to earn new business)

Thanks for the response! The time it takes others won't influence me, I was just wondering. I have things priced based on local competition. I never said I was going to adjust my rate of speed based off of yours, just wondering how long you guys take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlc95
08-24-2016, 10:21 PM
About an hour and half.

WillSports3
08-24-2016, 10:39 PM
I use UWW so an hour total if I was to wax. That's if I'm rushed for time and need to hustle and bustle. If it's just me relaxing, I unno two hours? Three hours? Have a cigar in the middle..

dcjredline
08-24-2016, 11:55 PM
I dont clay if I am not going to polish.

A wash and wax usually will take me about 2 hours for a family sized sedan. Ford Taurus/Fusion.

aliitp
08-25-2016, 03:29 AM
1 hour full water pressure wash, maybe less, i don't wax at all as car is coated + sealed so wax for me is a thing of the past, also if your customer's car interior is not as clean as the exterior then you probably haven't done a full detail as I think they spend more time INSIDE the car than simply admiring it from the outside !.. got my point ?...

Mantilgh
08-25-2016, 06:03 AM
That is really dependent on the condition of the vehicle, and of course size plays a role too.

I can do my personal vehicle in that time, but can rarely do a customers that fast nor do I really try too. As long as I'm happy with what I'm getting paid for it, I'll try to do a thorough job.

ScottH
08-25-2016, 07:14 AM
My wife's car or mine I can do in an hour each. That is because they get washed each week (minimally, sometimes more) and they are hand waxed at least 6 times a year. So it doesn't take long. Regarding other people's cars, I've never just washed them and waxed them. At a minimum I also do an AIO or polish, and then a wax - so that usually takes 3-4 hours. Anything less and I feel as if I am not being thorough.

FUNX650
08-25-2016, 07:20 AM
I dont clay if I am not going to polish.
^^^This^^^

•Claying would not be included
in my basic/Wash & Wax detail.
-That process will up-the-ante
for services performed.

Bob

jeepbrew
08-27-2016, 12:14 AM
^^^This^^^

•Claying would not be included
in my basic/Wash & Wax detail.
-That process will up-the-ante
for services performed.

Bob

Not to mention is best to polish after clay as you'll likely induce some marring.

suf420
08-27-2016, 12:16 AM
Clayed using Bilt Hamber Regular Clay and Dodojuice Born slippy car lube

Polished by Poorboys Black Hole Show Glaze

1 Layer of Poorboys Natty's Paste Wax

1 layer of Dodojuice Purple Haze

All chrome and alloys polished with Autosol Metal Polish

Wheels sealed with Poorboys Wheel Sealant

Tyres dressed with Meguiars Endurance Tyre Gel

Engine Detailed with Autoglym Engine Cleaner & Degreaser

Plastic and trims rejuvenated with Autoglym Trim and Plastic Cleaner

Windows Clayed and Cleaned with Autoglym Fast Glass

Headlights polished with Meguiars Ultimate Compound

Leather seats cleaned and conditioned with Gliptone Leather Cleaner and Conditioner

Interior cleaned with Poorboys Natural Look Dressing

All in all 5 hours from start to finish

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eautogeekonline%2E net%2Fforum%2Fshowpost%2Ephp%3Fp%3D1418846&share_tid=55220&share_fid=2622&share_type=t&share_pid=1418846